COMPLAINT: Please, I need legal feed back - I was humiliated, and harrassed by Delta and police

Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:13 PM

Join Date: Aug 2012

On August 18th 2012, I flew from Detroit to Pheonix using Delta Air.

Before the flight took off I chose the button to call a flight attendant. She arrived to my row and I requested to turn off the computer screen that was displaying advertisments (examp: car advertisement). In front of every PERSON, on the back of ever head rest, there is a computer screen -this is a foot right in front of our faces. I explained to the flight attendant that this is wrong and a dehumanizing thing to do to people who have to sacrifice their paycheck and personal time for a plane ride in a seat that makes you look at advertisements. She explained that it could not be turned off and that was it. The lead flight attendant came to my seat because he said he heard I had a complaint. Instead of taking control of the conversation, he ALLOWED himself to continue telling me that even though electric devices should be turned off during take-off, we still must keep the screens in front of everyone's face powered on. I told him I found this extremely inslulting and dehumanizing as if I am not a human, like im just some 'consumer' sitting in a seat while they take my money for this plane trip. I then told the lead flight attendant that since he came over to talk to me and did not provide a solution that he wasted his time, and he left. I then had four police officers waiting for me because they claimed that I was 'interferring with the flight crew'. Before I even was able to leave the plane the police office grabbed the top of my back pack that I had on and DRAGGED me out of the plane as if i as a criminal. He took me aside by the gate entrance and he and other officers kept me for over an hour, they begain yelling at me, telling me how i 'dont respect authority'... they kept making false accusations toward me whil they unlawfully detained me by the gate. I offered to speak with the lead attendant to let him know that i thought this was terrible and to discuss this, and he refused. I told the police that i am sorry that their time was being taken up for something that should had been contained by the delta flight attendant lead, but none of them seemed to care. I was eventually walked like a criminal to the baggage claim and then 'let go'.

how do i find out the flight captain's name?
how do i find out documentation on how they define "interferring with the flight crew"?
how do i make delta accountable for the humilation and harrassment i went through???

Please contact me at 206-423-5500 which is my cell phone.

Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:22 PM

Join Date: Aug 2012

On August 18th 2012, I flew from Detroit to Pheonix using Delta Air.

Before the flight took off I chose the button to call a flight attendant. She arrived to my row and I requested to turn off the computer screen that was displaying advertisments (examp: car advertisement). In front of every PERSON, on the back of ever head rest, there is a computer screen -this is a foot right in front of our faces. I explained to the flight attendant that this is wrong and a dehumanizing thing to do to people who have to sacrifice their paycheck and personal time for a plane ride in a seat that makes you look at advertisements. She explained that it could not be turned off and that was it. The lead flight attendant came to my seat because he said he heard I had a complaint. Instead of taking control of the conversation, he ALLOWED himself to continue telling me that even though electric devices should be turned off during take-off, we still must keep the screens in front of everyone's face powered on. I told him I found this extremely inslulting and dehumanizing as if I am not a human, like im just some 'consumer' sitting in a seat while they take my money for this plane trip. I then told the lead flight attendant that since he came over to talk to me and did not provide a solution that he wasted his time, and he left. After the plan landed I then had four police officers waiting for me because they claimed that I was 'interferring with the flight crew'. Before I even was able to leave the plane the police officer grabbed the top of my back pack that I had on and DRAGGED me out of the plane as if i as a criminal. I offered to take off my backpack in case he needed it and he said 'no just keep walking'. He took me aside by the gate entrance and he and other officers kept me for over an hour, they begain yelling at me, telling me how i 'dont respect authority'... they kept making false accusations toward me while they unlawfully detained me by the gate. I offered to speak with the lead attendant to let him know that i thought this was terrible and to discuss this, and he refused. I told the police that i am sorry that their time was being taken up for something that should had been contained by the delta flight attendant lead, but none of them seemed to care. They kept telling me how I made a "federal offense" and how there would be a "massive fine of thousands of dollars" -At that point I lost it. I could feel tears swell up in my eyes, my adrenaline was pumping , I could feel my body shake, and I replied: "I have been sitting at home for the past 8 months in the middle of nowhere in the country w/out a car, no money, and now I have a job im about to start in Tempe, AZ, and how am I supposed to save for a car, for a laptop, pay my rent! if I am now going to have to get a lawyer or pay tousands of dollars for some terrible fee for expressing my concerns about a screen in front of my face on a plane!!! its impossible to save even 3thousand dollars w/in a 12months span -how am i going to have a life, a car -where's my family my life!!!" I was eventually walked like a criminal to the baggage claim and then 'let go'.

how do i find out the flight captain's name?

