Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked
COMPLAINT: Alaska cancelled my direct flight

Old Dec 14, 2008, 12:08 AM

Alaska cancelled my direct flight and put me on a flight with a layover. Initially, when I booked there was a direct flight from PDX to Cabo San Lucas. Just recently I got an email saying that this flight wasn't available and now I have to fly much longer. Is there any way to get a refund?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Dec 14, 2008, 2:43 AM
Banned

Absolutely. Schedule changes occur al the time. The more in advance you purchase your ticket, the more likely it is to change. If the schedule change either departs much earlier than you planned, gets to the destination much later, involves adding a stop, etc. you are entitled to a refund. Just call Alaska Airlines and tell them that the new itinerary which includes the stop doesn't work for you.

I did some checking on other airlines and there arer no direct flights from Portland to Cabo so if you're still planning to go there I'm not sure what getting your money back is going to accompish. But hey, that's your call.

Good luck.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:10 PM
US Department of Transportation Employee

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Alaska cancelled my direct flight and put me on a flight with a layover. Initially, when I booked there was a direct flight from PDX to Cabo San Lucas. Just recently I got an email saying that this flight wasn't available and now I have to fly much longer. Is there any way to get a refund?
You COULD be entitled to a refund but it depends on your original ticket. Carriers state in their contract of carriage that schedules are not guaranteed. However, the Department of Transportation has taken the position that if there is a "significant" change then the passenger could request a refund EVEN IF the ticket was sold as non-refundable.

The DOT would consider a change from a non-stop flight to a connection to be significant. But a change from a "direct" flight to a connection may not be. By nature, a direct flight is basically a connection flight with no change in flight numbers as the aircraft still makes a stop at an airport other than your final destination.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 5:38 PM

Slow day at work today so was nosey and went on Alaskas web site under terms of carriage and unfortunitly you are not entitled to refund they have on under there this
  1. Alaska does not guarantee carriage on any particular type or make of aircraft and reserves the right to provide carriage on the aircraft or air carrier of its choice.
  2. Arrival and departure times shown in Alaska's schedules, timetables, or elsewhere are not guaranteed and may be changed without notice.
Also be careful of the term "direct" flight, my Aunt book from San Diego to Chicago-midway with Southwest on a "direct" flight that made 5 stops. We then learned direct is taking the same flight number all the way through but could make stops. Look for non-stops. She is diabetic and luckily had snacks with her cause they would not let her off plane at stops due to short ground times.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 6:01 PM
US Department of Transportation Employee

Leatherboy, regardless of what it says on Alaska's contract of carriage, gkirkemo COULD be entitled to a refund if the was a significant change from his original itinerary and the rescheduled one.