COMPLAINT: Easyjet Ruined Our Christmas

Old Dec 27, 2007, 7:28 AM
alsie989 alsie989 is offline

Join Date: Dec 2007

We had 10 flights booked with easyjet - all was going fine until Sunday 23rd December when the fog stopped flights from gatwick , well it did for EJ British Airways managed to do the same run albeit late.

My wife and step daughter arrived from Sofia to Gatwick to find thier flight to Edinburgh cancelled - we had delibertly paid an extra 20 to travel on a Sunday to save an overnight stay in London(this was not to be.I hate to say it folks but EJ literally spoiled christmas for us. There were seats on the 6.30am flights next day (xmas eve) still available but going fast.The EJ clerk told my wife that a directive had come down from management that they were not to transfer flights - customers would have to go online book & pay for tickets then reclaim the money from customer services -(I listened intently to every word) also that any hotel and taxi fares would be taken care of..My wife called me on the mobile and I spoke to the clerk too who advised me to do it straight away as flights on xmas eve were going fast.

Needless to say I did it all within 10 mins and the flights were booked.But if I had been there i would have created more fuss until someone told me what we were to do if A.we had no debit card B.we could not work internet C.we had no cash to pay for Hotel or taxi. EJ had helped in no way to secure safe accomodation for my family - thrusting a brochure in my wifes hand then her frantically calling me to find them a bed.

My wife eventualy got back 9am next day safe and well but traumatized by the experience. On calling customer services I was informed that they had no authority to refund my cash although sympathetic it had to be put in writing to their head office to be dealt with!

Result my step daughter is in the UK for the 1st time ever and EJ have in their coffers around 500 of family money that was specifically to be used in taking her around and enjoying xmas . I have only so far asked about their flight refund if it had just been the hotel and taxis we were out of pocket we could have lived with that. I do not know of any Family that can afford to be less 500 at this time of year - other travellers beware.

Any barrack room lawyers out there that can help us in this matter would be appreciated . Thanks EJ for spoiling 6 months of careful planning - our 4 remaining flights will be taken for financial reasons only we will have no more to do with you from then on in - you realy are a faceless airline .

thanks forum readers for listening to my tale of woe.

Old Feb 8, 2009, 8:18 PM
Trigger Trigger is offline

Join Date: Feb 2009

This is a dreadful story. Did you complain via email to "Easy" Jet? I have been trying to get an issue resolved concerning my wheelchair bound mother who spent many hours stranded as the pilot said he did not have to board the wheelchair passengers, he had a blazing argument with the ground crew, off loaded the ladies luggage and left them there. They had to wait for the plane to fly to Liverpool and back before they could board. I keep getting cut and pasted text as a reply to my emails. Am thoroughly disgusted as I am sure you are. Only problem is, my mother has no alternative but to fly "Easy" Jet as she is a pensioner and loves to visit us in Holland. They seem to ignore any communication and I am totally frustrated. Did you ever manage to get any compensation?
Kind regards, Alison
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:36 PM

I am afraid Easyjet may have a way out of this. European airlines do not have to offer compensation if flights are cancelled or delayed due to "extraordinary circumstances". The regulations which apply are at this link:

The problem with these regulations is that airlines have a very liberal interpretation of what constitutes 'extraordinary circumstances'. However, there have been a few cases which have suggested that weather related delays are not automatically extraordinary, but rather the airline should have plans in place to address the situation. If you can establish this, you will be entitled to compensation and your money back. I would start by writing a recorded delivery letter to Easyjet at their Head Office in Luton (Easyland, Luton, Beds). You can also complain on their website, although you do often get "stock" responses via this source. In your letter, evidence your claim. Cite the BA flights which continued and state specifically that you do not feel that the fog represented "extraordinary" circumstances. Low cost airlines often cancel a flight if the delay will be too big not for "weather" reasons but for operational convenience. Under these circumstances they are obligated to pay compensation under the EU rules, and reimburse you food and hotel costs, etc. You should go to small claims court if you don't get a response. They often lose there, and you have a reasonable chance of winning if you can establish other airlines operated.

