COMPLAINT: Forced to wait 6hours in Delhi to print boarding pass - IN A HALLWAY

Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:42 PM
ccaps ccaps is offline

Join Date: Jan 2010

Routing through Delhi as a single woman with one checked bag and a first class (mileage upgrade) ticket - is a nightmare. You will get screwed by either the airline or the airport. Get a visa and go through the external line - at least there is interesting people watching. . . On my group trip, AA staff were so condascending, rude, and ill equipped to deal with passengers, it was the MOST HORRENDOUS experience I have ever had. I travelled extensively, and have had better service in developing nations' airports - with dirt runways, intermittent power, and no English. There is no excuse for AA staff's behavior.

What happened: After going through an elaborate transfer desk and security search, all transfer passengers were shuffled into a wing of the airport with no signs or employees from any airline. Just seats, a phone, and tea stand. No one from our flight had a clue what was to happen next - where to go or what to do. So we all got on the phone and tried to call the airline desk at the airport. I very proactively tried to get my luggage and go into the gate to wait for my flight - instead, I was given three incorrect telephone numbers to AA by airport staff (clearly trying to get me out of their face rather than do any actual work) and told to wait until I was called - some 3hours later.

The woman who 'helped me' grudgingly took my boarding pass and asked me to wait in a hallway until she 'found my bag' and got me another boarding pass. I was there for 3 MORE HOURS, before she returned with no explanation, no hurry, no baggage, and a boarding pass for a lower class seat. Now, I had cashed in ALL my miles for an upgrade - and she laughed derisively when I told her that I was confirmed in 1st class.

During my entrapment in this random airport hallway, all AA staff were rude and refused to even try to help me - the men leered at me, I was whistled at by AA staffers despite my conservative dress/appearance, and told to wait for '5 minutes' in the hall despite all my attempts to get information or service of any kind.

I understand that we make choices to fly with certain carriers based on price/availability/schedules and that customer loyalty is often an empty threat to an airline these days. . .but my business will never launch in Delhi because of AA staff and airport workers. I simply cannot ask my clients to deal with the misery I went through. I also will not be heading there anytime soon.

Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:01 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

First:

Originally Posted by ccaps View Post
The airline does not make policy with respect to visas and who gets entry into certain parts of the airport etc. I'm assuming that without a visa and because of your country of citizenship you were relegated to some sort of transit lounge and were not allowed out into the public areas of the airport. How is this the airline's fault?

Originally Posted by ccaps View Post
I travelled [sic] extensively, and have had better service in developing nations' airports - with dirt runways, intermittent power, and no English.
If you are indeed so extensively traveled then you must realize that there are varying requirements to either enter or transit a foreign country. You yourself implied that you were aware that transit without a visa was possible but that having a visa would make things much easier. You opted to transit without the visa and were treated accordingly.

Originally Posted by ccaps View Post
So at this point you are in a "holding area" (I would use the term "transit lounge" however with such spartan accommodations to call it a "lounge" would be improper!) with other non-visa passengers awaiting the boarding call for your flight. You said there were no airline employees there to assist you only a phone. Again not the airline's fault.

Originally Posted by ccaps View Post
The reason you were told to wait until you were called is that no matter if your layover was one hour or many hours they will not allow you into the gate areas until the flight begins to board and they can ensure that you actually get on the plane and don't try to slip out into the airport and beyond. Again not airline policy.

Originally Posted by ccaps View Post
Again the reason she was in no hurry is because your flight wasn't due to depart for hours. I'm sure she had other people to deal with who had flights earlier than yours.

Originally Posted by ccaps View Post
Now here is the only part of your "complaint" that has any merit and something that you should pursue with the airline however it will be difficult if not impossible to prove. Were the persons you describe uniformed AA employees? Did you report their behavior to anyone in authority at the airport? Complaining about this after the fact the matter becomes a "she said/he said" complaint that can't really be substantiated. Had something similar happened to me I would have taken out my cellphone and started recording video!

No comment.

Check-in / Boarding boarding pass not scanned at airport linda donahoe United Airlines Complaints 2 Jul 24, 2012 7:57 AM