Please contact me at 206-423-5500 which is my cell phone.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:25 PM

Best of luck!!! I'm sure you will prevail.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:54 PM

Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
Best of luck!!! I'm sure you will prevail.

Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gromit801 View Post
Ah, the self entitlement generation. I weep for this world.

Ah, another cliche from someone who still thinks the Cold War is going on... I do not weep for your generation.

If you can remember what is was like to actually be a member of a community, instead of being treated as an economic unit comprising the 'person' Delta Airlines (>insert corporation name<), then please indulge us. And in doing so, please indicate what part of this community involves rights, entitlements. Do you think that Americans should or should not have rights?

Please reply with your detailed definition of "self entitlement".

Did you feel 'entitled' to post your comment? Why did you post your comment?

Do you have advertisements all over your home, or on a screen constantly one foot infront of your face right now? Why not? I had one one foot infront of my face on a plane which cost me over $300 dollars a seat for. If Multinational Corporations required you to wear glasses that projected their advertisments right infront of your eyes for the duration of each and every flight for no reduce in cost nor increase in comfort/benefits -would you do it?

When should a customer service rep NOT contact the police if the customer service rep disagrees with you?

When shouldnt you be detained by the police if a corporation has a policy that you disagree with???

Please repspond to each question as it applies to all forms of travel, and also from the point of view as being an American/member of a family/human being (NOT as a 'consumer'), and dealing with other people that also have birth certificats that say "United States of America". Thank you.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 1:38 AM
Gromit801 Gromit801 is offline

Self entitled in that you think the world revolved around you. It does not.

Your feelings were hurt. Boo hoo.

You want to lash out like a child.

You are NOT entitled to any of the information you're asking for except possibly what the definition of interfering with a flight crew:

9-63.110

Interference with Flight Crew Members and Attendants

Section 46504 of Title 49, United States Code (formerly section 1472(j) of Title 49 Appendix) sets forth the offense of interference with a flight crew member or flight attendant within the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States, which is defined in 49 U.S.C. 46501(2). The statute applies to any "individual on an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States who, by assaulting or intimidating a flight crew member or flight attendant of the aircraft, interferes with the performance of the duties of the member or attendant or lessens the ability of the member or attendant to perform those duties." The statute provides for up to 20 years imprisonment, and further provides for imprisonment for any term of years or life if a dangerous weapon is used. Interference with a flight crew member or attendant is a general intent crime, and does not require a specific intent either to intimidate the flight crew member or attendant or to interfere with t he performance of his or her duties. United States v. Grossman, 131 F.3d 1449 (11th Cir. 1997).
Venue is governed by the standard venue provisions, 18 U.S.C. 3237 and 3238 and Rule 18, Fed.R.Crim.Proc. See also United States v. Hall, 691 F.2d 48 (1st Cir. 1982). "[T]he offense continues for at least as long as the crew are responding directly, and in derogation of their ordinary duties, to the defendant's behavior." United States v. Hall, 691 F.2d at 50. Prosecution is always proper in the district over which the aircraft was flying when the interference took place, if that can be determined. In many cases, particularly those in which either (1) the aircraft is diverted due to the defendant's actions, (2) the defendant's interfering actions continue, or (3) the crew remains concerned about defendant's possible further actions, venue is also proper in the district in which the aircraft lands. Since determining the district over which the aircraft was flying when the action took place may be difficult, and that district may have little or no connection to the matter, the Department advocates prosecution in the district where the aircraft lands and the defendant is deboarded and arrested in all appropriate cases.
The interference and other Title 49 aircraft offenses are supervised by the Counterterrorism Section of the National Security Division.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 5:12 AM
xjcaptain xjcaptain is offline

Join Date: Dec 2011

I would suggest using a different approach than being forced to watch. I'd suggest either looking left, right up or down....Perhaps look out the window, read a book, watch a video, or maybe take a nap. Or are you saying you were restrained and forced to look straight ahead. And, no, the flight attendants do not have the ability to turn off individual video monitors on the seat backs.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:55 AM
A320FAN A320FAN is offline

Join Date: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by AaronBrowne View Post
how do i find out the flight captain's name?
You can e-mail Delta and ask but they are under no obligation
to release the flight crews' name to you and they probabley
won't for their safety and protection.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 6:32 PM
seeker80 seeker80 is offline

Join Date: Jan 2009

Originally Posted by Gromit801 View Post
Ah, the self entitlement generation. I weep for this world.

