COMPLAINT: airport check-in fee

Old Dec 25, 2016, 1:25 AM

Join Date: Dec 2016

I visited Spain this month for the first time. I boarded a Ryanair flight for the first time from Sevilla to Barcelona. Upon checking in, the lady at the desk told me that since I did not check-in online before my flight, then I would be charged an 'airport check-in fee' of 45 euros (49.5 euros including tax). She showed me on my online booking the mention of the necessity to check-in online at least 2 hrs before the flight. This was the first time this happens to me in all my years of flying, and upon research, few other airlines even have this fee, let alone such a high fee. I had also seen that the check-in fee was cut down by Ryanair in recent years, closer to 15 GBP. I paid the 49.5 euro fee and boarded the flight.

1- I found it shocking that a fee close to the ticket price itself would be charged for the few minutes of the check-in process. I would have understood if it was around 5-10 euros, but this fee felt like a violation to me and was a case of price gouging.

2- I also witnessed two travellers from Hong Kong go through exactly the same experience on the same flight right after I paid the fee, and we agreed that it was unacceptable.

3- First-time travellers would be lucky to know about this fee before boarding despite the mention to check-in online on the flight confirmation email, since fees with this name generally are not part of the consciousness of the global travel community.

Ryanair responded simply by saying the fee was part of its terms and conditions.

After that, I responded saying that I did not have any of this information before I went to the airport. I said that I still found this exorbitant fee unjust and that I was sure I wouldn't be the last of the first-time customers to experience this.

They responded by repeating it was part of their terms and conditions, and that an email was sent to us before the flight to check-in online to avoid penalty fees (it was sent, but I didn't open; such pre-flight emails are always sent to us).

I found this response to be dismissive, apathetic and unfulfilling. I do not expect any further action on this regard as the issue is resolved; however I am not happy with the resolution itself and have opted to post my experience here.

Old Dec 28, 2016, 6:55 PM
Gerty Gerty is offline

Location: New York

Yeah, no frills airlines like Ryanair really need to be manipulated. People who fly them often know how to actually get from point A to B with less than 20 euros, but foreigners and new flyers usually end up paying the same amount or even more than if they would be flying with a traditional airline.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:41 PM

Join Date: Dec 2016

yeah right on Gerty, noted. Thanks mate.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:41 AM
aliasghar aliasghar is offline

Join Date: Mar 2018

They sent me an email 2 days before the flight only in "Spanish" saying that I need to check in online. since I couldn't understand Spanish, I didn't do online check-in and I noticed it at the airport. According to Ryanair rules, the online check-in should be open until "2 hours before the flight" but surprisingly when 2.5 hours before the flight I tried to check-in online I noticed that they have closed the online check-in!!!!! As I went to their desk to solve it, the employee made it too late till we reach to less than 2 hours to flight and then with an insulting language she asked me or pay 50 euros or lose my flight!!!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:54 PM

aliasghar,

wow. im really sorry this happened to you. in light of your comment, I spoke with a friend who is familiar with ryanair and other airlines and basically I understood that the ryanair will continue to be stubborn jerks, with angry donuts at the counter, like the jackass whom you encountered. really sorry this happened with you. i wish we could make them pay somehow. seems they rely on travellers outside Europe who don't know their specific rules for extra revenue..it's reprehensible honestly and honestly mass consumer complaints can change their behavior as it would then be costly not to adhere to our concerns. people who use ryanair regularly would have been used to their rules and won't be ruffling their feathers unfortunately.

fair to say that for them in particular, check in online and print the boarding pass at the hotel/office/house before you reach the airport. the check-in luggage fee they take is already more than enough on us..
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:19 AM
aliasghar aliasghar is offline

Join Date: Mar 2018

Anyway, it was my first and definitely last time I traveled with Ryanair!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:50 AM

Join Date: Dec 2016

definitely aliasghar, for sure! totally understandable!

Check-in / Boarding Incompetent Check-in Lufthansa Staff at New Delhi airport. schwdhry Lufthansa Complaints 0 Dec 9, 2011 4:25 PM
Check-in / Boarding Very rude check-in staff at Calgary Airport HKLau Air Canada Complaints 1 Aug 29, 2008 8:33 PM