#1  
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:53 PM
Elena Elena is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1
Default Don't Fly Alaska Airlines!

On May 30, 2009, I was trying to fly home from San Jose,CA to Seattle WA. I was scheduled to fly on Alaska Airlines Flight 329 however, I was delayed 3 hours. The "Lead ticket agent" Sonya was verbally abusive, and completely lack all skills in providing assistance or caring about the well being of another person. The ticket agents gave misinformation and lied. The problem originated that I was told that I was 5 min past the check-in time to check my luggage on my flight and therefore my luggage had to go on a later flight (separate from me). I was then told to sign a waiver that I voluntarily allowed my luggage to be separated from me. I felt this was inaccurate because I was not voluntarily allowing my luggage to be separated from me and I was being told to sign a document that was not true. With the ticket agents present, I explained that due to their mandate, I had to comply with their requirements of being separated from my luggage but I was not "voluntarily separating from my luggage". I was doing it because I was told to do so. I then signed their required waiver in front of them, acknowledging that my luggage would be separated from me and also documented my concerns on the waiver. Never was it explained to me (that by me adding additional information along with my signature), that I would be dealing with any difficulties. The agents saw what I wrote and re-read it before taking my lugggage. I then went to my gate for my flight. Suddenly without warning at the gate, I was denied boarding on my flight. I was told that the ticket agent Supervisor Lead-Sonya was on her way to the gate and that she had pulled me off my flight. I explained to the ticket agent that this didn't make sense. I also explained that I needed to get home because of health issues that I have to manage very carefully or I could be put into a life threatening condition. I told her that I have a serious chronic disease called Crohn's disease and that the stress they were putting me through was causing my intestines to swell. If the swelling gets out of control, the situation can become fatal. At this point with the conversation with the Gate Agent, Sonya takes over the conversation and starts berating me about my luggage. She was belligerent and punitive. Her conduct was absolutely aggressive and wretched. She has no business dealing with the public on any level. I was in sobs and kept telling her that she didn't need to grind me into the ground. When I kept trying to explain that I was not informed that there was any controvery with the ticket agents when I wrote my concerns on the waiver. This Supervisor continued to twist my words and verbally attack me. I told the Ticket agent- Sonya that I would sign another waiver if need be so that I could get on my flight. She was completely unyielding and atongonizing. I begged to get on my flight because I needed to get to my destination because I had planned my health regiment around getting home at a specific time, but because of this abusive woman, my health was seriously compromised last night and I was forced to remain at San Jose Airport 3 hours against my will because there were no other flights available other than the one that Sonya had forced me to take. When I called the 800 number for customer service and explained what I was going through because this unprofessional/uncalled for situation, they provided me an upgrade for the next flight as some compensation for what I was going through. Later when I got my boarding pass, I was told that the ticket agents at San Jose Int'l airport had arbitrarily retracted the upgrade. This woman, Sonya should be fired. I will NEVER, NEVER fly Alaska Airlines again and will make sure other know how rude and abusive that they are!
  #2  
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:31 PM
Leatherboy2006 Leatherboy2006 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 340
Default

why is this under American Airlines?
  #3  
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:55 PM
abutterfinger25 abutterfinger25 is offline
US Department of Transportation Employee
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Washington Metro Area
Posts: 197
Default

Tip to all passengers. When you disclose your medical condition to a carrier employee, try to refrain from exagerating or using phrses like "life threatening". The carrier could, and routinely does, deny a passenger transportation based on its belief that a passenger may not be able to complete a flight without extraordinary medical assistance. The carrier will then demand a note from your doctor clearing your from travel. The carrier is within existing regultions by making these decisions. This is for anything from peanut allergies to the situation described by Elena.

Please note that I am in no way insisting that Elena exagerating her medical condition, however, I have seen instances where passenger's have exagerated and then when told they could not fly, tried to back-peddle to no avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena View Post
I also explained that I needed to get home because of health issues that I have to manage very carefully or I could be put into a life threatening condition. I told her that I have a serious chronic disease called Crohn's disease and that the stress they were putting me through was causing my intestines to swell. If the swelling gets out of control, the situation can become fatal.
Note to administrator: Can you please move this to Alaska's board.
  #4  
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:24 PM
bah humbug bah humbug is offline
Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 64
Thumbs down Bah humbug

The problem originated that I was told that I was 5 min past the check-in time to check my luggage on my flight and therefore my luggage had to go on a later flight (separate from me). I was then told to sign a waiver that I voluntarily allowed my luggage to be separated from me. I felt this was inaccurate because I was not voluntarily allowing my luggage to be separated from me and I was being told to sign a document that was not true.

