COMPLAINT: Iberia Airlines - Avoid at all cost!!!!

Old Jan 20, 2008, 2:55 AM
mdscott mdscott is offline

Please do not ever fly with Iberia Airlines. If I can convince 10 people to book with another airline, I will feel vindicated. This is the worst airline. My friend and I were stranded in Seville, Spain for a flight to Madrid (and then to the D.C.) for over 14 hours. During the entire ordeal, Iberia never made any attempt to notify the passengers what was going on with the flight. They only kept saying that the plane needed repair and was being fixed. This was a complete lie because we saw the plane the entire time out of the airport window and at no time were they working on this plane. It was a horrible experience and the airline never attempted to make it easier. Furthermore, they never attempted to communicate any information. In fact, they made it more difficult by allowing people to just scramble around all day. The Iberia customer service individuals hid and refused to answer any questions. When we finally got to Madrid and had to spend the night because we obviously missed our D.C. flight, we stayed in the worst hotel I have ever seen. It was completely disgusting.

We lodged a formal complaint at the Madrid airport and I returned home to file 2 more on the internet. No one from Iberia has ever contacted us. There is no customer service number to call. You will NEVER speak to a customer service individual with Iberia. (At the Madrid airport we even ran into an elderly couple who had a similar horrible situation on a different Iberia flight but their situation was even worse-the elderly woman was not even able to get medication from her luggage. In addition, they would leave them sitting in wheelchairs unattended.)

If you have ever thought an airline was unreasonable, take my advice that no airline comes close to Iberia. I have never lodged a complaint with any airline. Delays and things happen. I have flown with almost every major carrier and never had to deal with anything so horrific. Furthermore, I have never heard of an airline, or any company for that matter, that does not have customer service that can be reached by phone. With Iberia you can only file internet complaints that are never answered.

Please take my advice and do not fly Iberia. It may seem cheap but in the long run it will cost you far more money. I had seen similar comments before I booked my Iberia flight and I thought these passengers were just overly sensitive. Trust me, I have thick skin and these people were not overly sensitive.

My only recourse has been to launch a one-man campaign that will hopefully lead to people not flying Iberia. If its one thing I'm learning that rings true as I get older its "you get what you pay for". Trust me, saving $50 or so will never be worth flying Iberia.

I hope this complaint gets read and taken seriously by potential passengers. Learn from my mistake...NEVER FLY IBERIA AIRLINES!

Old Mar 31, 2008, 8:17 PM
[email protected] hamlinbaker52@charter.net is offline

Join Date: Mar 2008

Oh how I wish I could have read this before booking my poor husband on this stupid airline. He was stranded in Madrid for 24 hours. He missed his flight because of weather in Athens, when he got to Madrid they simply gave his a voucher, and never even tried to get him on another flight. Finally an AA rep. got him on a flight back home. Yes you are right about this Airlines and I will tell all my family and friends and strangers, not to fly this airline ever.
Old May 31, 2008, 11:29 PM
tmeyvis tmeyvis is offline

Join Date: May 2008

I can't agree more. This airline has just given me the worst airline experience ever (and I fly a lot) & on every possible dimension, so there's no way this is an isolated situation. Avoid at all cost!!!

I was supposed to fly from Brussels to JFK through Madrid. Here is what happened:

1. They cancelled my flight from Brussels to Madrid, so I would have to take the next flight, 2 hours later. This implied that I would miss my connection in Madrid to JFK, so I made sure they booked me on the next flight from Madrid to JFK & I got a printout of that booking as proof just in case.

2. The next flight (scheduled for 2 hours later) was delayed for another 2 hours (even though they kept saying they would start booking in 5 mins -- for about 2 hours), so now I only had 40 mins in Madrid to get to the next JFK flight. This turns out to be hard, because I had to go to a different part of the IBERIA terminal which involved waiting almost 10 mins for a train to that part.

