Check-in / Boarding
COMPLAINT: AA Flights leave 15 minutes before scheduled departure

Old Jan 14, 2012, 1:39 AM

Contract of Carriage states passenger must be at gate 15 minutes prior to boarding, or it forfeits ticket. This can mean, seat is given to standby passenger, or worse flight can leave before scheduled departure.

With FAA, TSA, Airlines and Airports having different rules, policies, or if ticket agents slow, TSA worse in screening- Check a bag!!! IT almost guarantees you'll make flight, be a passenger.

If your luggage is checked, and stored below, the flight can't leave without you on plane. Only alternative airline has (and must do) is to remove your luggage. That will take 15-20 minutes, giving you enough time to make flight, and ensuring flight doesn't leave 15 minutes early.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:03 AM
Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Originally Posted by jsr72748 View Post
Contract of Carriage states passenger must be at gate 15 minutes prior to boarding, or it forfeits ticket. This can mean, seat is given to standby passenger, or worse flight can leave before scheduled departure.

With FAA, TSA, Airlines and Airports having different rules, policies, or if ticket agents slow, TSA worse in screening- Check a bag!!! IT almost guarantees you'll make flight, be a passenger.

If your luggage is checked, and stored below, the flight can't leave without you on plane. Only alternative airline has (and must do) is to remove your luggage. That will take 15-20 minutes, giving you enough time to make flight, and ensuring flight doesn't leave 15 minutes early.
The 15 minutes depends on the airline. Once the gate is closed it is closed.
If you are having issues with TSA then you need to take that up with TSA.
Domectic flight within the United States do not neccessarily require 100% PPBM (Positive Passenger Baggage match) as 100% of all checked baggage is screened by the TSA. Only international flights require PPBM. And Yes I have worked flights were I have had passengers bags removed and the flight pushed back ontime/early and I have had a couple of flights were bags had to be removed and I have taken delays. International rules are a bit different then domestic rules.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 3:57 PM

The issue is making or not making flight, regardless of TSA, FAA, Airport Management, Airlines and airlines leaving before SCHEDULED DEPARTURE TIME.

I don't guarantee 100% the flight won't leave, with your luggage below and you at the gate. But as you said there is the chance the bag needs to be removed, and it's worth taking to avoid plan leaving BEFORE SCHEDULED, PUBLISHED DEPARTURE TIME.

If you don't then you'll definitely see (from the gate area) your plane traveling to runway (15 minutes early if airline chooses).

Tactic allows passengers recourse, take steps to reduce missing flights which depart before published, scheduled departure time, when their delay to gate was caused by TSA, Airport, etc.

I plan to use it on busy travel days; airport confusion, TSA trial drills which close down security lanes, etc.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:11 PM

Oh, I forgot.

You are correct the airline can close gate 15 minutes prior to departure (and you forfeit your ticket seat). I've never seen this done by any airline unless the flight is oversold. In this case I can accept my seat, ticket being given to someone else. It's BAU, business as usual.

If the flight isn't oversold and no standbys then I would expect (especially AA given its annual $800M cost disadvantage with competitors) to WAIT to ensure most number of paid passengers are on board. THIS MEANS WAITING UNTIL SCHEDULED DEPARTURE TIME BEFORE PULLING AWAY FROM TERMINAL.

The flight I reference left @ mid afternoon, clear blue skies, sunny, light airport traffic. Absolutely no reason what so ever to leave early. When events like this happen you wonder if AA's business problem isn't higher cost, but reduced REVENUE!!

Like I claimed earlier, checking a bag might provide necessary insurance to; (a) avoid early departures, (b) passenger missing flight.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:07 AM

There is a point before the plane's pushed back from the gate, that the flight is closed. Doesn't matter if there's empty seats or not. Usually 10 minutes before the flight, the manifest, weight and balance, and other paperwork must be finalized so the plane can depart. At about 15 minutes or so before departure, they will be releasing seats for the standbys, and the non-revenue passengers like employees, employee families, those with guest passes, and employees of other airlines. THAT, will often fill the empty seats, the paperwork is finalized, and the flight closed. When that happens, they can and will leave early. The bird is full.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:28 AM

I've been on flights where pilots announced the airlines needed to remove bags checked because passenger wasn't on board.

I'll start checking mine. If I need the 15 minutes and flight doesn't leave earlier than SCHEDULED DEPARTURE, then it worked. If they still leave well, I'll catch the next flight. At least I tried only recourse available to PAYING passenger.

However given AA current financial strains, they might not be around for long, and they only have themselves to blame. Like I said it's a revenue problem and leaving 15 minutes before SCHEDULED DEPARTURE TIME shows they're shooting themselves in the foot. Poor management, not focused on revenue, service, just cost. You can't save yourself through cost cutting, it's a downward spiral.... ONLY save company through REVENUE GROW- paying passenger is good start.

Cheers