Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:16 AM

Thumbs down Racist Behaviour & Lost the Baggage

Please note that my baggage has been lost during my flight from Delhi to Cape Town on the 13th April 2015. I am seriously disappointed and frustrated about how the matter was handled by the Etihad team.

My ordeal started when I was offloaded from the connecting flight from Abu Dabi. The reason was given to me was that the aircraft was changed due to technical reason and there was less number of seats in the new aircraft. The entire episode was very harassing when other passengers were boarding and 10-12 passengers were not let to board the flight. We figures out that all the passengers de-boarded belonged to India, Pakistan or Bangladesh. After understanding the situation we figured out a clear situation of racism done by your staff. The entire episode is been recorded on camera and will be handed over to the investigation team back in India and UAE.

I was made to sit at the airport lounge for 14 hours without providing any transit Visa or hotel to stay. I could not believe that Etihad have no policy to take care of the customers when they face such situations.

Now, after reaching Johannesburg, I found out that my bags have not arrived with me. Nobody at South African airline or Etihad airline had any clue about the bags and they could not trace the same till today. I was forced to board the onward flight to Cape Town without the baggage. The staff promised that the bags will reach me within 24 hours at my hotel in Cape Town.

I would like to highlight that my bags consists of material to be used at our stand at the Trade fair in Cape Town from 15th till 17th April 2015. The entire trade fair was a waste for us as we had no posters, brochures or marketing collateral at the show. I would like to state that due to this mistake from Etihad, we have incurred a loss of the following:

1. Entire cost of the stand at the trade fair.
2. Lost opportunity to have business from South Africa and other countries in the region
3. My entire travel expense was wasted (including flight ticket & stay)
4. I had to spend more than 5000 USD to make temporary posters for the show and that too came in after 2 days of the show.
5. I have spent more than 2000 USD to buy clothes for myself.
6. I had my I pad in the Baggage and about 1000 USD Cash in the bag along with my other cloths and business suits.
7. The second bag had posters and backdrop for the stand at the trade fair.

Now the trade fair is over and I am flying back from Cape Town to Delhi on Sunday (19 April) and I have no clue that I will ever receive these bags. I want you to let me know how do you want to deal with this situation. If I don’t find a solution and descent compensation to this situation, I will be filling a case under the consumer forum in India and our company lawyers will be dealing with you the same. Moreover I would like to let you know that the same ordeal will be posted on all the social channels wherever Etihad try to market themselves.

I suggest somebody look into this case as a matter of urgency or this could become very embarrassing for Etihad Airways!!

The reference number of the missing bags reporting: JNBSA13878
The baggage tag numbers: EY717715, EY717714.

Thanks

Vinod Singh
Address : 78D, Shivan Enclave PPA MIA Flats, Jhilmil Shadra, Delhi – 110032. India.
Ph.: +91 989 170 6999, +91 999 999 1113
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20150415_002.jpg (83.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150415_003.jpg (82.1 KB, 0 views)
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:14 AM

Dear Mr. Singh,

We are really sorry to hear about your experience and we definitely understand your frustration. We are getting in touch with our teams for immediate action. Rest assured we will get your baggage back as soon as we can.
Regarding the request of compensation, you will have to lodge a Baggage Claim here http://bit.ly/1ah9nSj (if you haven't done so at the airport already).
Mr. Sigh we are aware of the inconvenience this situation has caused to you, and we will follow up with our teams at the airport(s) for you. You can also follow up with us on our Social Media email address (**********************).

We hope you can accept our sincere apologies and we will give you an update as soon as we have one.

Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:22 AM

Dear Mr. Singh,

Regarding your claim number, it seems like it has been issued with SA (South African Airways). In this case it will be SA to handle the claim. We will of course offer any support in order to assure you get your baggage back as soon as possible.

Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:11 AM

Default Regarding the ticket number

Dear Etihad,

I don't care if the bagage lost ticket is been generated by SA Airlines, I have spoken to your customer care yesterday they have told me that the baggage was never loaded on the flight from Abu Dhabi. So the issue is from Etihad.

Moreover now they have transferred my luggage to Johannesburg though I am sitting in Delhi.

And SA is also operating on behalf of Etihad and I have booked the ticket with Etihad.

So please get this sorted out, I have already filled the claim form on your website, I have not included the cost of the event loss, hotel cost, my other team members tickets cost, the banners i have got printed on 14th April night, the pain i have gone through that night.

