COMPLAINT: Baggage lost forever

Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:41 PM
Kerry Scott Kerry Scott is offline

Join Date: Aug 2016

I flew Business Class London to Sydney via Delhi on January 4th 2016. 2 hold bags out of three failed to arrive and we were told they were held in Delhi having failed to meet the connection. About 6 other people on the flight had the same problem.
We were told that they would be on the next flight to Sydney. We flew to Fiji a day later - no bags had arrived.
A week later on retrning to Sydney I checked with the Baggage handling agent DNATA at the airport office and was told they had no record of the bags arriving but I could look around to see if I recognised them. I did and found 1 of the bags.
I continued to chase DNATA for updates but was never called back either by DNATA or Air India; I also called the Air India Baggage operation in Delhi who appeared to be completely incompetent. According to the Air India terms of travel, I was supposed to receive a 50 compensation for a bag delayed more than 36 hours. This has never been received.
Despite many calls and emails over the next 2 months the bag has never shown up but Air India refused to declare the bag lost so I was unable to claim either from them or my insurance company.
Eventually, in May, 2 months after I returned to the UK, the Insurance Company accepted that the bag was lost and paid a claim some 800 less than the value of the items in the bag as apparently they don't cover electrical items, computers, sports equipment etc etc. The lost bag has now disappeared off the World Tracer Baggage tracking system (why?). I have had no contact from Air India at any time other than telephone calls I made to their Delhi (maybe Mumbai?) Baggage operation.

Beforfe this catastrophe I flew many times with Air India as their serviuce to Sydney is convenient, the airplane (787) excellent and their airside hotel in Delhi extremely relaxing hafway through the trip.
However, never again.
I could forgive them for losing a bag but not the desperate customer service and total disregard to a passenger at a time of considerable stress, without clothes, equipment, valuable items etc.

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Cancled delayed lost baggage delay baggage no refund no reimb gopi British Airways Complaints 0 Mar 5, 2016 5:09 PM
Customer Service Forever to answer phones Rolydamian Customer Service 3 Jun 13, 2011 5:33 PM