COMPLAINT: Hidden Fees

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:57 PM
TWA TWA is offline

Join Date: Mar 2016

While booking a ticket for my son, I tried to sign in with my rapid rewards account. I did not notice that the SWA computer program switched out my name for my son's name. When I noticed, I called and was told I missed the 24 hour "grace period". They refused to switch out names and told me to cancel my flight and fly some other time. I could not use that money for any other passenger's flight--so I could not cancel and rebook under my son's name. After several calls, I was offered an "exception" but it would cost me $100 of my fare. I would then receive a voucher in 7 to 10 work days (after my son's flight). I asked what the $100 was for, and was told it was for "taxes and liabilities". They refused to tell me who the taxes were paid to and what they meant by liabilities. When I asked for a manager I was told "no" and then I was told that if I insisted I would be put on a 24 to 48 hour call back and then speak to "someone on the same level as me with no more empowerment" .

How can "taxes and liabilities" exist on one type of refund and not on another--especially if I chose to fly elsewhere--as they would accrue another airport tax. This sounds like a hidden fee/fine for name changes.

If they are 10 days behind on refunding their tickets and are taking $100 from each ticket refunded, can you imagine how lucrative a class action law suit would be? Considering South West advertises transparency and no hidden fees--both were violated in my transaction and I can't be the only one experiencing this.

Last edited by TWA; Mar 15, 2016 at 9:59 PM. Reason: Grammer error

If you hate hidden airline fees please sign our petition macgyver94 General Discussion 4 Jun 28, 2013 12:01 AM