You what makes me weep, being confronted by workers of companies I pay for a service who absolutely hate their jobs but are too big of cowards to go find another one.

I was coming back on a redeye from Vegas on company business (I no long fly for pleasure - the wife and I take the train for vacations) and got on my connecting in Memphis. I had the bugs connected to my IPhone in my ears because I use them like earplugs. I dosed while everyone got settled and the FA came over, woke me and said, "is that off?". Not, "excuse me sir, but is your phone turned off?". I had the phone turned off because I fly enough to know the tyrants of the air must insure "all zee electronical devices must be turned off".

I said, "it is". She stood their glaring and until I showed her my phone. I just returned her pleasantry with a look that said, "you have yourself a wonderful day". She turned and walked away without saying a word.

I swear to God, you just try to get from point A to point B without interacting with these people but they just can't help themselves. I believe they are born to be unpleasant, inhospitable and rude.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 7:49 PM
Gromit801 Gromit801 is offline

Do us all a favor, and don't fly. Self entitled, me first and damn all else clowns like you are sending this civilization down the drain.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 9:48 PM
Matt_FLL Matt_FLL is offline

Join Date: Nov 2011

My friend, you wrote on an airline complaint forum. This place is full of anti-airline folks.

Regardless, you have solicited tons of responses whereby the passionate readers feel that you were wrong. This is extremely uncommon. With all due respect, please consider these responses as you decide if this matter is worth pursuing.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:43 AM

Unfortunately, I fear you have no remedy... but that does not mean that you are incorrect. The issue here is not whether or not you agree that passengers should be confronted with advertising that they are not in a position to switch off. It offends some people and certainly this customer.

When a company is providing a service in a way that displeases me, I would expect to feel free to let a representative of that company know that I am unhappy with this and if possible seek a remedy. Apparently, following 911, flight attendants became massively sensitive to any passenger feedback and feel that any feedback is a threat to national security. As result, people like the OP, and other passengers who requested some orange juice, or a child who was "saying bye bye plane" and other big threats to national security have been frog marched off airlines for "interfering with flight crew". The reality is that the vast majority of these cases are "not proceeded with". The explanation is that in reality, none of these cases and certainly not this one, get anywhere near the threshold required by the law, so helpfully posted by Gromit.

The truth is, most FA's are a lethal combination of people who have been given power and are too stupid and badly trained to know how to use it judiciously. Filing a complaint, disagreeing with a FA or even being grumpy and tired, do not constitute "interfering with the flight crew".

However, airlines, airport police and employees are not likely to do anything about this. The airline industry is full of anomolies that we would not accept in any other business (even banking). Airline employees systematically lie to passengers, steal from their bags and treat them with disdain. The airlines know this, but have no appetite to confront this. The abuse meted out by the TSA is also widely documented but ignored.

The whole industry needs to be brought back under regulatory control, but it is hard to achieve. Abuse of power is increasingly able to be challenged by citizens filming incidents on phones and cameras. Sadly, it is often the case that these are banned from use on airlines.

I doubt very much Delta will tell you the name of the Captain... and I am not sure why you need to know this. I would file a complaint with the airline and ask for it to provide an explanation why Delta takes such a punitive approach to a customer giving feedback.. AND then file complaints with the airport police or whoever detained you after the incident. You might also try discussing what happened to you with the ACLU. Sooner or later, I hope they will take an interest in the highly unAmerican and unconstitutional actions of many airline employees in the name of "national security".

Baggage Problems Fight Back against Delta Maine322 Delta Air Lines Complaints 9 Sep 16, 2014 12:23 AM
Lost 40,000 miles and Delta won't credit them back Debbie9 SkyMiles Complaints 2 Oct 8, 2011 4:41 PM
Customer Service First Class Ticket to Hell! 5 year old child traumatized -father abused & humiliated Maurizio Winkler United Airlines Complaints 27 Jun 8, 2011 5:02 PM
Check-in / Boarding Tramatic Brain injury passenger harrassed Jmart32827 United Airlines Complaints 1 Aug 27, 2010 1:16 AM
Delta closes account but sells it back verichron Other Airline Complaints 4 Mar 6, 2009 1:41 AM