COMPLAINT: Customer Service for United is in the Phillipines and works to scam customers

Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:12 PM
JMLEMOND JMLEMOND is offline

Join Date: Apr 2017

I write today to request your immediate assistance concerning my experience yesterday 04/21/17 as I attempted to book my Birthday trip next month to Memphis. This started with a call to United Airlines Customer Service to book a trip for me and my husband for a Saturday departure from BWI May 20thwith a return date of Sunday May 28th. Since I am a frequent flier and held a current a current balance of 64,000 miles, I requested to exchange a portion of my miles for my ticket and purchase a second ticket at the best available price for my husband's travel. After being on the phone for well over an hour and a half and being placed on hold three times I learned my call was being fielded in the Philippines, US Territory. Finally the agent told me for my ticket my miles accrued would be charged 50,000 miles or 25,000 each way and my flights are fully coved but I would have pay aTax of $11.20. This was all fine to this point. My husbandís flight came to $977.10 but I was it told that it was eligible to be reduced as a courtesy and today I learned it had been reduce to $939.10 still well above prevailing prices but none the less reduced. Today 04/22/17, when I went online to examine the postings to my United Airlines/Chase card I found two charge pending one in the amount of $977.10 and a second unauthorized charge for $1354.50. I did not recognize the second charge. I immediately called United Airlines Customer Service again and they had no explanation of what the charge was for. A women named Rena in United Airlines Customers Service group in the Philippines told me that someone had executed a charged $1354.50 for purchasing miles. I donít even know at that time it was possible to buy miles. Then I told Rena I never purchased any travel miles, and I had only requested to use loyalty miles for my ticket. I was assured by their agent I had enough in my in frequent flier account to cover my ticket. I wanted to know who made the second charge and that I needed it credited back to my account. She said she couldnít restore my miles balance and that she had no visibility to the frequent miles program. I then asked several times to speak with her supervisor and after another five minutes of back and forth she put me hold. Once connected, I started over to explain to her supervisor the booking had been mishandled and requested that she cancel the entire itinerary and credit me for both the unauthorized charge and my husbandís ticket in the amount of $939.10. She then told me the additional charge of $1354.50 came from me having to buy miles to complete my ticket. So, I supposedly gave her all my miles plus an additional $1354.50 to get a round trip ticket from BWI to Memphis. Where my husband's ticket was only $939.10; This makes no sense. Also, when I originally booked this ticket, no one in the Philippines explained that I was even in the process of purchasing additional mileage because I had enough to begin with for the purchase. They even told me my ticket was free. This was a fraudulent claim on my credit card and the ticketing agents that I spoke with were defrauding me of my money and my miles. (Subsequently I checked your internet site and I originally had 64,000 miles available. The round trip price quoted for economy was 50,000 miles round trip.) My husband then drove us to BWI some 34 miles one way from Annapolis to speak to Unitedís agents in person. To our complete amazement three gate agents went through the very same conversations starting with a call to customer service in the Philippines and could not get the information either. After the shift leader left us with two agents, with the one still on the phone, we waited while she was transferred first to sales then to someone in the Frequent Flier program. When she finally gave up she said to us they attempted to transfer her a third time back to sales. After hanging up the agent at BWI finally said she too could not be placed with anyone that could see both systems to determine just where or how the additional charge had been made? The United agent at BWI then apologized for this unusual difficulty. She recommended that we cancel the entire itinerary and told us to contact online customer service in order to get our trip refunded. When we got on your website, none of the categories fit what happened to us thus this letter is our only recourse. We are extremely disappointed in United Customer Service performance and expect we would be given an immediate refund for whatever took place in the Philippines. Fraud and incompetence such as this should be brought to the attention of the regulatory authorities handling fraud and price gouging and social media should this not be addressed with expediency. There is simply no explanation for their initial action let alone inability to respond and explain what went wrong in this case. The plans for my Birthday have now been made elsewhere because we have other dependent arrangements. Thus we need an immediate credit for all charges including the $1354.50 fraudulent charge and $939.10, $11.20 taxes and $4.00 parking and full restoration of my Frequent Flier Miles to its previous balance of 64,000 miles. Total Amount to be credited back $2304.80 to my VISA United Miles Plus card ending in 7031 Note $4.00 was placed elsewhere on my husbandís Debit card at BWI short term parking in the last attempt to resolve in person. Thank You for your prompt attention to this matter.

fraudulant, nonresponsive, poor customer service, price gouging, unauthorized charges

United Airlines customer service? gkaip United Airlines Complaints 4 Jan 10, 2012 9:28 PM
Customer Service worst customer service!!treated customers like **** sophia-207 Customer Service 1 Mar 22, 2011 12:54 AM
Customer Service United has awful customer service [email protected] United Airlines Complaints 0 Mar 14, 2010 4:26 AM
Customer Service Lufthansa - Customer Service Does Not speak to customers leegold Lufthansa Complaints 12 Oct 18, 2008 7:58 AM