Old Aug 15, 2011, 4:07 AM
bajohns418 bajohns418 is offline

Join Date: Aug 2011
Angry Southwest Owns Airtran's Poor Cust Service

Southwest Air has bought Airtran. It makes me wonder if Southwest's customer service is going to become as poor as Airtran's. The following is an example of the kind of company Southwest now owns.

After talking to an Airtran customer service person on the phone, I was told she could not help with my problem; however she encouraged me to write to customer service for assistance, which I did (see letter below). Two days after I sent the letter of complaint I got their response that was nothing more than a nicely worded letter that could have just said, We don't care",.

I encourage you to consider Airtran's poor customer service and deceptive voucher policy in making your future travel plans.. Airtran doesn't have your back; and since Southwest isn't doing anything to correct Airtran's poor service, I have to believe Southwest is no better.

--- Original Message ---

From:

Received: 8/10/11 11:25:34 AM EDT

To:

Subject: Other

COMMENTS In January 2011 my suitcase was torn open on an Airtran flight to Orlando|. I brought my suitcase to the customer service counter in Orlando due to the damage and several hundred dollars of medications that had been lost through the hole'. The customer service representative said I could either go buy a new suitcase, then return the receipt to Airtran for reimbursement, or she would give use 2 tickets for a flight anywhere Airtran flies'. She said nothing about the blackout date or capacity restrictions as stated on the back of the card she gave me. I didn't even realize that there was writing on the back of the card until weeks later. As I had never received such a flight voucher before, I twice called Airtran to confirm that the offer was legitimate. Both times I was told that it was but that blackout dates applied. They said nothing about capacity restrictions and I was assured that blackouts shouldn't be a problem in February. As such, I booked and paid deposit fees on our condo rentals for our 2012 vacation confident that the flight dates that I wanted would be honored by Airtran. I called Airtran today to book the flights using conformation # ------ for a round trip for two leaving from MSP to MCO on February 11, 2012 and returning from MCO to MSP on February 25,2012. I was told that neither of these dates are available due to capacity restrictions. It is simply not acceptable that after three contacts with Airtran customer service persons, I was not informed that this capacity restriction could not only cause a selected flight to not be available; but cause a 5 day span before any flight is available. The customer service representative that I talked to today told me to contact you and ask that you address this issue by either crediting me cash for my voucher, for which I can then purchase the tickets, or by simply allowing my voucher to be used towards a flight on the desired travel days. I cannot wait to see if flights open up closer to the flight dates as the balance of the condo deposits have to be paid 60 days prior to arrival. If you will make an exception and allow my conformation number to be used at this time, my preferred flights are 215/672 on February 11, and 1438 on February 25.Obviously, I would also be appreciative of receiving other flight times on the above dates if that was all that was available.

Sincerely;

Bruce Johnson

Detroit Lakes MN

Airtran"s Lame response below:

Dear Mr. Johnson,

Thank you for contacting AirTran Airways with interest in future travel. On behalf of AirTran Airways, I regret to learn of any frustration you have experienced in your attempt to redeem the compensation.

Certificate travel is subject to blackout dates and availability. There are a limited number of seats reserved for certificate travel on each flight. Once these special seats are full, the remaining seats are utilized for revenue passengers. The flight availability shown online reflects open seats for revenue passengers, not certificate travel. Your understanding in this matter is appreciated.

Please reconsider your travel dates and contact us again to book future travel. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you on a future AirTran Airways flight.

Sincerely,

Cedric Lancaster

Customer Relations Department

AirTran Airways

38d60

ee027

Customer Service Poor all round service - from check-in to in-flight service rgray United Airlines Complaints 1 Jun 17, 2010 7:01 AM
Baggage Problems Very Poor Service David McCarty Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 7 Oct 1, 2009 10:57 PM
Customer Service Poor Service Jakester1010 American Airlines Complaints 0 Aug 1, 2007 9:05 PM