Check-in / Boarding
COMPLAINT: Transit visa missing - denied boarding

Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:34 AM

Hi.
So this is my case:
Initially I have purchased online (on lufthansa.com) a round-trip ticket from Chisinau (KIV) to Minneapolis (MSP), with layovers in Munich (MUC) and Toronto (YYZ). I am a Romanian citizen.
On the date of the flight, while attempting to check in, my boarding was denied because I didn't have a Canadian visa, a transit visa. I never knew that I might need a visa even if I have a connecting flight, in the same terminal.
I called local Lufthansa representative in Chisinau, they told me that the only way not to lose my booking is to rebook it ASAP, for a fee (EUR 130) + price difference (EUR 142). I had to do this until the boarding ended.
My complaint resides in the fact that I wasn't ever informed that I need a transit visa for my trip - even if I have provided info about my passport, so Lufthansa knew my citizenship and could inform me that I need a transit visa.
I am looking for a refund of the amount of my expenses related to rebooking. That would be a great way to solve this dispute.
I have contacted Lufthansa online support before and it took a month to get a response. They gave me a reference to "General Conditions of Carriage (Article 7.1.7.)". Which seems quite protectionist on behalf of the carrier.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:31 AM

According to the Canadian website you would have been allowed to travel if you had the documentation you had. Apparently luftansa set up their software incorrectly. But a caveat, when travelling internationally you should have verified what you needed prior to checking in. Caveat Emptor.

Note: Until September 29, 2016, travellers who do not have an eTA can board their flight, as long as they have appropriate travel documents, such as a valid passport. During this leniency period, border services officers can let travellers arriving without an eTA into the country, as long as they meet the other requirements to enter Canada. Find answers to your questions about the leniency period.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:32 PM
Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Originally Posted by ncitizen View Post
Hi.
So this is my case:
Initially I have purchased online (on lufthansa.com) a round-trip ticket from Chisinau (KIV) to Minneapolis (MSP), with layovers in Munich (MUC) and Toronto (YYZ). I am a Romanian citizen.
On the date of the flight, while attempting to check in, my boarding was denied because I didn't have a Canadian visa, a transit visa. I never knew that I might need a visa even if I have a connecting flight, in the same terminal.
I called local Lufthansa representative in Chisinau, they told me that the only way not to lose my booking is to rebook it ASAP, for a fee (EUR 130) + price difference (EUR 142). I had to do this until the boarding ended.
My complaint resides in the fact that I wasn't ever informed that I need a transit visa for my trip - even if I have provided info about my passport, so Lufthansa knew my citizenship and could inform me that I need a transit visa.
I am looking for a refund of the amount of my expenses related to rebooking. That would be a great way to solve this dispute.
I have contacted Lufthansa online support before and it took a month to get a response. They gave me a reference to "General Conditions of Carriage (Article 7.1.7.)". Which seems quite protectionist on behalf of the carrier.
It is not the airline's responsibility to tell you what you need, you should be proactive and researching what you need.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:08 PM

A320 FAN = Captain Obvoius or maybe Captain Repeat or Captain Pile on or Captain Late Hit
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sidewaysrob View Post
A320 FAN = Captain Obvoius or maybe Captain Repeat or Captain Pile on or Captain Late Hit
Someone who knows nothing about anything = Sidewaysrob ......
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:11 PM

Yay I got the troll angry!!!!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sidewaysrob View Post
Yay I got the troll angry!!!!
Yes you are a troll we agree on something. You also one of the dumbest people I have seen typing something. Do you yet realize how many different passports, and situations, and versions of residency cards and other things are out there. You should go back into you coffin and sleep.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:06 PM

ANNNNNND A320fan still doesn't get it.

You repeated what Phinu posted before you,

and just for fun I just Troll Trolls, Troll

I wonder if I can build a semi valid sentence where I use Troll four times in a row?