Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked
COMPLAINT: Ticket cancelled ! Screwing up our Christmas !

Old Dec 23, 2009, 1:20 AM

Hello,

My girlfriend bought a ticket (she is taking the flight right now...):
IND-ORD ORD-FRA (roundtrip FRA-ORD ORD-IND)

However, she didnt take the first flight from indy to chicago, because she decided to visit a friend there. So she went directly to o'hare and tried to check-in. The AA employee refused her and said the ticket was cancelled because the first part "IND-ORD" had not been used...
So AA asked her to pay 3000$ to get a new ticket for the exact same flight !
Finally, after cries, AA told her she "only" had to pay 250$... what she did, but I still find it unacceptable.

I dont understand !!! A friend of mine did exactly the same thing 1 year ago, and it worked !!! Since when can't people use their ticket as they want to ?

Does someone know if there is any chance we could ask for a refund or something ?

Thank you...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Dec 23, 2009, 1:57 AM

You have no chance of a refund, as the airlines operate this policy in order to ensure that they can continue to use byzantine charging mechanisms which exploit their market positions. This is how it works.

AA is dominant in Chicago and so is able to exploit it's position to charge high prices for Chicago routes. However, travellers from other cities have other options and can go via other cities. Therefore, the market works to bring down the cost of that ticket. Therefore, it is often cheaper to fly say from Indianapolis to Frankfurt, via Chicago that to fly from Chicago to Frankfurt on the exact same flight. Years ago, customers realised this and started booking segments they had no intention of flying. What happened? The airlines, instead of adjusting their pricing to be more transparent and fair, adjusted their rules instead "allowing" them to continue to rip off customers and extort money.

Regulation is your only saviour.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 2:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
You have no chance of a refund, as the airlines operate this policy in order to ensure that they can continue to use byzantine charging mechanisms which exploit their market positions. This is how it works.

AA is dominant in Chicago and so is able to exploit it's position to charge high prices for Chicago routes. However, travellers from other cities have other options and can go via other cities. Therefore, the market works to bring down the cost of that ticket. Therefore, it is often cheaper to fly say from Indianapolis to Frankfurt, via Chicago that to fly from Chicago to Frankfurt on the exact same flight. Years ago, customers realised this and started booking segments they had no intention of flying. What happened? The airlines, instead of adjusting their pricing to be more transparent and fair, adjusted their rules instead "allowing" them to continue to rip off customers and extort money.

Regulation is your only saviour.
Be careful, Jim. A return to regulated fares would mean many who can afford to fly now would no longer be able to do so. Fewer passengers would mean fewer flights, furloughed employees, fewer orders for new aircraft...

Any US airline has the right to market fares at a price it thinks the market will bear. If that means lower fares from IND vs. ORD to FRA even though it's operated on the same aircraft then so be it. A person originating in ORD may very well be willing to shell out more especially for a non-stop flight. Perhaps it they don't like the prices on AA or UA from ORD they should then buy a ticket from US Airways ad connect through PHL.

Originally Posted by Laffy View Post
I dont understand !!! A friend of mine did exactly the same thing 1 year ago, and it worked !!! Since when can't people use their ticket as they want to ?

Does someone know if there is any chance we could ask for a refund or something ?

Thank you...
Your GF had a ticket from IND to FRA not ORD to FRA. When she showed up in ORD she was no longer using her original ticket but wanted to use just part of for which there would be a re-fare and change fee. The fact that they let her slide with just the change fee should be more than acceptable.

Last edited by PHXFlyer; Dec 23, 2009 at 2:19 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 3:56 AM

The main thing that bugs me about the OP's complaint is that it sounds like she cried and then got her way and only had to pay ther 250.00. If one someone didn't cry they would be stuck paying the higher amount for breaking the fare.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 5:25 AM
Banned

Happens all the time. A good cry will get a woman out of a speeding ticket. Being young and good looking doesn't hurt either!