Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:52 AM
gwatney gwatney is offline

Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Unbelievable fuel surcharge

My complaint is about the way that Delta has abused the "fuel surcharge." Our church group booked a group fare in March for flight in October $446. The final payment and names did not have to be added until September 3. I was well aware that surcharges could be added. However, when I went to inquire as to what the curent charge for the tickets was, I was told that they had added over $330 in surcharges, effectively doubling the ticket price. I was expecting an increase, but nothing nearly so exorbitant as that. There was no communication whatsoever from the airline concerning the possibility of that kind of increase. As a matter of fact, there was no comminication at all. As I told them, they may as well have told us, " We will hold 14 seats for you, and when you are ready to book, we will tell you the price." I understand the difficulties that the airlines are facing, but it is not right to have a few passengers have to pay for the fuel for the rest of the passnegers that are booked. As a matter of fact, Delta is running an online price fo $560 presently for the exact same ticket. Yet, they want us to pay $760 while offering some passenger $200 less. If the surcharge is to help pay for the fuel, then why are passengers allowed to book after us, and get a $200 break? Shouldn't they also be paying for the fuel? I am also aware that this will get us nowhere, but something should be done to prevent the airlines from charging something just because they can.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 6:56 AM
Silent Bob Silent Bob is offline

Location: NY NY

You need to check the fine print on those online prices. Sometimes the cost you see does not include surcharges (which may have bumped the cost about equal to the fare you paid.) Also if that was the final cost, you should find out if Delta will give you a fare difference on if you find a lower rate.

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Unbelievable Treatment disturbingfurniture Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked 1 Jul 8, 2008 11:44 PM