COMPLAINT: Who runs the inept United?

Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:54 PM
united-will-fail united-will-fail is offline

Wow – I would be ashamed if I was running United. I cannot believe the corporate BS that united Customer service; united baggage claim and united Customer (bad) relations lay down. I paid $339.36 for an extra overweight bag. The bag arrived 6 days after me. I spent several hours on the phone with united trying to find out where the bag was and when it would arrive. On the third day I found out they delivered it to the wrong address. United baggage insisted that they had no liability since the recipient had accepted the bag and they basically told me that I would have to retrieve the bag myself. The address was 188 miles from the correct address that I had provided! After several hours on the phone, I finally convinced someone to pickup the bag at the wrong address and deliver it to the right address. Of course this took a few days. By the 5th day I was tired of wearing dirty clothes so I called to ask for a refund of the $339.36 excess baggage fee. The united agent (Rohit) told me that this fee was not refundable but he could not provide a reason. I suspect the reason was some corporate policy that was conjured up by the brilliant, overpaid united CEO. In fairness, Rohit did offer a $50 voucher good towards another united flight. However, this voucher would not do me any good since I will never fly United again. Since I work for a major commercial airplane manufacture, my success partially depends on United. Unfortunately I think I (and the rest of us) would be better served if United would fold and let the other airlines provide the services that are beyond united capability. Also, I read the United “Customer Commitments” on their web site. They sound good, but I wonder for whom they apply?

Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:24 PM
Silent Bob Silent Bob is offline

Location: NY NY

While I would agree your situation is harsh, and I think they should do more than just a 50 dollar voucher, I am in disagreeance with their customer service, as I have had nothing but good things to say about their service. I've flown United for years and they've always been the best to me compared to the other airlines. But that's just me. However I do hope they do more for you, given the situation.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 1:57 AM
countrynewsman countrynewsman is offline

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Killeen, Texas

I also have had good experiences with United, with a couple of exceptions. I don't let those exceptions deter me from flying them again. Frankly, if I were to threaten not to fly with a carrier because of a problem I had with them, I would eventually run out of airlines to fly! I would, however, write to United and explain everything that happened and request they investigate the problem. You deserve more than a voucher.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 7:31 PM
exexpat exexpat is offline

Join Date: Apr 2009

That really sucked. It seems United and Airtrans are my least favorite airlines to fly and the last two airlines I really liked to fly were Braniff and British Caladonian. Ha! Ha! That is how long things have been going down hill.

Airtrans flight from Atlanta to Norfolk. Sat on the tar for about an hour before taking off. When I arrived very late my bags were not there. Asked the staff where they were. They were sent to Chicago. Why Chicago? No answer. Two days later I get my bags. Nice one Airtrans! Maybe Airtrans and United could merge - they could be the United States version of AEROFLOT. Hah! Hah! Hah!
Old Apr 17, 2009, 8:07 PM
countrynewsman countrynewsman is offline

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Killeen, Texas

Ah yes...I remember Braniff International well. They used to have a clock at the front of the cabin. We used to call them "Braniff Intermittent", the largest non-scheduled airline in the world!
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:12 PM
exexpat exexpat is offline

Join Date: Apr 2009

Originally Posted by countrynewsman View Post
I still liked Braniff though. The staff was great.

In-flight Issue American Airlines Runs out of Food hhansell2003 American Airlines Complaints 7 Apr 9, 2012 11:17 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked United #1608 Jomied United Airlines Complaints 1 Jul 3, 2008 7:41 PM
Baggage Problems United Airlines Bag and Personnel Problems - oh yeah, Dulles United Airlines people ntboy7756 United Airlines Complaints 6 May 10, 2008 7:11 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked United nightmare tamarav United Airlines Complaints 0 Jan 9, 2008 11:39 PM
United and American in the same boat AAMileageRIPOFF AAdvantage Complaints 0 Oct 1, 2007 12:09 PM