Reservations
COMPLAINT: Unauthorized Flight changes

Old Jan 23, 2013, 3:32 PM

Join Date: Jan 2013

Spirit Airlines....Without doing my homework I jumped on the bandwagon for inexpensive direct flights to Florida. Reserved and paid for our Florida trip with Spirit on 11/13/12. We were to leave 1/23 and return 1/29. When I logged into Spirit to check in and print boarding passes last night I learned that our flight was now leaving a day late 1/24 and coming home a day early 1/28! When calling customer service I was told that I received an email 11/15. Really? an email? The only emails that I receive from them daily are for sales and promotions....Would I really wait until the day before my vacation to complain on purpose? Our small business is virtually shut down for this vacation, we are bringing in "no income" and sitting here miserable instead of on a airplane for a trip that we paid for by being responsible business people who provide excellent customer service. #1 in complaints....Congratulations Spirit! I'm spreading the word!

Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:13 PM

Not sure the word is getting or will get around as in your first 6 words you admitted not researching. Put your energy elsewhere rather than an impossible crusade to bring down a 3rd rate airline.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:33 PM

Join Date: Jan 2013

Fat lady hasn't sang yet....waiting to hear from local television station consumer reports, my complaint on Facebook has brought other area people out of the woodwork. The Better Business Bureau has my report and I'm determined to go plant myself in someone's office in Miami if need be. I've raised five children...multi-tasking and energy dispersements are 2nd nature.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:49 PM
azstar azstar is offline

Originally Posted by Donna Mosberger View Post
Don't waste your time. Spirit thrives on negative publicity. The more people complain about them, the more people rush to buy their deceptively cheap tickets.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:44 PM

She doesn't get it.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:59 PM

Join Date: Jan 2013

Maybe I do not get it...and at the end of the day I will probably be only more disappointed. I thought this forum would give me some help or some cheers of encouragement...won't let your negativity be contagious. Life wil go on, lessons will be learned. Hope you are better are encouraging your kids than you are at complete strangers....
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:12 PM

I love how people try to make these places personal. A backhanded comment at one's kids is really pathetic as you don't know anyone's situation with their family. Personally, my child died from leukemia when he was 5. So I never got a chance to encourage him. But as you said, life will go on.

You came here for help. Please read up on the CEO of this airline. You will learn that he is happy, very happy with the way things are going and will not change a thing.

Last edited by The_Judge; Jan 23, 2013 at 8:15 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:53 PM
stonecold_1981 stonecold_1981 is offline

Join Date: Feb 2011

OP -
Spirit doesn't pay on advertising; it relies on it's customers and friends (doesn't matter if it's good or bad publicity!). Below is a quote from a WSJ Interview with Spirit's CEO:

"One way to advertise your product is to create good-looking TV ads, radio ads, advertise in newspapers. We don't do any of that.

We email those ads to millions of people. People talk about them, email them to friends, they laugh about them, or get mad about them, or write a blog about how insensitive we are, or how funny we are. We've gotten all of that.
It allows us to spend less money as a percent of our revenue on marketing than any other airline by a long shot. And yet we have huge name recognition across the country—in part because of negative media—but people know we're a low-fare carrier."

You can read the article/interview on WSJ:
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:08 AM

It s even more than that... This method of aggressive responses to customer complaints, pioneered by Ryanair is intended to lower expectations and "educate" the consumer. They know that peope will perceive them to be low cost and low service, but also know that price is king with their target market. They really do not care if they alienate you and you bad mouth them.

Reservations Continental makes Unauthorized passenger itinerary changes shah121 Reservations 9 Dec 8, 2009 8:24 AM