3. I rushed to the gate where I was told extremely rudely that I was not booked on that flight. I tried to show the printout from Brussels, but they refused to look at it, saying "I don't care what they told you in Brussels, you are not on this flight. And there is no more space at all available on this flight, so you'll have to take tomorrow's flight." They mostly tried to ignore me, but when I got their attention again, they made it seem that everything was my fault. This obviously made me quite upset and I pointed out to them that it was not my decision to cancel the flight, delay the next one, and make the re-booking disappear (since I'm not the one working for Iberia). Finally, a higher ranking employee appeared who said that, yes, I could go on this flight (without checking anything - so she knew there was a seat available even though the other employees had told me the flight was absolutely full). However, my luggage would not be on this flight, but would come with the next day's flight and they would deliver it to me. That was ok with me - better than having to stay over in Madrid.

4. Now, I'm back in New York, it's 36 hours later and I still don't have my luggage - even though I filed a missing baggage report as soon as I landed in New York. I have tried to contact them, but after having been put on hold for 15 mins, a woman in Spain told me that she cannot say anything about my luggage (which is supposed to have arrived on today's flight) until Sunday morning (which is 2 days from now). Apparently, "it takes 3 to 5 days for international flights". I don't know what takes 3 to 5 days or why it takes 3 to 5 days (I was told that I would have my luggage today) since she hung up immediately after I said "please don't hang up, I have a question." I then tried to call back, but she refused to talk to me because she already talked to me earlier.

To be continued...

Bottom line: Do not EVER fly this airline.

(I did not even mention the outdated cabins that are literally falling apart, the extremely unfriendly flight attendants, or the terrible food...)
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:36 PM
meluta meluta is offline

Join Date: Jul 2009

Iberia is the worst Airline I have ever seen.We had to stay 9 hours (all the night) oin Madrid Airport because a 6 hours delayof Iberia flight.We did not get any accomodation or compensation
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:44 PM
meluta meluta is offline

Join Date: Jul 2009

Iberia lost our luggage twice,but we did not learn anything from that and now we paid 1925$/pers just to stay 9 hours(all the night)in the airport because a 6 hours delay
Old Jul 10, 2009, 1:02 AM
mars6423 mars6423 is offline

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey/Singapore
Send a message via AIM to mars6423

i think that it all sucks, and that it seems like it may happen quite frequently, or its all a coincidence

i have never flown with them so i wouldnt know

but i do have a question? if they said they were doing repairs, than how do you know that they weren't? not all repairs are external, a lot of times you cant see them while they are repairing something, and they could have walked up the stairs upto the gateway instead of going through the terminal. They dont have to tell you what is wrong, just that they are doing work, even though it is frustrating not knowing.

I would have thought that they would have canceled the flight unless they new it could be fixed and was the only flight of the day. And do you know if they were using an older aircraft? one that may be needing more maintanence and checking?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:20 PM
froggeripod froggeripod is offline

Join Date: Sep 2009

i'm trying to get my bike on board one of their flights. in doing so i have come across some of the most incompetent, rude and useless members of staff i have ever come across. hanging up, not passing me on to their supervisor, scared to answer a question.

they don't know how to do their job, period.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:03 PM
bosmakc bosmakc is offline

Join Date: Aug 2010

I choose NEVER to ride Iberia Airline ever again. They were an hour late leaving Chicago on our trip. They were 15 minutes late in landing the plane. Our connector flight thru Madrid was originally and hour and half between the two. As 46 passengers disembarked in terminal 4, they advised Iberia personnel we were on the way. We all RAN.....old and young alike to terminal 4S. Once there we seen our connecting flight attached to the walkway still. Iberia personnel REFUSED to let us board. They said we were all late. We explained it was due to Iberia we were late. They stranded 46 passengers for much of the day. We were advised numerous misinformation....they were waiting for a phone call, then it was all of France went on strike so they couldn't reissue tickets, they then changed their minds and said all of Italy went on strike so they couldn't issue tickets. We were told no more flights were leaving that day (we arrived EARLY am). We were ignored, treated rudely and left to stand 3 - 1/2 hours in a line at the desk waiting for them. Children lying on the floor CRYING because they were tired and hungry. No offer of assisting any of us. If you dared to leave the line, you lost your place to get tickets reissued. Finally we were issued connecting tickets - which they didn't need to do if we all boarded the first plane which was 1/2 empty because they didn't want us to board. Instead they issued tickets through out the day. Our new connection flight was another hour and half late in leaving. We arrived in Rome to learn from our travel guide that yes there was a short strike in Italy HOWEVER IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH issueing new tickets, with connecting flights, NOTHING. 46 individuals will NEVER ride this ariline again and I suspect their families as well. It was thoroughly disappointing to be treated as rudely as we were! NEVER NEVER AGAIN THIS AIRLINE
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:56 AM

