COMPLAINT: bait and switch tactics

Old Jul 3, 2016, 1:21 PM
Craig Craig is offline

Join Date: Jul 2016

Flight Number 157 Denver to Dallas on American Airlines on June 13th,2016

Briefly: I bought a round trip ticket from Fort Myers, Florida to Denver. I paid a lot more money to upgrade to a flight with a specific time frame and a minimal layover so that I could meet my appointments and transportation schedules even with a small delay. American Airlines cancelled my return flight via recorded message left on my cell phone voice mail in the middle of the night on the morning of my flight. No information was given on how to get another flight or who to contact for more information.

When I arrived at the airport, AA ticket counter had no information except that it was cancelled and that they had NO flights out anytime that day. They refused to help me get a flight with another airline or help in any other way. They merely stated that I would have to contact AA.com to figure this out. Otherwise, I would need to search other airlines for a flight. I had to refuse to just go away. After a standoff, he found me a flight and said it was leaving soon. Soon was a key word as I had to hurry through TSA as fast as possible and run all the way to my gate as they kept announcing my name for final boarding.

Attendants took my bag from me stating that there was no room left for my carryon. i stated I had medication in the bag and they stated there was no time and the bag would be there upon my arrival. Okay, not a big deal except it wasn't.

I flew to Philadelphia and was told by AA customer service that I could not have my bag even though my meds were in there. That and I was now stuck with a multi-hour layover with only a wallet and dead cell-phone. Again, I was told my only recourse for help was AA.com. Fortunately, other customers in line heard the exchange between myself and the AA rep and provided more help than AA did. They charged my phone and offered other help while I was stranded. However, I did not make my scheduled appointment in Fort Myers upon my return.

When I finally made it home, I did contact AA. I got the cold, big corporation fake apology and that was it until I kept emailing. I wanted to speak to a representative, but she (Ms Arac) ignored the request for some time. They did finally send me a voucher for a future flight, which I expressly stated was not appropriate since that just means they will give me a discount if I spend more money with them in the future. I will not fly with these people again, so they have given me nothing. I want my flight refunded. Ms Arac finally did call, but only to state I would not get anything else from American Airlines other than the standard voucher and that she had the final say because she speaks for the "Executive Board". No escalation of the complaint is possible. No speaking with a supervisor. AA gives you one person with the power to decide and the standard policy of no refunds no matter what. The idea of my missed appointment, no medication, the extra cost for my scheduled flight versus they one they switched me to was all standard flight experience according to Ms Arac, the American Airlines representative.

I will continue to post on every social media outlet and continue to call and write until someone at American Airlines refunds me for the extra money they took from me when the switched my flights.

I would love to join a class action lawsuit against American Airlines for fraudulent practices. They sell you an expensive ticket and then switch it for a much cheaper spot on another plane so that they can fill up their aircraft.

Has anyone noticed that American Airlines has multiple numbers for buying, upgrading and anything else that has to do with spending your money. But, they have NO number to call if you have a problem, complaint, or need help?

american airlines, customer service, fraudulant

Reservations Bait and Switch Richard1366 AAdvantage Complaints 3 Oct 20, 2016 8:35 PM
Reservations Bait and Switch BobTuba Delta Air Lines Complaints 11 Oct 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Reservations Another bait and switch, Flt 660 & 667 LoriB American Airlines Complaints 4 Aug 1, 2012 8:56 PM
AA Bait-and-Switch Dick Arentz AAdvantage Complaints 7 Oct 18, 2011 8:15 PM
Reservations bait and switch stan333 United Airlines Complaints 0 Mar 24, 2011 4:17 PM