Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:48 PM

Question Plane Falling Apart

While in flight on my way to Tampa for Pittsburgh...I decided to take a picture out the window...And in doing so..What do I see but the plane falling apart right in front of my eyes..I did not notice it at that exact time...Thank God..Or I would have freaked out...But how often does this really happen and nobody is watching...And who did the piece hit on the ground..This has made me somewhat afraid to fly...
Old Jan 22, 2009, 8:49 PM

Join Date: Nov 2007

What did you fully see? Did you tell a flight attendant. Please be more specific. If you were looking at the wing was it part of the wing coming off(like the flaps or something?) or just paint chips?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:19 PM

Question Not sure

I am not sure what it was but it was part of the wing...I didn't see it at that point..I saw it in my photo I have...Its like a bar falling off the wing or something...You can see in the photo Part of the wing gone and a piece leaving the plane..It is just scary to think Wow...Thank god I made it..You can't add pictures on here or believe me I would have...
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:11 PM

Join Date: Nov 2007

I usually like to sit over or behind the wing when in coach are you sure it wasnt the moving part of the wing located at the front of wing it appears to fall off but really goes over the edge of the wing I am not sure what function it has but it is normal I have seen it do it several times.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:47 PM

Join Date: Jan 2009

Oh it was falling off....I wish I could post it...But I can't..It looks like a bar of some sort
Old Jan 23, 2009, 5:12 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

Could you post the picture to Flikr.com or some other public photo sharing site? Then post the link here. There are more than a few of us now who are wondering exactly what you saw.

Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 3:34 PM

Join Date: Jan 2009

Ok...Well here is the link so that everyone can see the picture and can tell me exactly what I saw falling off of the plane... http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3220546922/

Let me know Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:06 PM

Join Date: Nov 2007

There is a AA pilot that lives downstairs from me in my apt complex when he gets home I am going to ask him to take a look at the photo and see what he thinks it might be. I know the first thing he is going to ask is did you hear or feel anything when it came off?
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:15 AM

Join Date: May 2008

Looks like something on the window. Possibly a hair or lint, or even a scratch that reflected funky with the sunlight. If that is something from the plane, it would not have flown out away from the plane like that. It would have streaked by the side, and probably gone thru the engine. In fact, the only things on a 737 that is that thin is a couple metal strips on the radar dome on the nose and the windshield wipers, and there is no physically possible way that if any of those came loose it would fly out past the side of the plane. It would have flown up and over the top. And none of those have that thick part on the top.

Sorry, but either this is something on the window, or a photoshop job.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:00 AM

Join Date: Nov 2007

From the pilot who lives in my building and to the mechanics he had look at the photo. All say "Nice photo shop job"
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:01 AM

Join Date: Nov 2007

P.S. One of them wanted to know if you could do one of a local lake with the Loch Nest Monster coming out of it
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:44 PM

Default Too Bad

It is too bad that you are all wrong I have the original photo still in my cell phone so you guys better go back to the drawing board.....Sorry guys you give me too much credit for photoshop....Something fell off that plane
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:57 PM

Join Date: Jan 2009

OK....Here is the thing I went back to my cell phone to look at the pic on there instead of on the computer where I seen that after I took that picture it was the edge of the clouds so I took a second picture that I never realized that I had of the ground from a different angle.....And the piece seems to be getting closer to the plane....It couldn't have been on the window..or my lens...I apologize for kinda being a sassy woman but I was mad this is not photoshoped...I am going to post the second picture as soon as I find my phones usb cord....This is really bothering me now..Its weird shaped once again sorry for the sass....
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:39 PM

Join Date: Jan 2009

I found the cord and uploaded it...Here it is...Its not a crack in the window that is at a totally different angle...And you can see that its falling down ...I don't know ....What I do know is that its not photoshop...So if someone could give me some idea...It truely looks like a bar of some sorts...anyways here is the link for the second pic... http://www.flickr.com/photos/3473022...57613366390982
Old Feb 5, 2009, 1:43 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

Hmmmm...very interesting. Try this. Bring up each picture on a separate tab on your browser. (I use FireFox) Now, switch back and forth between the two tabs. The "piece of the aircraft that flew off" is in the exact same spot on both pictures!

Also, the OP claims these two pictures were taken within a relatively short time of one another. Look at the clouds. In one picture there are light scattered clouds and in the other a dense overcast. Also note the terran on the most recent picture. Supposedly this occured on a flight to Florida. Where did the flight originate? The terrain on the most recent post looks to be in Arizona, Nevada, Southern CA desert, Utah - not anywhere near Florida or the Southeast portion of the US.

I think this one has been de-bunked!
Old Feb 5, 2009, 6:44 AM

Join Date: May 2008

Whopper - this is not a part from the aircraft. As I have stated, there are only two possible parts that would even be shaped like that, and if either came off, they would fly past the aircraft.

That plane is moving at about 500 miles per hour. It is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE that if any part would have fallen off of the aircraft that you could have caught in in more than one picture. In fact unless you had a very sophisticated high speed camera (as opposed to your cell phone) this object would have appeared blurred from it's movement.

