Reservations
COMPLAINT: Flight booking fraud

Old Dec 4, 2008, 3:14 AM
maggie maggie is offline

Special Alert! Don't ever create a "saved itinerary" for Northwest Airlines that allows you to save a flight for possible future booking.

I did this and after 90 days, when I had long forgot about the "saved itinerary," Northwest automatically booked the ticket without my approval and charged my account. When I tried to get a refund or even a credit, I was denied -- even though I never agreed to purchase the ticket, never clicked the "purchase" key and wasn't even near my computer the day the ticket was billed to my charge card.

An employee verified that it was a flaw of the system that "sometimes happens." Still, this is out and out fraud. Could someone please look into this? It is a way for Northwest to get paid for tickets that will never be used.

My husband was literally on his deathbed when Northwest's system automatically purchased a ticket for me. There was no way I would have booked a trip with him being so ill. So, in addition to dealing with my husband's premature death at 51, I had to deal with Northwest staff who got indignant when I suggested that the airline's computer system had a major glitch. I politely requested a refund or credit, but got neither.

Now that my husband's funeral is over and I have taken care of legal matter related to his death, I am trying to attend to this matter. Can I get any help from a reporter or consumer watch group? The public needs to know that they are vulnerable when using Northwest's "saved itinerary" system. Thank you.

Old Dec 4, 2008, 4:45 PM
totiredtodance totiredtodance is offline

Join Date: Nov 2008

The charge was unauthorized. Dispute the charge with your card company if there is still time. Arguing with an airline is almost pointless when asking for cash back. The persons you are allowed to talk with do not have the ability to return cash funds.

Rule of thumb. Never leave a credit card on file with any company that has an online presence.

Jet2 - Booking P.Stoffed Other Airline Complaints 5 Jan 21, 2009 3:17 PM
Plain and Simple FRAUD JailAirlineCEOS SkyMiles Complaints 4 Nov 14, 2008 5:03 PM
Baggage Problems AirTran Airways - Baggage Fraud zaydog Baggage Problems 6 May 26, 2008 9:17 PM
Problems Booking Award Travel drjabberwocky Mileage Plus Complaints 0 Nov 28, 2007 8:41 AM
Reservations Booking cancelled after reservation confirmed ryanagihara Delta Air Lines Complaints 6 Oct 9, 2007 7:33 PM