COMPLAINT: Blame it on the weather "NOT"

Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:26 PM
waterbobb waterbobb is offline

Join Date: Dec 2009

I recently changed positions with my company that requires me to now travel across country instead of within the Western US. I have always been a loyal Southwest customer, however with my changing needs, decided to fly with American Airlines. I now know that was a mistake.
My trip began with American Airlines (AA) in Omaha, Nebraska, Tuesday December 8 headed to Chicago. This was an American Eagle flight. My travel partner and I changed our flight to an earlier flight due to the coming snow storm. After a relatively smooth boarding process in Omaha, we began to push back from the gate and stopped….we were told that because of we sat at the gate for so long, and because of some changes in contingency plans, we did not have enough fuel. We returned back to the gate and put additional fuel in the plane and then pushed back from the gate and to the de-icing staging area. A de-icing truck arrived, and promptly broke down while beginning the de-icing process. It took a mechanic over 2 hours to get the truck moving again (it appeared to be an issue with the brakes). Meanwhile, airplane after airplane was being de-iced and released for takeoff. Once the truck was repaired, we were de-iced and took off. These delays caused us to take sit on the aircraft for an additional 3 hours. Why was there not another de-icing truck sent to complete the job? Why wasn’t your de-icing equipment better maintained with the coming winter? Poor maintenance and poor contingency planning caused this flight to be significantly delayed, causing us to miss our connection in Chicago…which is another paragraph filled with issues.
Once arriving in Chicago, we were scheduled to leave Chicago headed to Rochester, Minnesota departing at 5:40 pm on another American Eagle flight (Flight 4049). We boarded the plane and sat at the gate. Again, the first de-icing plane that arrived broke down and was unable to de-ice the aircraft. We waited approximately 1 hour for a second de-icing truck to arrive. We were successfully de-iced and ready to depart; however, the AA gate attendant had not pulled the gate back far enough for our plane to successfully leave the gate. We waited for an additional hour, yes, an hour, whey someone was located to simply move the gate back about another 10 feet…..we then left the gate and headed toward the runway…when we arrived at the runway, our captain pulled over to the side, and came on the intercom after sitting there 15 minutes and announced that because of all of the delays (incompetence), we now did not have enough fuel to go to our destination. He told us we had to return to the gate to refuel, and de-ice again! We returned to the gate and refueled. The captain then told us we were still on to go to Rochester, but had to de-ice again first. The de-icing process was started and then stopped. The captain came on the intercom and announced the flight was cancelled. However, the issues and incompetence did not end there.
The flight attendant on the flight was extremely rude. He stomped around the aircraft, slamming doors and being very abrasive and belligerent to passengers. One passenger wanted to know if he could get off the plane when we came back to the gate to refuel and de-ice again to get something to eat. Instead of simply answering the man, he came on the intercom and told all of us, “If you get off this plane, you are not getting back on. I am not standing in your way, you do what you want” And that is a direct quote. He angered many of the passengers….Once the flight was cancelled, we were told that the agent at gate 19 would assist us in rebooking our flights, that we should make sure to stop at the gate for assistance. All of us left the aircraft and formed a line at gate 19, where a flight to Columbus OH was about to board. The gate agent was unreasonable, rude, and confrontational. She told us to “Get out of the way, I am not going to help you. I have another flight to board. You will have to go somewhere else” Passengers were confused and did not know what to do. Instead of politely giving instructions, she barked out that she wasn’t going to help us and to get out of the way. I asked for her name, and she told me “I’m not telling you my name, ask someone else” and then began talking loudly into the intercom at the gate so that I could no longer talk with her…..unacceptable, totally unacceptable behavior.
So, after sitting on a small commuter plane for almost 4 hours, watching one incompetent action after another, while enduring a rude, obnoxious flight attendant….we were again abused at the gate by an agent that was supposed to assist us.
I have been traveling for over 15 years and I have never seen such incompetence nor endured such rude, obnoxious, irresponsible customer service. I have been a happy Southwest customer for many years. American Airlines has certainly left its negative mark on not only me as a customer, but everyone on that flight. This was the worst customer service experience I have ever had. I understand bad weather, delays, even cancellations…but when you have a company whose total business model is based on good customer service, proper maintenance of its equipment, and providing a service….you better make great improvements to survive. American Airlines is not an airline that I nor my coworkers will fly again in the future.

Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:19 AM

Wow.. sounds like a Delta experience.. arrogant, nasty liars.. what the hell is going on in the training rooms of US based airlines?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:33 AM

I knew somehow this would get around to being DL's fault. Maybe the employees were laid-off from DL and got picked up by AA.

Weather days are never much fun to be flying in or working at the airport. Not making excuses at all for the rudeness or behaviour of the employees but shedding a little light on the other issues.

The deicing truck breakdown at the first airport (and even the second) is a mechanical issue and happens to equipment. Yes, is should be upkept better. Yes, it shouldn't happen but it does. They way it was handled though sounds pathetic. Move the trucks by pushing them out of the way, de-ice with another vehicle and get you on your way. Not rocket science.

The parts about having to refuel and de-ice are safety issues and you should be happy they take such care in monitoring these. On weather days, a pilot (in his mind) can never have enough gas. He will always push for more. During his briefing with the dispatcher, he may have requested it and been denied. Later, during the delay for de-icing, he may have gone below minimum fuel or the weather may have changed enroute prompting more fuel to be added. De-icing also takes time to be done properly. Sometimes, it has to be done more than once depending on how much snow is falling. Once to be de-iced, once to be anti-iced. I'm just guessing but don't be upset because of these 2 issues.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:21 PM

Even I don't blame Delta for that one Troy... just thought it sounded like something they would do!!

The issue is not the safety issue.. de-icing and fuel parameters are absolutely essential and there is no complaint about that. However, the inability to cope with simple, routine things such as truck breakdowns. Other aircraft being de-iced ahead of them whilst passengers are trapped in a tube with no options and rude and hostile staff are the issues
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:50 AM

ditto to the above.

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked 2nd time flight cancelled due to "weather" Scott Carson Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked 14 Sep 13, 2009 7:17 AM