In-flight Issues

Did you experience any problems during an Continental Airlines flight?

In-flight Issue
New Food System

Old Nov 1, 2010, 2:23 AM

Continental now has a new food system where you have to pay for food if you want it.

I was unfortunate enough to fly on the very first day of this new system, (10/24/2010). The menu has a cheeseburger and a few snacks that aren't worth anything. By the time they got to me they had not only run out of the cheeseburgers, but out of almost everything. I was told that they had run out of cheeseburgers in the first few rows of the plane.
Today, (10/31/2010) I was on a large wide-body plane, that had 240 people in the coach section of the plane. I was in the very last row of the plane, so I expected that they would run out of the main meal (cheeseburgers) before they got to me. This was indeed the case. I complained to the server and he said that they had run out "Way up front". When I was getting off of the plane, I talked to the service manager and he admitted me to that they only had SIX cheeseburgers for the ENTIRE 240 people in coach! This is IRRESPONSIBLE! They should have had TEN TIMES that many!

I am not complaining about having to pay for the food. But, it would be more fair to the customer to not have ANY food than to advertise that they have food to sell and then not have anything available.

I have been a long time Continental customer, and have never had a complaint before. This new food system is the worst I have ever heard of.

Continental MUST do something about this. I will keep complaining about this until they get it right.

Keith Sproul
New Jersey
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Nov 1, 2010, 7:14 AM

It sounds to me like they have no clue how many meals they are likely to sell.. it will probably take a few months before they get the loading right. Once they start selling meals, the service deteriorates. It takes ages to get fed if yo.u get fed at all, because each transaction takes about 10 times longer. You are far better eating before hand or bringing your own.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 2:55 PM

I flew again on 12/1 on a 777, with 240 people in coach. They, again, had ONLY FOUR of the cheeseburgers. I found out that they also had FOUR turkey sandwiches. This time I was half way back (row 25 instead of row 45), and they still ran out of cheeseburgers by the time they got to me. They also admitted that they ran out in the first 3 or 4 rows.

This is ridiculous.

Keith
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:28 PM
Former Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Hey Keith, next time you fly, stop at one of the concessions at the airport and get some burgers/sandwiches of your choice and take these on the aircraft, okay?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to mars6423

hey houstonflyer........how about tell your airline (im assuming its continental since they have a base in houston and i have read another post where you said you will pass something along) that maybe it is best to have adaquate supplies of food for a long haul flight (im guessing due to the only aircraft continental has that has 240 economy seats are the 777's and they are mainly for international long hall like EWR to tokyo) and having a few burgers and turkey sandwiches is just not logical and it shows that Continental is not living upto expectations

Yes we know that there is a issue with how much of what food to get, but to have those little supplies of highly demanded foods is just bad business by continental

and if the ticket says meal included then a meal should be included and the passengers shouldnt have to buy something before the flight unless they want to

dont tell people to go buy food before flights when its the airlines issue........last time i checked its pretty hard to have a burger on a flight that isnt prepared by the airline.....doesnt really work out too well and it gets cold by meal time
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:05 AM
Former Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Hey Mars. We are offering a free course "Punctuation for Dummies" at our offices at Newark and Singapore. Just go on line at www.icantpunctuate.com and apply. You will have to take a short qualifying test to show that you are a dummy, but I promise you will get through that with flying colors. Meals included but in accordance with our food policy, cheeseburgers may finish by the third or fourth row. So come early and make sure you get a front row seat if a cheeseburger is that important to you.

See you there.

Good lad!

Last edited by HoustonFlyer; Dec 7, 2010 at 1:09 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to mars6423

i never knew you had to be so professional on a blog lol sorry maybe next time i will write it like a report haha

at least you know your food policy sucks by admitting food that will be demanded by the passengers wont even come close to what is asked........ever heard of supply and demand? you can at least get a better ratio of happy and fed customers to unhappy hungry customers......but i guess the smart people like you haven't realized this yet, but i dont expect much from you or continental for that matter

oh sorry if im not being punctual lol i dont feel the need to when its not work related
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:23 PM

This is why I always stop by a concession stand and buy my own. I don't want to take a chance on being on a six or seven hour flight and all the have is a package of cheese crackers. I also pick up a bottle of water, so I'm set. Lots of people do this.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 5:24 AM

It is really latest news of new food system... thanks for sharing..!!
Old May 29, 2012, 4:30 PM

It is very nice form