Was awake all night and back in hotel in the morning 4 AM just because of your careless, unethical and racist attitude. I will make sure that you guys will never repeat such thing in the future.

For your racist behaviour will surely take this to some justification. Legal steps if needed.

I need the complete compensation from Etihad for the mis conduct.

Regards,
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:54 AM

Dear Vinod,

Of course we will assist SA in the process of getting back your baggage. Moreover your baggage claim will be considered for compensation. Please make sure you keep the case id or RQID for further correspondence.

Regarding your feedback of a misconduct of Etihad staff in Abu Dhabi, we would be extremely grateful if you could send your feedback to **********************, quoting your booking reference. We will immediate open a separate case and investigate further about it before getting back to you accordingly.
Once again we would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:40 PM

Join Date: Apr 2015

I believe all the emails which i have sent on Feedback ([email protected]) and Baggage ([email protected]) will be going to Etihad only, and i have not heard back on any of the emails so far its been 3-4 days I have posted them the email.

This shows your commitment towards the customers, your attitude i belive which is to ignore such issues as this is once of the common attitude of Etihad & its employees.

The only response which i get from Etihad is an Auto Email.

Though I have also sent an email to **********************, i have immediately got the auto response on this email ID as well, let see if there will be any proper constructive action would be taken by Etihad on this email, which I feel would be rare.

Review the attached files.

Regards,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baggage Report ticket Number.jpg (78.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg passport.jpg (88.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150415_002.jpg (83.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150415_003.jpg (82.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150415_004.jpg (85.4 KB, 2 views)
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:53 PM

Default Racist behaviour by Etihad cabin crew

I am a frequent international traveler in business class. I had generally decent experience on most airlines for my international travels in business class. In March 2015, I flew ORD to HYD and back in business class on Etihad. I should have searched the Internet for reviews of this airline. I did not. I had horrible experience on Etihad.

I flew on Etihad EY150 from ORD to AUH on March 7, 2015 on my way to the final destination, HYD. On this long flight of >13 hours, the cabin crew ignored me while they served food and drinks numerous times to White and Arab passengers. The flight attendant waited on the Caucasian passenger in front of me over a dozen times for wine refills, other beverages, and desserts, but ignored me even when I raised my hand and had my seat light on hoping to get attention.

After poor quality experience on the ORD-AUH flight where I was ignored during food service and whatever little food served was horrible, I was hoping to get use the lounge to brush teeth and refresh, and have a snack before my flight to HYD.

I was dismayed by the appearance and quality of the Etihad business class lounge in Abu Dhabi. The men's rest room was very small. No shower facility. There was an Arab man in his traditional Arabic dress lifting his leg up and washing his feet in the washbasin. What an ugly sight to watch. There was an Etihad attendant watching the Arab man wash his dirty feet in the washbasin and not letting anybody else inside. It was so nauseating that I couldn't go in. The food available was very poor. The lounge was tiny. I rated the Emirates business class lounge in Dubai at the highest possible score of 10/10. I would give your lounge in Abu Dhabi the lowest possible score of 1/10.

On March 19, I returned from HYD to ORD via AUH on Etihad in business class. This time, I traveled with my 80-year old mother. We are both of Indian race and ethnicity.

On the HYD-AUH flight (EY275) of 4 hours and 20 minutes, there were no blankets. The cabin manager told me that Etihad eliminated blankets in business class on short flights. But, this was business class flight of 4 hours and 20 minutes that started late at night. My 80-year old mother was shivering and she fell sick when we arrived in Abu Dhabi. In AUH, the flight landed in remote area, not at the gate. We had to wait for 30 minutes to get wheelchair for my mother, then another 20 minutes to get a bus, 15 minutes of travel in a wheelchair to security point #1, 20 minutes in wheelchair to security #2, and 35 minutes for a third person to push wheelchair to US Immigration and Customs in AUH. While this was happening, an Arab man almost ran away with my Rolex watch as we went through security. At this airport, you have remove everything including your watch and go through security in a crowed narrow area and if you are not watching, Abu Dhabi airport employees and Etihad employees are waiting to steal your belongings.

Two hours of going from remove landing area to 3 different security checkpoints meant, we had no time to go to the business class lounge. We landed in Abu Dhabi at 7:15am and our next flight was at 9:30am. My 80-year old mother was starving and shivering and could not even get a cup of coffee, and was hoping to get coffee on the 15-hour flight from AUH to ORD leaving at 9:30am. When we boarded EY151, we were offered lemonade or orange juice or champagne, but no coffee was available. I repeat, this was at 9:30am. So, we had to wait for coffee until the first meal service.