I can't get past the 3rd and 4th sentences. You say you were 15 minutes late landing in Madrid but you originally had an hour and a half, now cut to an hour and 15 minutes. Are you saying it took you that long to get from one gate to the next?? Did you have to change airports?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:37 AM

Madrid's T4 at Barajas is a lovely airport, spacious and all Iberia flights arrive and depart theoretically from this terminal. However, there is the T4S which is a satellite. If the passengers arrived at T4S, which they normally would do from Chicago and then had to fly from T4, there is a shuttle train which goes directly between the terminals and takes 4 minutes. However, T4, whilst visually stunning is a big space... and the distance from the gate the train could be some distance. The shuttles run every 3 minutes.

The route Madrid to Rome is the single busiest air route from Madrid. There are loads of flights from Madrid to Rome..

It is another.. "they should have held the flight" story, and there will be loads of explanations... but you may wish to know this. The "slots" that airlines operate from in Europe are allocated in Brussels and if you miss your "slot" particularly at a busy time, it can cause delays which reverberate throughout the system for the rest of the day. I would have hoped that with that number of transfers, a decision would be made to hold the flight... but we will never know the whole circumstances in this case.

However, I can tell you this. If you have to transfer between flights in Europe... T4 Barajas is one of the airports I would choose to do it in. It is light, spacious, visually stunning and calm...
Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:40 PM
bosmakc bosmakc is offline

Join Date: Aug 2010

In response to "The_Judge"....there was ORIGINALLY an hour and half transfer time. If you take the hour that Iberia was late departing Chicago and you add another 15 minutes they were late in landing it equates to being an hour and 15 minutes late.

Did I forget to mention that when all 46 passengers arrived at the gate; our ORIGINAL flight was still connected to the rampway allowing access. They did not, in fact, leave for another 10 minutes after we all got there.

There are NO excuses for the amount of "misinformation" we were given when we were at the Iberia counter.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 3:46 AM

I guess I got confused over this part of your original post.....

"They were an hour late leaving Chicago on our trip. They were 15 minutes late in landing the plane.

Very routine for flights to make up time during a flight, and yes, even 45 mins. So forgive me for your error.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 4:26 PM

Join Date: Aug 2010

In the summer heat of 2002, I sat in an Iberia Airlines plane for fours hours without air conditioning, fans, or a drink of water. The crew did not tell us what was going on or give any indication of when we might take off or at least be allowed to leave the plane. After people started passing out, they opened an exit door to let in some air. Aside from making us sick, the delay caused us to miss a connecting flight. My letters to Iberia went unanswered. I managed to avoid Iberia until last year, when I took a short leg from Madrid to London. On that flight, the surly crew did not even let passengers have a cup of water unless they paid for it.

Communication is not a problem here. I studied literature at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid, and speak, read, and write fluently in Spanish. For me, Spain is the best of Europe. Sadly, Iberia represents the worst of Spain, and of all airlines I've ever flown.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 5:42 PM
sukai sukai is offline

Join Date: Apr 2011

Oh yes, I understand what you mean. My family and I where to take a trip to London but unfortunately my father passed March 4th.I had to travel to West Africa for the funeral. My husband started calling Iberia since March 10th. Everytime we call they tell you TO wait 48hrs. i'VE FAXED THE DEATH CERTIFICATE TWICE, PLUS MY BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND MY MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE AND THE OBITUARY. Why do they need all those documentsm when they know they have no intentions of refunding me my full amount. They frankly just dont give a damn about my loss. As far as they care concerned my family should have continued with the travel plans as if nothing happend. I woke 4a.m. this morning to contact Madrid, none of the phone numbers work. When you call Miami, only one prompt works. Instead of grieving I've had to use my energy to complain and fight. I refuse to give up because I have a headstone to purchase and I need the refund. I sent an email this morning to the CEO and Mr. Walsh. I will be surprised if they respond because nothing works with that airline not even the email link. I am so drained from this airline but I will speak out against Iberia wherever there is a forum. I've called all the local channels in Texas and I will call my Representative and I will call the Cancer Society, and I will call anyone that will listen to the disrespect of Iberia.

