Old Jun 25, 2010, 2:45 AM
cwolcott cwolcott is offline

Join Date: Jun 2010
Default Beware sticky fingers with United

A few weeks ago my family and I flew out of Washington/Dulles with United. I had a small bag to check and dutifully did that at the ticket counter. I had packed 3 different chargers for various electronics (who wants to carry that through security if you don't need it) in the luggage. The chargers were nothing big; just a camera charger, a phone charger, and a MP3 player charger. Upon arrival in Fresno, Ca. those chargers were no where to be found.

During my stay I tried to call United but was told to send an email on their website instead. So upon my return to Washington D.C. I got on their website and filed a nice letter of explanation. United's response was "Please know that United does not assume liability for electronic and
photographic equipment." and they suggested I go to my personal insurance to have them cover the "lost" items. I don't know about anyone else but this to me says "we let our employees take whatever they want out of your luggage and we're not going to do a thing about it". Maybe I'm just naive enough to believe that when I pay someone to deliver something I expect it to arrive the way it was packed.

So for the rest of you, don't follow my stupid mistakes. Not only did the plan ticket cost me an arm and a leg but add to that the baggage "handling" fees and now replacement of chargers. I will not be flying United again!
Old Jun 25, 2010, 3:40 AM

Originally Posted by cwolcott
That's where you're wrong. They are not respsonsible for electronics so it's only those items they condone their employees taking. Other things are off limits.

Just a sad bit of humor. Seriously, You are entitled to your belongings, obviously. A nicely worded letter to the DOT may help and if not, gather all your documents of flight and and correspondence with UA and sue them in small claims. Their exemptions won't hold up in front of a judge.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 6:04 AM
justme justme is offline
Delta Air Lines Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ATL

I always find it a bit amusing when passengers think that we (airline employees) 1) care enough to look in their bag 2) have the time 3) want your piddly little chargers that are worthless and 4) automatically assume that it was the airline doing the pilfering. Obviously, like Judge said, everything you packed in your bag should still be there when you arrive at your final destination, but don't be so quick to blame the airline employees who don't want your stuff and don't have the time or motivation to take it. There are lots of other people who handle your bags between you checking them in, and when you get them back.
I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside. Run, he's fuzzy, get out of here.
- Mitch Hedberg
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:27 PM
cortney cortney is offline

Join Date: Sep 2009

you can send a complaint to the tsa as well since they are the ones that go through your luggage after you hand it over to united.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:18 PM

Justme....Google hidden camera exposes by CBS 60 minutes and MSNBC. You will probably find video evidence of airline employees who didn't want the passengers stuff, rifling through bags they weren't interested in, stealing stuff despite their lack of motivation and time. In fact, you may find that if you google long enough, you will find the disposition of court cases in JFK, Miami and Atlanta, where the baggage handlers of some pretty big airlines found they had plenty of time on their hands, not long after they had appeared before a Judge.

The airlines, to avoid being held liable, seek to exempt themselves from basic common law rights. In doing so, they are actively colluding with and condoning the small number of airline employees who are thieves.

Virgin Australia - beware jbarb Other Airline Complaints 17 Oct 13, 2009 1:02 PM
Frequent Flyer Program Buyer beware RogerG23 American Airlines Complaints 13 Feb 14, 2009 6:43 AM
Customer Service We are being $taken$ Buyer beware bobswife25 United Airlines Complaints 4 Feb 6, 2009 1:21 AM