Old Dec 30, 2008, 1:00 AM
american airlines sucks american airlines sucks is offline

Default Horrible

I hope that American Airlines files for bankruptcy ASAP! This is the worst airline, from their ****** flighty attendants to their small and cramped seats.

Don't ever schedule with these worthless pieces of ****! If you want to reschedule your flight, these bastards charge more than the price of your original ticket! One might ask why...the answer is simple...they are desperate for money! Ever since Southwest started to introduce cheap flights, AA finds anyway possible to make money because of all the clients they have lost! I hope that this company loses all its business and all their ****ty employees with attitudes are laid off!

That's all!

Old Dec 30, 2008, 4:33 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
Angry, aren't we?
Apparently. And no details/specifics whatsoever. If you're going to vent at least say why.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:08 AM
azstar azstar is offline

When you bought your deeply discounted ticket (no doubt) you agreed to a contract to fly on the flight/date that you purchased. You, apparently, broke that contract and you have to pay. If you buy a concert ticket and you miss the concert, you're out the money. They don't let you walk up to the ticket window and say "I couldn't make it, so now I want to attend tomorrow's concert." How is an airline seat any different?
Old Dec 31, 2008, 1:45 AM

By the same token, when you buy your ticket for the concert, the concert venue didn't say "oops, we overbooked the concert on the assumption that some of you wouldn't turn up, would anyone like to volunteer to come back tomorrow or go and see Dolly Parton instead". These things should work both ways.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:20 AM
airhead airhead is offline

Concerts are run by promoters who take responsibility, career and financially, for the event. The entertainment knows exactly at what time and how much they are getting paid.

Airlines are publicly owned corporations that have millions of dollars tied up in lobbying activities. The airline employees have no idea when they will go home some days.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 3:28 PM

Airhead...I don't understand this response..but I am not sure if it is me, or it is not clear?

What does the fact that concerts are run by promoters have to do with my analogy?
What difference does it make that the entertainment knows what time the show is and what they are getting paid?
What is the significance of the airlines having millions of dollars tied up in lobbying activities?
What is the significance of airline employees having no idea when they will do home?

What has any of this got to do with my analogy

Jim
Old Jan 1, 2009, 8:45 PM
Leatherboy2006 Leatherboy2006 is offline

Join Date: Nov 2007

I Want To See Dolly Parton.....i Love Her
Old Jan 2, 2009, 2:07 AM

Me too...but which self respecting gay man doesn't?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:51 AM
airhead airhead is offline

Jim: I was referring to the other person who was comparing concert tickets to airline tickets. Their really is no comparison. It is like apples and oranges...it makes no sense.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:40 PM
azstar azstar is offline

I was referring to a concert (such as a symphony) or a theatre performance. There are a fixed amount of seats in the theatre (same as an airplane). When you pay for the theatre seat or airline seat for a specific date/time, the seat cannot generally be resold at the last minute if you don't use it. So, you can't go to a theatre before, or after, the performance and say "I want to use this on a different date". The theatre will simply say "buy a new ticket for your new performance date". Why should an airline just let you fly on another date. They've taken the loss for the seat you previously didn't occupy. The analogy makes perfect sense.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 12:14 AM

That is fine AZ... so why are airlines allowed to sell more seats than they have? Answer specifically how you would feel if you went to a concert that you had booked tickets for and the venue said that they had sold more tickets than seats.. you are on standby in case there are some no shows or volunteers who would wait until tomorrow. I do not think you would be happy.

You are trying to have it both ways. The concert analogy to explain why the customer should not be able to re-book, but not explaining why the airline should not equally be held to the contract.

It is hypocritical.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 2:24 AM
Corbel Corbel is offline

Default what about hotels?

its not just the airline industry that overbooks. I have been to a few hotels that oversell as well
Old Jan 4, 2009, 3:08 AM

Well, I have to say, I travel a lot, for both work and leisure and I have never been turned away from a hotel with a confirmed booking. I have however, had a number of experiences of airline overbooking. If this happens, I would hazard a guess that it is a lot less common than on the airlines.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:39 PM

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post

It is hypocritical.
You are correct, and I agree with your double standard issue. It's a valid argument.The federal government allows airlines to overbook flights and requires them to offer compensation if they are unable to accommodate a passenger. This practice goes way back to when tickets were all refundable, and there were no e-tickets so airlines didn't know who was ticketed, and who was not. I believe that overbooking should be illegal. However, when you buy a ticket (a contract with the airline) you are committing to fly on a specific flight and date. Both sides should be required to honor their commitments, in my opinion.

Last edited by azstar; Jan 4, 2009 at 1:42 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:41 PM

Join Date: Jan 2009
Thumbs down UNTRAINED PERSON MISTAKE - 90 days for refund????

