COMPLAINT: More than Upset

Old Sep 9, 2009, 2:38 PM

Join Date: Sep 2009

After 8 years since I had seen my family, I chose AA to take me home from Boston, MA for a quick two-week vacation to Brazil.
The first flight at 7:30pm was delayed due to bad weather(perhaps in Indonesia because it was beautiful in Boston and eastern US) and I begged the AA employee not to board because I didn't want to spend the night in an airport. She ordered me to board as my luggage was already in the aircraft(they called that an aircraft) or I would have the ticket cancelled and she guaranteed me I was good. I boarded frustrated expecting things would be better. The connection in NY's JFK took off 10 mins earlier and I could see from my plane the gate from where the plane to Sao Paulo was leaving. I was devastated and asked the flight attendant(or "fight" attendant) if he could do something to help me. His answer was: " Good Luck ".
I spent the night at NY's JFK outside the security area where the homeless usually spend their nights, lots of them. Not a place to seat was available and the AA employee showed me the way to a bench that could barely fit half of a small butt. It was like I was talking to a 6'x6' refrigerator with no signs of willing to understand me and my frustration. I stood all night.
At 3:30 am another AA employee told me she was going to try to book me to Miami and then Sao Paulo. She did it and guaranteed me my luggage was going with me(where to?) The flight to Miami was full, stinky and hot because the A/C was very low. I arrived in Sao Paulo at 10:30pm after 4 hours of laying over in Miami. My luggage didn't arrive, even after being guaranteed, again, in Miami that they were on the plane. My medication for the next 24 hours was not in my carry-on because my trip was supposed to last 12 hours and it lasted 30 hours.
I got my luggage on the next day at 9 pm, 52 hours after leaving my home in Boston. To my surprise, my luggage was all messed up and many items were missing, including electronics. NO ONE knows what could have happened and I am still fighting to get my belongings back.
OH! I almost forgot! AA credited my account with 2500 bonus miles.
I couldn't be happier. And I don't want to write about the flight back to US. What a failure.
Please AA, get lost!

Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:50 PM

Join Date: Sep 2009

ok, your going to get alot of this, and i cant believe people still do this....NEVER EVER check your meds in your luggage or anything valuable!!! bottom line for that. airlines wont cover electronics in you checked baggage. you said yourself that the flight was delayed due to weather, thats beyond the airlines control, as frustrating that may be to be late. the flight attendant really cant help you out too much. she doesn't have a computer to rebook you, all she/he could do for you was to tell you to talk to an agent. dont ever take an airlines word that they are going to guarentee your bag being there...we all know stories lol. did you try asking for a distress passenger rate at a local hotel? or even get a hotel? the end of your post sounds to me that the one agent did their best and managed to get you to your destination.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 11:32 PM

The whole point of this post is that this chain of events was created not by the weather but by the intransigence of the AA employee. What happened here is the customer tried to get a common sense solution, but was refused for the convenience of the airline.

The weather delayed the initial flight. The customer was aware that this would result in a missed connection in JFK and asked to be taken off the flight and rebooked the following day. This was refused.

That was unreasonable, and the whole chain of events which created a nightmare for the customer could have been avoided. Airlines will not act in the interests of passengers because they operate complex monopolies. Monopolies never act in the interests of consumers, which is why most countries impose significant regulation on industries in which this is a problem.

Since de-regulation, the US has seen it's airline industry go down the pan. They are poorly managed, often loss making, have stripped employees of decent pay and benefits and are utterly immune to normal market pressures and the need to compete for customers. They also pay large sums of money to line the pockets of members of Congress to ensure that it continues to be that way.

The only people who benefit from this are stockholders and senior management, who get rich at the expense of the ordinary Joe, whilst treating them like crap. Why that is allowed to continue in the worlds greatest democracy is beyond me.... or maybe it is just no longer the worlds greatest democracy.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 11:38 PM
justme justme is offline
Delta Air Lines Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ATL

Originally Posted by jimworcs
All I can say about that comment is... AMEN! How true it is and how right you are. Wish that wasn't the case, but it is.
I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside. Run, he's fuzzy, get out of here.
- Mitch Hedberg
Old Sep 9, 2009, 11:53 PM

Join Date: Sep 2009

ok...first of all, the poster never stated that he asked to be rebooked. they only say that they begged not to board because he didnt want to sleep in an airport. to me its sounding that he didnt want to board therefore the agent said then were going to cancel your ticket (etc). he never stated that the airline refused to rebook him. I can kind of see (from an employees side) of why they wanted him to board...they would have to dig through the cargo bins, find his bag(s) and offload them causing a delay for those passengers plus the passengers in JFK waiting for the plane and getting out of JFK itself is a pain.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:48 AM

Join Date: Sep 2009

Thank you guys, but I asked to be rebooked many times after that and was willing to leave my luggage at the airport to come back next day. I tried all possible solutions, politely begged for help or instructions and was denied everything by people saying "good luck", "I am doing my best", or "there's nothing I/we can do". Plus they said in Boston that the delay was due to bad weather in NYC(awesome night) and when I was in JFK the reason was air traffic jam. Who should I believe in? I have friends working at airlines and would never disrespect one of them because I know it's not their fault. If they are underpaid, they can find another job but do your best no matter what job you perform and you are paid for. It's unacceptable that a customer service representative has no access to a computer to at least try to help the person who's also paying his/her salary. AA won't see me again and I'll recuperate the eletronics or be reimbursed for it, no matter what they say.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 1:16 AM

Join Date: Sep 2009

i wouldnt doubt the ATC delay. especially in JFK. and just because the weather is nice in JFK or BOS doesn't mean its nice at their alternatate airport (in case of emergency) or your destination. I landed at an airport in new jersey (not a commercial airport, cant give out the name due to my rules at my airline) and we had an hour delay (couldnt take off) because the weather in philly was bad and they shut down the airport and airspace on the east coast (hurricane danny). in this economy, i wish anybody luck in finding a job, even though the airlines pay us crap its just not reasonable (in these days to quit). I will agree now that i see that you tried to get the help, AA could have done better. i wish you luck, but i think your sol on the electronic thing.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:22 AM

Essentially, in this case, the reason for the delay is irrelevant. The OP could have been helped by AA, but they chose not to, because in the de-regulated environment, the airlines don't care about the customer. This is the reason that passengers are held hostage on planes, lied to, have ridiculously unfair terms and conditions imposed on them and are ripped off. The issue of whether the delay was due to weather or other reasons, is that it has become almost routine for customers to be lied to. It is a common experience for customers to be given two or three different reasons for a flight delay. This can significantly effect compensation entitlement, and the truth is... many airline employers are LIARS.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 2:49 PM

Join Date: Sep 2009

I agree I was lied to ALL the time. There might be a few good ones out there and I am not the one who's gonna try to find them at AA.

Customer Service Flight 1105 upset,confused, where do I stand? Dawn Customer Service 21 Mar 4, 2009 8:00 AM
Customer Service Flight 1105 upset,confused, where do I stand? Dawn Customer Service 0 Feb 26, 2009 12:05 AM