Lastly, in the first picture you posted the "object" is out by the wing, and is about same length as the width of the wing tip. In the second shot, it's much smaller.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 6:47 AM

Join Date: May 2008

Here are the two picts together:

Old Feb 5, 2009, 7:16 AM

Join Date: May 2008

I got the two pictures backwards from what I was saying earlier. The lower picture is the firs one that Whopper posted. In that one, the object is out by the wingtip, and appears to be about as long as the wingtip is wide, which on a 737 is about 2 -3 feet.

In the other shot, it's much closer to the window. Just to give you an idea, that pointy thing that it's over is called a canoe, and they only stick out about 1 foot. If it was a real object, it shrunk.

Also in addition to what I said before about the speed of the aircraft, the object as it was closer to the aircraft, is in the area right behind the engine. The non pointed canoe is the back of the engine pylon as you can see in the picture I've posted below. Anything in that area would have gone flying much faster than 500 MPH.

I'm not going to say 100% that it's a photoshop job, but if not it's definitely something on your lens.

Last edited by Jetliner; Feb 5, 2009 at 7:19 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 1:59 PM

Join Date: Nov 2007

me thinks we have again debunked this situation.
maybe thats why name is whopper
my granddad use to tell whoppers of tales (especially about his fishing trips and the one that got away....but he was sure he would catch it next time)
Old Feb 5, 2009, 6:45 PM

Join Date: Jan 2009

The flight originated in Pittsburgh... So someone doesn't know geography...But anyways you are all wrong...Its a piece off the plane...I have better things to do then mess with pictures...You guys act like I want something...Who really cares I made it to Tampa...And believe me its not the first time I am sure that something has fallen from a plane...In the second picture you can tell That I took the picture right after one another I just never noticed it in either picture actually til I put it on a bigger screen...And when you zoom in you can tell that they weren't added ...Like I said before all I wanted was answers not a bunch of people who think it was two different flights or photoshopped...I could care less that Southwests planes fall apart as long as I am not in it...I just thought that the picture was cool..As for Leatherboy were you hit to hard with Leather at one point in time that you can't comprehend ....But whatever everyone is an expert on here I forgot...The piece that is falling is not in the same place in both pictures its closer to going under the plane in the second picture you can tell by the different parts of the plane...Oh well I will find someone who knows...And when you zoom in you can actually see that part of the piece that is falling has the same red color as the plane...
Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:43 AM

Join Date: May 2008

Whopper, that is NOT A PART OF THE AIRCRAFT. As I said what you have is physically impossible to have been a part of the aircraft. Go back and read what I said about something flying out of the window of your car. If it were a real object it would not just flutter in the wind, nor would it come closer to the aircraft. It would fly past so fast, that the chances of you catching it in just one picture would be worse odds than getting struck by lightning. It is absolutely not physically possible for you have caught it in both.

I don't think it's photoshop as the object is in the EXACT same place in the frame of both pictures. Someone who would be to that level of photoshop would have thought to change the size of the object to match the background.

That is not a part of the plane, it's something that was on your lens.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jetliner View Post

That is not a part of the plane, it's something that was on your lens.
Or perhaps IN the lens or between the lens and the glass cover protecting it. Take a look at your phone's camera lens and shake it around a bit. I'll bet you'll see something rattling around in there.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:15 AM

Join Date: Jan 2009

That is not the EXACT same spot you can clearly see there are three parts under the wing in the first picture.....ok ...now there in the second picture you can see the part that is wider closer to the plane hanging down and the second one. I am not an expert on what they are called...ok now if you notice in the first picture its by the furthest part that is hanging down...Now if you look in the second picture it going past or under the one closest to the plane...Now...No other picture on there did that whatever..Anyways I know its not on the lens and thats all that matters believe what you want...I truely don't give a rats butt...I can't explain it...It explains itself
Old Feb 6, 2009, 5:00 AM

Join Date: May 2008

OK, Whopper I'm going to explain this one last time. Below are your two pictures laid one on top of the other. I have made only one alteration and that was I made the top one slightly transparent because obviously if I had not, you would not be able to see the picture behind. As you can see, the "object" is exactly the same size, shape and in exactly the same position. If it were a real object out there the size would be different in each picture. Also the object would not be in the same exact position.

As I've said your claim is physically not possible. If you still insist that the object is real, then you are arguing the laws of physics.

Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:01 AM

Join Date: May 2008

Let me just clarify something - when I said the object was in the same exact position, I also mean it's in the same exact location in the frame of each. That's why you can see everything in both pictures, (wings, canoes, clouds, the window) but the object only show up once. That's because the object in both pictures is perfectly lined up.

Check-in / Boarding Paid $100 to get on the plane Mohan Delta Air Lines Complaints 4 Apr 18, 2009 11:07 PM
Customer Service Me threatened to be thrown off a plane? bcmtink Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 3 Mar 11, 2008 10:35 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked My Plane Took Off Early! pplazano Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 1 Oct 29, 2007 5:17 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked On-plane delay of over 2 hours at Vancouver anthony Air Canada Complaints 0 Aug 21, 2007 4:38 AM