Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:39 PM
spiritedflyer spiritedflyer is offline

Join Date: Oct 2011
Angry Online Check-in denied as Spirit demands illegal fees for ticket bought at counter

I bought RT tickets for two at the airport. Weeks later, when I attempted online check-in, the system had an error message that I had to contact an agent. When I called customer service, I was told I would have to pay additional fees to Spirit to release the hold on my tickets. Even though I paid in full at the counter and had the receipts. Spirit wasted over 40 minutes time on the phone demanding these fees, and an e-mail to customer service had no response yet.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 1:09 PM
Ombudsman Ombudsman is offline

Join Date: Feb 2011

Spirit charges a fee for everything. It is their business model. Customer service is their lowest priority. Also, there is nothing illegal about their fee practices.
Contributing editor to one of the largest travel blogs on the internet.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:40 AM
spiritedflyer spiritedflyer is offline

Join Date: Oct 2011
Default Spirit hold for 'passenger user fee' of airport counter agent ticket illegal

I respectfully disagree with the ombudsman, Spirit made a deal with the government not to have to include these fees included in their fare quotes because there was a technical way around them. Consumers could go to the airport counter to purchase instead of using the on-line reservation system. I did just that. The agent sold me the ticket, and never charged the fee. But when I attempted check-in, I was told there was a hold on the tickets until I paid up. We were eventually permitted to board without making the payment, but not without Spirit stealing almost an hour of time between various phone calls.

Reservations Spirit demanding illegal usage fees EVEN if purchased at the counter spiritedflyer Spirit Airlines Complaints 0 Oct 24, 2011 6:28 PM
Reservations Changing a business class ticket bought with points juldan British Airways Complaints 0 Feb 11, 2011 3:33 PM
Check-in / Boarding Not allowed to go to the check-in counter due to 5 min. Ricki Delta Air Lines Complaints 7 Apr 17, 2009 12:21 AM
Customer Service Check-in counter not helping at all. sukilar Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 4 Apr 3, 2009 5:34 PM