COMPLAINT: In Flight-In Cabin Theft Jet Airways

Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:28 PM
JackDusty JackDusty is offline

Join Date: Mar 2012

Myself and my travelling companion, Joyce were returning from a Saga Holidays trip to Thailand on the 17 February 2012.

On the Mumbai to London Heathrow leg of the return home on a Jet Airways flight (who claim to be India's largest airline) Joyce's handbag was stolen and her two purses were emptied of cash.

The sum involved is £160 GBP, $200 USD & 3000 Thai Bhat (Total Approx. £360 GPB).

The Aircraft was darkened after a meal was served so that the passengers could sleep. Her handbag was at her feet under the seat as instructed by the crew. She went to sleep and after roughly an hour awoke and went to get her handbag, to her dismay it was not under the seat by her. After a search an object which could have been a blanket was spotted a couple of rows in front of me , this turned out to be her handbag,

When she opened her bag two purses had been emptied, with the cash as noted above missing. Significantly any thing with her name on it, ie. Passport or bank Cards were not missing, suggesting that the thief was very aware of not taking anything attributable.

We rang the attendant call button and a stewardess came to see us. She was obviously taken by surprise and did not know what to do, she said that she would inform her supervisor the senior steward.

The senior steward (Rhoni) did not come to see us for some considerable time as he was said to be ‘on a break’ and then ‘very busy with the First Class Cabin’. We found this strange for the report of such a serious incident.

Rhoni was again obviously struggling to know how to resond to this incident and it would seem that a Protocol does not exist by Jet Airways of theft in flight. We asked if the aircraft Captain had been informed and was told yes. We asked if the Police had been informed in London so that they would meet the plane and interview passengers and got an oblique answer which we took to be no.

On arrival at Heathrow everyone, including the thief or thieves were allowed to disembark and disappear. A representative from Jet Airways met us at the top of the air-bridge and said she had contacted the Police who would come to take a statement and give Joyce a Crime Number.

The Police accompanied us back on board to view the crime scene and to do a brief search to see if the cash had been dumped by the thief/thieves.

We feel very strongly that Jet Airways have a Duty of Care for passengers whilst airborne and that they should have protocols that the crew should be trained in.

We are looking to Jet Airways to reimburse Joyce to the sum of £360.00 GPB.

Jet Airways have written back saying they are sorry etc etc but that they have no liability for passengers luggage, monies etc and want nothing more to do with it.

What else can we do, it seems very strange that you can be in a sealed environment and be robbed with no redress?

Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:08 PM

I agree... You might want to talk to Saga. However, I am not sure the police woud be willing to detain hundreds of people, to investigate a crime involving te theft of £360. I think this could be a travel insurance claim I'm afraid.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:37 PM
JackDusty JackDusty is offline

Join Date: Mar 2012

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
Thanks Jimworcs,

Currently claiming on RBS Royalties Gold but there is a £50 excess even if they cough up!

Graham.

Racist Kuwait Airways Cabin Crew Member Amarasinghe Other Airline Complaints 1 Apr 27, 2011 11:18 PM
In-flight Issue Onboard Theft on AA Flight SoCalCool American Airlines Complaints 4 Apr 8, 2011 7:54 AM
Customer Service British Airways cabin crew vote to strike over Christmas holidays AirlineComplaints.org British Airways Complaints 16 Aug 10, 2010 11:13 PM