COMPLAINT: easyJet and my broken arm

Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:27 PM
rehodnett rehodnett is offline

Join Date: Mar 2009

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass body.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} I am contacting you regarding easyjet and the way they treated me whilst travelling with them recently. I have had not much luck in getting a decent response from them - having sent 4-5 letters and emails to their customer services department, and all senior members of management. I have had replies to my emails but they always seem to skip past the crucial points - and ultimately in effect unfairly lay the blame on me.

In short - I broke my arm on a snowboarding holiday, and when I came to check in at Lyon airport I was forced to remove my cast completely (with a stanley knife borrowed from a newsagent) whilst the check-in members of staff were very rude, obnoxious and seemed to find the whole situation very funny. These staff members broke easyJet's regulations which state “Passengers travelling with a plaster cast that has been fitted for less than 48 hours then the cast needs to be split (the split need to run along the entire length of the cast) If the plaster cast been fitted for more than 48 hours there is no requirement for the cast to be split.” (http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html) Unfortunately for me my medical certificate did not show the time my cast was fitted – just the date. My cast had been on for over 52 hours, and even though I asked if the supervisor could make a simple phone call to the hospital (using my phone) to clarify this, she refused and told me that the only way I could board my flight was by entirely removing my cast. I was left with a broken, unsupported limb - no medical help was offered nor available when I asked for help.
Making me cut my cast off breaks their regulations completely – and their duty of care towards me as a passenger. These regulations are there to protect passengers – but this member of staff’s incompetence could have rendered my arm paralysed. If this appalling attitude continues then I feel that another passenger may not be as fortunate as I was to escape serious injury.

I think that the general public need to know about these regulations - and the consequences of being so unfortunate to have a completely inept member of staff serve you at the check in - there must be hundreds of people a year who break limbs whilst skiing/snowboarding who aren't aware of these policies. I also think easyJet need to learn that if they had given me a little courtesy and respect in replying properly to my letters and emails and giving this matter some consideration I wouldn't be taking this matter public now.

Old Aug 28, 2009, 4:26 PM
Gromit801 Gromit801 is offline

bcde738 Reported for spam
Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:30 PM
twesty1 twesty1 is offline

Join Date: Dec 2009

This is outrageous. Have you talked to a lawyer? There must be a case here.

easyjet g.van tuyll easyJet Complaints 0 Sep 27, 2008 10:25 AM
EasyJet onebigannie easyJet Complaints 1 Feb 26, 2008 3:30 PM
Baggage Problems Fragile items checked in, arrived broken. lilbuzzbuzz Southwest Airlines Complaints 0 Apr 26, 2007 12:15 PM