If you were to late to check in your luggage for your flight, it is a courtesy to you that they allow you to check in your luggage (voluntary separation) and to have it come later so that you may still try to catch the flight. If they did not do that, you would miss your flight and end up standby on a later flight (if that particular airline allows standy, not all do) or you could have been charged a fee for the next flight. Sounds like you showed your a** at the tkt counter.

I have a serious chronic disease called Crohn's disease and that the stress they were putting me through was causing my intestines to swell. If the swelling gets out of control, the situation can become fatal.

Oh please, you must think we are stupid and know nothing about Crohns disease. I can hardly believe you would have dropped dead at the gate. You started your own stress by showing your a** at the counter. Anyone with a medical condition so serious as the one you claimo have would have just took it all in stride and not let themselves get upset.
Bah humbug
  #5  
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:31 AM
mars6423 mars6423 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey/Singapore
Posts: 412
Send a message via AIM to mars6423
Default

i agree with butterfinger and partially with bah humbug

i am sorry to hear about your condition and the stress that you were put in, and there should have been more understanding. However, you also have to understand that it is also dangerous for an airline to take a passenger who is deamed to have a life threatening illness as if something happens in the air than there are few actions that can be taken and there are liabilities and responsibilities that must be met. The airlines like to cover their butts but they also are doing this to help you. The airline has the right to not allow you to board due to your situation, even though it may seem unfair to you, but if god forbid something does happen to you or any passenger with a illness midflight it is alot harder to deal with and precious time would be lost if it is fatal, and for the other passengers it would be unfair for them to be put into that situation.

The only part i agree with with bahhumbug is the fact that you were late to check in and had to sign a waiver. It may say that you voluntarily agree to the bags going seperatly but you were late so you have to understand that this maybe one consequence, so even though you may say you didnt volunteer to do this you kinda stepped into it and the airline (alaska) told you what would happen and in that case you would still get your bag(s)

the actions of the staff were over the top rude and harsh if what you say is accurate
  #6  
Old Jun 2, 2009, 4:29 AM
Jetliner Jetliner is offline
Former Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena View Post
I also explained that I needed to get home because of health issues that I have to manage very carefully or I could be put into a life threatening condition. I told her that I have a serious chronic disease called Crohn's disease and that the stress they were putting me through was causing my intestines to swell. If the swelling gets out of control, the situation can become fatal.
From http://www.ccfa.org/info/about/crohns

"While Crohn's is a serious chronic disease with many complications, it is not considered a fatal illness."

Sorry, but I'm about to vent. Idiots like you why I left the airlines. I'm sick and tired of people making up crap about how they are going to end up in the hospital or dead because they are going to be late or their bag came up missing, etc, etc, etc.
  #7  
Old Jun 4, 2009, 5:05 PM
nasher32 nasher32 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5
Default

WOW!! You are really RUDE!! I hope I never run into you at the gate you must work for American Airlines to be that ridiculous! How dare you get on here and cuss and attack someone that is filing a complaint or telling there story... figures you are an airline employee though.
  #8  
Old Jun 4, 2009, 5:05 PM
nasher32 nasher32 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5
Default

By the way that was for Bah humbug BUT I am sure you guessed that...
  #9  
Old Jun 4, 2009, 5:08 PM
nasher32 nasher32 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5
Default

File a complaint with Alaska and give them her name and the airport. Tell them you want someone to get back to you, they will, Alaska is actually pretty good at customer service and they do care... it's the bitter angry, desk agents you run into every once in a while that can ruin it for you. She just hates her JOB... intersting enough I once ran into a Sonya at Seattle Alaska who was the SAME way... I called and filed a complaint specifically about her.
  #10  
Old Jun 5, 2009, 7:38 PM
AirlineComplaints.org AirlineComplaints.org is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abutterfinger25 View Post
Note to administrator: Can you please move this to Alaska's board.
Thread Moved.
  #11  
Old Jun 5, 2009, 7:49 PM
ChrisH ChrisH is offline
Former Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 214
Send a message via AIM to ChrisH
Default

There has to be more to this story. An airline doesn't just deny boarding to a passenger without cause. There had to be more said, or done at the ticket counter, to warrant the ticket agents going to get their supervisor, and supervisor taking the time to go to the gate, and deny boarding.

