Reservations
COMPLAINT: Upgrading a relatives ticket as a surprise gift

Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:02 PM
IreneBalmforth IreneBalmforth is offline

Join Date: Sep 2012

My father is coming to the USA for the 1st time from the UK. As a birthday gift I (his daughter) called British Airways to Upgrade AND PAY $$$'s to give my father the best flying experience. I encouraged him to fly BA as it is the only direct flight from London to Denver.
After a 30 minute delay, I finally speak to a customer service rep, who tells me I have to be added to my father's itinerary in order to make any changes.
So, I ask my father to add me, and of course do not tell him about the surprise I am trying to organize.
My father is put through an agonizing 1 hour wait before speaking to a rep, who adds me, and then tells him that any changes made to the itinerary would be charged to HIS card.
So, Thanks to British Airways they spoilt what was going to be a superb gift for my father, and NOT to mention $$$'s for them for an upgraded ticket.
Thank you for giving my father & I a stressful day. I guess he will just have to stick with his original seat in dull and boring coach......

Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:29 AM
Ombudsman Ombudsman is offline

Join Date: Feb 2011

There are limits to what phone agents are able to do which vary by airline. For example I was able to use miles to upgrade a family member with one airline (and I did not even need to be added to the reservation) but when I tried to do so for a friend flying another airline with which I also had miles they could not make it happen. My suggestion would be to go to the ticketing counter for BA at Denver Internaitional and see if it can be done there. As there is only one flight per day which departs around 6:45 PM I would suggest going around 3:45 as airlines with limited operations usually open up their counters aound 3 hours prior to departure time.
Contributing editor to one of the largest travel blogs on the internet.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:16 PM
anonymouscomments anonymouscomments is offline

Join Date: May 2013

sorry but unfortunately this isnt BA'S fault. Any agent has to comply with data protection law. This means that unless you are a named passenger or the credit card holder agent cant discuss it with you. And also any changes must be made by credit card holder. Il grant that this can be a nuisance but its in place to protect you from other people viewing changing your booking for potentially malicious reasons.

Reservations AA Gift Card SUCKS My son is standed!!! Lalaldyrouge American Airlines Complaints 2 Dec 27, 2011 9:01 AM
Check-in / Boarding Have to throw away $300 thanksgiving gift for nothing [email protected] Delta Air Lines Complaints 1 Nov 24, 2010 6:05 PM
Customer Service Gift cards are a rip-off against the elderly rekerley JetBlue Airways Complaints 1 Feb 12, 2010 7:24 PM
Reservations Surprise $69 evvo United Airlines Complaints 7 Jan 27, 2009 4:18 AM