COMPLAINT: Dont check your carry-on

Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:34 PM
CosmicBlues CosmicBlues is offline

Join Date: Oct 2018

In October 2018 we had a most upsetting and offensive experience in the Alitalia flight from Rome to Paris. While waiting at the gate, an employee of Alitalia brusquely and without warning placed a tag on my wife's bag and said that we would have to check our carry-ons "because the flight was full." He did not question whether our carry-ons conform to size and weight regulations --which they did conform. My wife and I objected explaining that since we had to make a connecting flight, there would not be time to wait for our bags to be unloaded. The agent then was confrontational and stated "we have to check them in." He then made the following misleading and false statements: "The baggage claim in Paris is very near the gate and you will not have to wait for your bags;" "Your connecting flight is just next door to Alitalia. You will have plenty of time." In fact out US flight was from Terminal 1 and we landed in Terminal 2, a good 15 minutes away.
When on board we were immediately notified of a 50 minute delay of our departure. My wife and I felt physically sick during the entire agonizing flight realizing that since the Alitalia agent had tricked us by checking our carry-on bags, we were now going to miss our return flight to the US.
Also alarming: the agent did not require all carry-ons to be checked. Based on language, it was obvious that he made this demand of all non- Italian speakers--English, Spanish, and persons of oriental identity. Two Italian passengers were also allowed to bring very large skateboards on board. Just one of these skateboards would have taken the space for both my wife and my carry-ons. Clearly this was passenger discrimination.
The result of this fiasco: Because we had to wait another 40 minutes to claim our luggage that the agent had confiscated from us against our stated wishes, we missed our flight. The damages inflicted on us by Alitalia cost us over $2500 in a delay of 36 hours and having to repurchase overseas tickets. AVOID this bumbling incompetent airline.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dont Fly Allegiant Air! ryan93004 Allegiant Air Complaints 6 Nov 11, 2012 10:56 PM
Dont' ever fly Turkish Airlines angelboy Turkish Airlines Complaints 0 Sep 24, 2012 9:35 AM
Baggage Problems Stolen lens out of my forced check in carry on yy89 United Airlines Complaints 0 Sep 13, 2012 12:39 AM
Customer Service deploying and they dont care AAscrewedAsoldier American Airlines Complaints 4 Oct 30, 2008 8:04 PM