One thing I've experienced in three years of working for the airlines, is that there is most always more to the story, and often times, there are two sides. You cannot expect that airline agents will treat you with a constant smile, and that you can treat them however you like. It does not work that way.

One reason I'm always skeptical of these complaints, is because I've witnessed incidents between agents and passengers, in the past, and have been amazed at how passenger complaints tend to be one sided, and often times leave out how rude they were to the agent, and how often times, they (the passenger), actually instigated the rudeness.

I'd be willing to bet that this situation started with the original poster being told s/he was beyond the cut off time for check in. An attitude ensued, even though they were late, and it is known that all airlines have a cut off time you must meet. The agents informed the original poster that they would need him/her to sign a wavier for his/her bags; more attitude ensued. Then, the original poster wrote some things on the waiver, that weren't necessary. This caused the agents to take note, enough, to inform their supervisor, and the supervisor was concerned about something, enough so, that she went to the gate, and denied boarding to the original poster.

Alaska Airlines was doing a favor by allowing this person to make their original flight, and checking their bags on the next flight. In most cases, when someone is beyond the cut off point, you place them, and their bags, standby, on the next flight.

I'm not excusing the supervisors behavior, assuming that part of the story is completely true, regarding her behavior, but I still think there is much more to this, for someone to be denied boarding.
  #12  
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:15 PM
norseman norseman is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasher32 View Post
WOW!! You are really RUDE!! I hope I never run into you at the gate you must work for American Airlines to be that ridiculous! How dare you get on here and cuss and attack someone that is filing a complaint or telling there story... figures you are an airline employee though.
Lol, i don't think you read Jeliners response. Actually i know you didn't read it because he said he LEFT THE AIRLINE industry. Jetliner isn't rude YOU were in your quick accusations.

I agree with ChrisH in that there are two sides to every story-- Elena was exagerating (ie lying or not telling the truth) about their condition and was therefore eexpecting special treatment. I'm sure they could have been more cordial but i think it is poor that you immediatly judge a (former) airline employee
  #13  
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:19 AM
Jetliner Jetliner is offline
Former Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 495
Default

norseman - look at the next post after the one you are referring to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasher32 View Post
By the way that was for Bah humbug BUT I am sure you guessed that...
  #14  
Old Jun 14, 2009, 6:58 PM
lisa11 lisa11 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2
Default What a service.......horrible

I am a hotel concierge in Hawaii. My guest came to me and told me she left her ID in an Alaska Airlines flight. So I called the main line of the Alaska Airlines. The agent I spoke to was reallly rude. She goes, "i can"t help you because I am in Pheonix. I also aske her if she can give me their local number so I can contact for Lost & Found. She still keeps saying," i can't help you because I am in Pheonix.". Are you stupid? I am in service industry for a long time and have never encountered this kind of service. She is something else. Asked her for her manager. She gave me their local number and gave me an excuse for her staff's rude attitude. "She thought you want the guest's local number. We can give passenger's contact number for privacy rules." I know that since I am in hotel industry. I had never said that and also told her I need Alaska Airline's local number for Lost & Found". I will never recommend Alska Airlines to anybody!
Reply

More options...
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Complaint Complaint Author Forum Replies Last Post
Customer Service Horrible Service at Alaska Airlines FJP Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 11 Apr 13, 2009 4:19 AM
Check-in / Boarding Alaska Airlines Stand By Policy a Lie Todd Brown Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 2 Jan 29, 2009 11:16 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Alaska Airlines - I need your help with this issue. jopeters41 Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 8 Dec 15, 2008 6:19 AM
Writing a Letter of Complaint to Alaska Airlines AirlineComplaints.org Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 1 Jan 17, 2008 1:42 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:21 AM.

 

About Us

We are the oldest and largest Airline Complaints organization in the world. We have been making your airline complaints matter since 2006. Learn more.

 

Advertising

Advertise with us to reach a highly-targeted audience of airline passengers.

Copyright © 2020