Reservations
COMPLAINT: Unused Tickets not honored

Old Mar 16, 2007, 1:38 AM

I purchase 6 tickets through a Delta Air Lines outlet in Hollywood, California. During the purchase of these ticket I was informed by the Delta Air Lines representative handling this transaction that these tickets would be valid for two years after purchase.

I was unable to use 1 ticket because of a family emergency and havent the time nor financial resource to make any travel plans. I contacted Delta Air Lines and was informed over the phone that this ticket was still valid as long as I renew the ticket over the phone and was under the impression that as long as I continue to call this ticket would remain valid. The last time I called, I was informed that this ticket was no longer valid and I was out $346.15.

I feel that Delta Air Lines should honor this ticket. I was misled about the life of this ticket. It doesnt seem fair that Delta Air Lines has taken my money and has not allow me the experience of travel.

If a Delta Air Lines representative can please get back to me on this matter it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Jun 6, 2007, 6:32 AM

This web site has no connection with Delta what so ever. This web site is for people to vent their complaints only.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:45 PM
Delta Air Lines Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

WTF??

You buy 6!!!! tickets but don't have the time to travel?

We got a genius here!!
Old Sep 25, 2007, 8:11 AM

""this ticket was still valid as long as I renew the ticket over the phone and was under the impression that as long as I continue to call this ticket would remain valid.....""

You were under an "impression". So when your impression doesn't fit with reality, then you complaint....

An airlines doen't work with impression but rules and facts. You should have your facts straight. Period.

BTW , where did you get this idea that the more you call , the longer the ticket is valid?

Pure madness..
Old Apr 3, 2009, 3:44 PM
Banned
Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Tickets are valid for 1 year from the issue date, not 2? It doesn't matter what was "said" on the phone, what matters is what is "written" on the terms and conditions that you should have read.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:41 PM

Originally Posted by mgarcia View Post
During the purchase of these ticket I was informed these tickets would be valid for two years after purchase.
Domestic - You must COMPLETE travel by 1 year from the date of purchase.

International - You must BEGIN travel by 1 year from the date of purchase. After begining travel you have 1 year to return.

**If you are going to miss your international travel and need to reschedule you must cancel BEFORE YOUR SCHEDULED DEPARTURE TIME or else you will lose the value of your ticket.

How does Delta know that you did in fact call and cancel in advance? Only if the agent documented the ticket with date and time of your call. The majority of agents neglect to do this. It is IMPERATIVE that you confirm and reconfirm with the agent that they documented the date and time of your call on the TICKET and NOT JUST on the reservation. Again MAKE SURE THEY DOCUMENT THE TICKET. To be a 1000% sure they did this hang up and dail another agent and get them to confirm that there is documentation on the ticket stating you indeed cancelled in advance. You must follow the above steps to safeguard yourself.

Yes this is very prehistoric but unfortunately at this time we have not been provided with any form of electronic tracking. If the agent only documents the reservation and not the ticket we MAY BE able to dig in the archives 3 months back, at which point it expires. But don't rely on this as trying to find documentation from an expired reservation is very unreliable!

If you are in the unfortunate situation of calling and being told that there is no proof that you cancelled your international flights in advance and that you have no value left in your ticket then request to speak to a "supervisor". They may be willing to over ride this in extenuating circumstances or if they believe your story.

Some helpful info:
When you buy a ticket let's say for $200 and you cancel your flight you basically have a voucher with Delta for $200 to use on something else. Of course, you will lose a chunk of it as a Penalty also known as a Reissue Fee. Below are some of the current penalties (the amount Delta will keep from your unused ticket):

Domestic - $150
Domestic Shuttle - $75
Internation Coach - $250
Internation Discount Business - $400

Last edited by DL_ Employee_Pax_Smpthizr; Aug 27, 2009 at 7:42 PM. Reason: Confusing info.