IF NOTHING WORKS, HOW SAFE ARE THEIR PLANES. DO NOT FLY IBERIA. AND IF YOU LOOSE A LOVED ONE FORGET IT THEY CAN CARE LESS. I WISH WE RESEARCHED THIS AIRLINE BEFORE BUYING FORM THEM. DON'T DO IT. Spend the moeny and fly a reputable company that have phone numbers that work. Believe me when I say none of their phone, fax or email work.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 6:09 PM

Join Date: Aug 2010

Unfortunately, I have to believe Sukai's sad story. As an alumnae of the Complutense de Madrid, I would happily enjoy flying on Iberia except for their obvious hatred of all human beings.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:42 PM
kellyl kellyl is offline

Join Date: Sep 2012

Iberia did it again. Twice when I've flown using Iberia as a connector they've left me stranded in Madrid for 8 hours, refusing any kind of compensation (the other was the exact same scenario, on a flight to Istanbul 2 years ago). For my last flight, on April 20th, I was a tour leader of a formal art delegation, so missed an entire day with the group I was in charge of.
Their answer was the 'no control' excuse, but that's NOT TRUE! Iberia CHOSE to hold our flight in Chicago for 20 or more minutes (the captain said we had no problem with the weather), that it was a corporate decision to let on some connecting (VIP?) passengers. That left many of us "stranded" in Madrid, despite the fact we got to the gate 30 minutes or so before flight took off, and they were still boarding. There was plenty of time. They said we couldn't fly without our luggage and they didn't have time to put it aboard (although of course we were all more than happy to have it sent to us later. I understand the airport security of flying with your luggage, but we WANTED to, so non-security related. And our flight got in 40 mins before the next one took off, an efficient system would have procured the luggage if it was a real issue).
I heard later (from some other passengers who WERE compensated, when we saw each other on the evening flight to Berlin) that Iberia had overbooked the flight, therefor WANTED our seats, so basically co-opted them. So they were 'bumped' by choice.
I fly a great deal, and with this poor attitude Iberia is exhibiting - again, I waited months for the promised response from Iberia (to the forms we filled out at the gate, and they promised a fast inquiry and response). It never came. Prompting me to write. To no avail, they basically have written me 3 'not our problem' letters to my own.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:15 PM
kellyl kellyl is offline

Join Date: Sep 2012

Iberia did it again. Twice when I've flown using Iberia as a connector they've left me stranded in Madrid for 8 hours refusing any kind of compensation (the other was the exact same scenario, on a flight to Istanbul 2 years ago). The last flight, in April, on the 20th, I was a tour leader of a formal art delegation, so missed an entire day with the group I was in charge of. Iberia offered a meal & hotel room, but refused us free access to airport wi-fi, or just a lounge to rest, and of course we couldn't sit at a gate to sleep, as it hadn't been assigned. None of us accepted the hotel, not worth the hassle of leaving the airport for those 5 hrs having not slept for more than 30.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:20 PM

Join Date: Aug 2010

These stories confirm Iberia's complete ineptitude and lack of concern for the people who they sucker into traveling on their flying dungeons.

Hawaiian Airlines: Avoid it wilso1 Other Airline Complaints 1 Apr 22, 2011 12:22 AM
LOT - Avoid Scam by Polish Airlines Peter Bernatt Other Airline Complaints 12 Jun 2, 2009 1:49 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked United Airlines Can Cost You Plenty sgrady United Airlines Complaints 2 Jun 11, 2008 1:13 AM
Customer Service avoid at all costs lpointmpoint Delta Air Lines Complaints 0 Jun 12, 2007 3:18 PM