In-flight Issue
COMPLAINT: Uncomfortable Flying Experience

Old Apr 4, 2010, 9:28 PM

There is not enough legroom! Not all airlines have the problem. Virgin America, for one, was very comfortable, even in coach. And I am not affiliated with them in any way! Here's my video review of this:
http://bit.ly/9SSHiq
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Apr 4, 2010, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by ArnieBenn View Post
There is not enough legroom! Not all airlines have the problem. Virgin America, for one, was very comfortable, even in coach. And I am not affiliated with them in any way! Here's my video review of this:
http://bit.ly/9SSHiq
In neither your post or your video, you say how tall you are. I'm 6'7", and usually try to get in the bulkhead or emergency exit row.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 11:40 PM

Back in 2000, American removed rows of coach seats – roughly 7,200 or 6.2% of the total number in the fleet – in a failed attempt to differentiate on the basis of comfort. What the airline found was that consumers were ultimately swayed far more by price than legroom, or service, or any other factor for that matter. Consumers in the United States were (and are still) more than happy to be crushed like sardines if it would save them $20 or $40 on a cross-country flight. By late 2004, American had already put the seat rows back in all their 757 and A300 aircraft when they decided to reverse the financially disastrous move fleet-wide.

What kind of aircraft did you fly in on AA? An American 757 has economy pitch of 31” to 32” while a Virgin A319 has 32” to 33” – not a significant difference. Are you sure you weren’t seated in Virgin’s “Select Class” of economy?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:31 AM

I am 5'11" by the way.

That attempt was doomed to fail because of the airline industry's prices. They fluctuate so, the consumers certainly don't understand them, so any leveraging of other value items, which, you are right, only shift the price $20-40 here or there, is lost in the buffer zone of normal price fluctuations.
Let me lay some radical thinking on you. If you care about your customers, and more, if you trust your customers, set standard prices for flights, irrespective of when you buy. Other airlines will be forced to match your prices. Then, differentiating yourselves based on comfort, or other value items, will mean something.
But right now it's a quagmire. And consumers are frustrated and flying is a damn pain. Who's going to show leadership? The closest thing we have is Branson. Who's going to challenge him?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 4:30 PM

Frontier offers 5 extra inches of legroom in the first 4 rows of every aircraft for $0-$25.00 per flight (depending on your fare level) and United offers "Economy Plus" for a fare premium also, although I think it depends on the distance.