We ship pets and have the unfortunate opportunity now and then to use American Airlines in Buffalo to fly out our puppies. I arrived (after driving 2+ hours) 2 hours prior to the flight leaving (arrived at 5:30am) to the check-in area. I was told that the gentleman checking me in "didn't have a clue how to do live pets". I was then informed that the other two people didn't either. (HELLO....if they cannot do their job, why are they there????). Then, after processing things incorrectly for over 1.5 hours, I was informed that he mischarged my card and had to cancel everything and start over. He also asked ME..YES ME...to fill out the inspection forms because he did not have a clue how to do them. (So much for safer skies....let's just have the terrorists in the future inspect their own baggage!!) Anyway, he reprocessed the paperwork while on the phone with another airport who was walking him through things. He recharged my card again. WELL...All charges were processed and American is making ME (YES, ME AGAIN) fill out a ton of forms and then wait 60 days to see if they can get me my refund. WHAT????? You have an untrained employee who screwed up and the customer has to do all of the legwork???? No wonder American is doing so poorly in ratings. We have unqualified, lazy, arrogant people serving us. Then...DON'T TRY TO CALL as they have no numbers with humans that can help you!!!!!!
I will pay the extra to go another airline in the future as they are just HORRID to deal with. I was told again today that if I didn't have an airbill for the wrong charges, they could not help me!! I was never given paperwork as the guy screwed it up and said it was all cancelled out. They do not hold their employees accountable at all. Nor do they train them.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:37 AM

Tell them you will file a claim in Small Claims Court if they have not resolved your problem in 30 days and stop called them. Send it to them by certified letter. Then do it... you shouldn't have to do all this running around, it is ridiculous.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:53 AM
Eagleguy Eagleguy is offline
American Airlines Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Join Date: Aug 2008

I completely understand your frustration about your ordeal shipping your pets.

However, take two steps back and just imagine if you were that airport agent. In such a small airport as Buffalo that agent probably has multiple jobs he has to perform. Check-in, boarding, baggage, AND cargo. In a large airport usually there is a dedicated department who handles all the cargo shipment, but in a small one the agent is expected to know everything. Doing PPS is very complicated with a lot of regulations that the public is not aware of, nor should be.

P.S. A lot of those forms you are supposed to fill out yourself and not by the agent. There is actually a part of the airway bill that we are not allowed to write in, it must be your handwriting.

When an employee doesn't know how to perform a certain task, we usually do call another airport and get advice. If the next time you ship your dogs and you are faced with the same trouble, I would be more than happy to give you my cell phone number so that the agent can call me and I can help get through it. Of course I would only give it out in private. It's kinda funny, but usually my airport gets calls from Tallahassee, Dayton, and Louisville. Whenever I get absolutely completely finally stumped I call Greenville-Spartenburg.

As an airline agent, we are a lot nicer than you think. We're not made of stone or stupidity.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:35 AM

Default Excuses, Excuses

You are a true exception then with AA. Every person I have dealt with due to this incorrect charging of my card acts clueless. I am sure even being an employee, if they mess up your pay for example, do you feel like waiting 60-90 days (the additional 30 has already passed and they are telling me 60 more days) for your adjustment???? Didn't think so! Also, they were the inspection forms I was asked to fill out. The ones mentioned the application of the zip ties, did you check for this, did you check for that. I AM NOT THE IDIOT!! I know which forms I need to fill out and which they should be. We have been breeding dogs for 9 years and flying them. I am glad you have so much faith and confidence in your employer....you are one of the few. I guess the point is in smaller airports, CREATE PROCESS MANUALS!!!!!!!! It is an industry standard for processes that are not commonly done to prevent mistakes. Don't give me a cop-out on the airport size. We used to fly them all out of University Park which is TINY! No problems there!! Same process at the ticket counter.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 2:29 AM

I understand your anger csharer, but I think you were a little hard on Eagleguy, and I am known for being tough on the airlines. His offer to give you his personal phone number is very generous and is to be applauded. However, I think that the biggest problem here isn't the initial problem of the untrained check in clerk. The biggest problem is that once it was apparent that AA had screwed up royally, instead of facing up to it, acknowledging that they had failed to meet a satisfactory standard and then moving quickly to resolve the problem; they have instead added to your frustration by making you jump hoops to get your money back and creating demands such as an airbill in order to help you. This is unacceptable. I would write to them, tell them that they have 30 days to refund your money, after that you will be filing a small claims court claim. Tell them that you will expect statutory interest on the money and you will include all your expenses, including your time, in recovering the funds. Then have no further contact.. just file the claim after 30 days.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 1:03 PM

Join Date: Jan 2009

You are correct and I applaud Eagle guy for the offer. The untrained clerks are an issue as I have never experienced that amount of incompetence (and no manual to help them). You are very correct though, they messes up and I am furious that they refuse to say "Hey, we really screwed up...let US fix our error." Instead, they are dodging everything they can "and will see what we can do in 30-60 days".

Egyptair - Horrible!!! SALLY_716 Other Airline Complaints 4 Jan 18, 2009 9:31 PM
Customer Service Horrible Service Lena Fontaine Customer Service 1 Dec 18, 2008 1:45 PM
Customer Service Horrible Service Never again American Airlines Complaints 6 Oct 31, 2008 3:52 AM
In-flight Issue Horrible Service, AA 181, 7/23/08 willy9394 American Airlines Complaints 6 Aug 4, 2008 6:45 PM
Baggage Problems Horrible Airline II roadwarrior666 Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 1 Mar 12, 2008 12:31 AM