Incidently, this posting is in the wrong thread. Moderator: You may wish to move this.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:09 PM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
Kind regards, Alison
Alison. In case you didn't notice this thread was started in December of 2007 (over a year ago) and the original poster hasn't been back on the site since. I highly doubt you will receive an answer to your inquiry directed to the OP.

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
I have reported several of these "mis-posts" to the moderator. Apparently he could give a rats ass because nothing is ever done about it. They remain in the wrong section. Also the homepage states "If we receive 10 complaints about an airline, we will create a specific section for it above." I'm sure EasyJet as had at least 10 complaints by now!
Old Feb 9, 2009, 12:38 AM

I didn't notice the date myself, or I would never have posted. I also pointed out to the Mod that some airlines had way more than 10 (JetBlue for example) and the very next day JetBlue had their own thread!! However, not sure that the Mod has much time to be very active on this site.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:04 AM
alsie989 alsie989 is offline

Join Date: Dec 2007

Yes indeed we took on easyjet and won!! It took us around 4 months till it wa concluded and reams of e-mails. We have flown easy-jet a few times more since with no problems. Unfortunatly for us timing and prices make it the only company that we can realy use. With budget airlines you have to be prepared to stand your ground. They will try to make an extra few pounds out of you at every turn and the staff are realy efficient at doing just this.

We now have a certain amount of affection for easyjet - they do have some staff that are very professional and sympathetic - most of our journeys go unhindered (usualy when im flying) but there are always the flawed parts for example a carry on suitcase that we could fly as hand luggage from Edinburgh to Gatwick but not from Gatwick to Sofia.

I realize that my original post is over a year old now and im not quite sure if airlines take heed of what is written here or if it is just a way for us weary passengers to vent our anger. At the moment on booking I can get my 4 flights needed for 160 all in - my other alternative is "wizz air" another budget airline that I have no knowledge off. Other investigations have had me jet4u -- Edinburgh to Prague but getting connecting flights to Sofia have always been the part that the routes have fell down on . Easyjet now fly from Manchester to Sofia but if you take into account the petrol and time from Edinburgh to Manchester it is actualy cheaper to fly to Gatwick.

I have a huge list of cut price travel companys bookmarked but none of them come close to researching your own trip and simply getting on with it bearing in mind you only get what you pay for.

Alan G
Old Feb 9, 2009, 3:36 PM
Jetliner Jetliner is offline

Join Date: May 2008

For Trigger - sounds like there's more to this than maybe you understand. I seriously doubt the pilot just said "I'm not going to take them because I just don't have time."

I know that some airlines in the EU have a restriction on the total number of disabled passengers that can fly on one flight for safety reasons. I'm wondering if that was the case here, and keep in mind that disabled does not necessarily mean in a wheelchair. And if the ground crew made and error and had more than the limit of disabled passengers, then it's possible the pilot might have let them have it. It's possible that your mother misunderstood what was happening. As for unloading the bags, that is simply a security regulation throughout Europe - if the passenger does not board, the bags cannot fly.

Baggage Problems How Continental Airlines almost ruined my vacation brandonc1 Baggage Problems 7 Dec 10, 2009 6:47 PM
Ruined our luggage - won't issue refund laurheis Southwest Airlines Complaints 1 Dec 23, 2007 6:25 PM
British Airways: GB Airways sale to Easyjet iainf2806 Executive Club / Premier Complaints 0 Dec 10, 2007 10:54 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Ruined vacation to Costa Rica hpbjlilly American Airlines Complaints 1 Apr 27, 2007 1:48 AM
Baggage Problems Luggage lost, returned 20 hours later damaged and ruined lostluggage United Airlines Complaints 0 Mar 17, 2007 4:18 AM