COMPLAINT: Southwest is the only airline I fly.

Old May 28, 2008, 4:02 PM
kent_snyder kent_snyder is offline

Join Date: May 2008

I know this is a complaint website and I came her to complain about Delta.

However, while here I want to tell people why Southwest is such a terrific airline. I fly about 50 times per year.

All airlines have their problems, but here are the reasons to fly Southwest:

1. If you have to change your scheduled flight, there is never a change fee. Never! I always purchase 4 to 8 weeks in advance to get the best prices. After purchasing a ticket, I have to change the departure date or return date at least a dozen times a year. The other airlines would charge me thousands of dollars to make all those changes. At Delta for example, they wanted $1,230 to change the return date of a one hour flight from Bozeman to Salt Lake City. This was making a change 3 1/2 weeks before the flight on a flight that was half full. The same day I changed the return date on a Southwest flight from Boise to Salt Lake City. Southwest gave me a $10 credit because that flight was cheaper.

2. If the price changes (lower) after you've purchased a ticket, you can go to their website and repurchase the ticket and get a credit for the difference. You don't have to gamble on when to purcahse to get the best price like you do on most other airlines.

3. Even if you purchase advance fare tickets, you can cancel the flight up to an hour before departure and get full credit for your purchase. No fees.

4. Bigger, more comfortable leather seats with more leg room than the most other airlines.

5. I get to pick where I sit and who I sit by. I'm very broad shouldered and if get assigned to sit next to someone else who is broad shouldered the flight is very very uncomfortable.

6. When I've had a problem, they have always been more than fair. For instance, I had a ticket on a flight from Salt Lake City to Norfolk. The flight left at 7:30 am, but I thought the flight left at 2:40 pm becasue that was the departure time of my previous trip to Norfolk. At 8:00 am (after the flight had already departed) I discovered my mistake. I called Southwest. They put me on the 2:40 pm flight and charged me $18. I was amazed. I thought I would have to purchase a whole new ticket. I can give several other examples of how Southwest has been more than fair with me. Thank you Southwest for being the only airline who has treated me better than I expected.

7. The Southwest employees love working for Southwest and it shows.

I am the presenter at two and three day seminars in hotel conference rooms. I present at 16 conferences per year in 8 states. At each conference I do a segment on "How to set company policies to drive customers away". I use Delta airlines as my primary example. I use Southwest airlines as my primary example of how to attract those customers.

In 2003, Delta airlines had more domestic boardings than Southwest. In 2007, Southwest had 65% more domestic boardings than Delta. People are swarming to Southwest with good reason.

Old May 30, 2008, 10:48 PM
ChrisH ChrisH is offline

Join Date: Oct 2007
Send a message via AIM to ChrisH

This is one reason SWA continues to make money, while other airlines do not, despite all of the extra fees for everything, that the others charge.

To note ... SWA treats there employees well, and pays them well, at that. The employees thus have incentive to care for the customers, unlike at other airlines, where some start their customer service agents off at $7.16/hr. I certainly wouldn't expect good service from those airlines. Those agents could make more at McDonald's.

SWA is a model that other airlines should follow.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:58 AM
PDX88 PDX88 is offline

Join Date: Oct 2010

Southwest sucks for one main reason: The amount of effort I have to put in on my part just to try and enjoy my flight. I have to be right at a computer 24 hours before departure or I end up on the bottom of the boarding list. I can't go use the bathroom or get something to eat near boarding time or I may miss my group and all the good seats are taken. I also can't board at my leisure, I have to board right when they call me or, again, all the good seats would be taken. Not to mention the amount of people with a lower boarding group that always cut in line when boarding which irritates me!

Other airlines make it so easy. Pre-reserve my seats when I buy the ticket, this way I can check in when I want, show up at the gate when I want, and board when I want, and I will always be guaranteed my window seat that I reserved. Southwest makes it too hard which is one of many reasons they rank last on my list of airlines to fly.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:47 AM

I agree that Southwest rocks. The low cost carrier provides better service than the so called "full service" carrier Delta. It boils down to attitude. Southwest has a positive attitude towards its customers... Delta is hostile and exploits its customers.

PDX, after the long list of positive reasons to choose Southwest, you find one aspect of their service you don't like and disregard all others. Fair enough, but there is a lack of logic in your reasoning. Airlines which allow booking of seats will still have to put people in the undesirable seats... if you don't book your seats in time. How is this any different to not getting you seat on SWA if you don't turn up on time?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:04 PM
Gromit801 Gromit801 is offline

Actually SWA isn't that profitable, not compared to a couple of other airlines in the US. I supposed if you like being treated like cattle, SWA is the way to go.

All those extra fees that "other airlines charge?" SWA just hides them in the ticket prices they raised, so you're paying for things even if you don't need them.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:10 PM
PDX88 PDX88 is offline

Join Date: Oct 2010

jimworcs, you are correct that passengers do end up with the middle seats no matter what airline they fly, but a benefit of pre-reserved seats is that most of those who end up in middle seats are there to sit next to their travel companion who are sitting on the aisle or window. On Southwest, if you and your companion are in the C boarding group, you can forget sitting next to them for the flight.

I also find plenty of other reasons not to fly Southwest. I like to be treated as a professional passenger when I fly, not a kindergartner that needs to be sung to. Don't rap or sing during the passenger safety briefing or after landing, its obnoxious. Also, I hate having to fly regional routes 3 or 4 times to get to where I want. PDX-RNO-MCI-DAL. NO THANKS!