When the meal service began an hour later, unfortunately, myself and my mother were subjects of racial discrimination by Etihad flight cabin crew on flight EY151. Although we were seated in the middle of the cabin, the flight attendants who provided food and beverage service several times to the people and in front and behind kept ignoring us. At age 80, my mother wanted to eat early and sleep, but we were always the last ones to be served food during meal time, and this too after I had to raise my hand and wave repeatedly. We only got leftovers on this flight of >15 hours, and only after repeated attempts to get the attention of the flight attendants. The Indian couple who were seated in front of us were also ignored while the cabin crew made several trips to pour wine and whiskey to the Caucasian and Arab passengers on the flight. The flight attendants were disrespectful to us and behaved as if they did not like serving to non-Whites. Finally, after I complained to the cabin manager, a black gentleman was sent to serve us. He was nice to us, but the attitude of the other cabin crew was racially discriminative and painful to us.

It was an utterly humiliating experience to be ignored by the cabin crew because we are of Indian ethnicity while they paid full attention to the White and Arab passengers on the flight. This was in business class and on a flight longer than 15 hours.

If I experienced racially discriminative experience on Etihad only once, I would not have complained. However, I experienced the airline's racist attitude when flying from ORD to AUH on March 7, 2015 as well on AUH to ORD on March 19, 2015. My similar experience again on March 19, 2015 on the flight from AUH to ORD confirmed my belief that this airline has racist attitude. I filed a racial discrimination complaint about the airline with DOT.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:22 PM

Here is UPDATE:

Etihad replied by saying they will post 5000 miles each for me and my mother on our Etihad frequent flyer accounts. They expressed no remorse. We do not even hold Etihad frequent flyer accounts. Etihad never awarded any miles for our business class travels to our American Airlines accounts. Here is Etihad not awarding about 40000 frequent flyer miles and then making a shameless gesture of awarding 5000 miles each in accounts that do not exist. Etihad has not provided any compensation for damaged bags.

So, in response to specific complaints, here is how Etihad responded:

1) Racist attitude: Etihad expressed no apology or remorse.

2) No blankets on long flights in business class: Etihad does not see this as a problem. It sees itself as a low-end budget airline that is not supposed to provide these amenities in business class.

3) Shabby business class lounge in Abu Dhabi: No response.

4) Poor quality food in business class: Etihad is proud to be offering poor quality food in business class.

5) Damaged bags: No compensation.

6) No frequent flyer miles for business class travel: Etihad says contact American Airlines. AA says Etihad is notorious for not awarding frequent flyer miles and that I should keep contacting Etihad. Etihad has not bothered to respond.

I filed a complaint with the US Department of Transportation. They sent a letter to Etihad asking for an explanation on April 29, 2015, but have not heard back. DOT will log all such complaints, especially of racial discrimination, against specific airline, and if there are numerous complaints, they will take serious action against the airline.

American citizens and those living in the US, who have experienced racist attitude by Etihad, are advised to file a complaint with the US DOT here.

Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:59 PM

Location: Abu Dhabi - UAE

Dear Guest, we are sorry to hear about that. If you wish us to look into it further, send us a Private Message here with the RQID number and we will escalate this on your behalf. Also, regarding the damaged baggage, be advised that you can lodge a formal complaint here http://bit.ly/1ah9nSj. Thanks *FT
Old Jun 24, 2015, 5:53 PM

Join Date: Apr 2015

I sent travel information via private message to you previously.

Since then, I sent boarding passes, electronic ticket, baggage tags and photos of damaged bags to [email protected].

This could be have been handled easily in Chicago when we landed and picked up bags. The Etihad representatives there looked the other way when we brought the damage to their attention. They paid no attention. Seems like the culture of Etihad to ignore passengers.
Tags...
baggage problem, lost baggage, racism, racist

Baggage Problems Lost Baggage dwalter40 United Airlines Complaints 11 Nov 16, 2012 10:17 AM
Baggage Problems Baggage Lost Sam Delta Air Lines Complaints 7 Jul 24, 2009 3:27 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Disgraceful behaviour viewhatyai American Airlines Complaints 10 May 15, 2009 11:47 PM
Baggage Problems Lost Baggage TAGHREED MADANAT Delta Air Lines Complaints 1 Feb 24, 2009 8:58 AM
Lost baggage DebbieLH General Discussion 0 Nov 13, 2008 9:05 PM