COMPLAINT: Turkish airlines-denied boarding,fees incurred and thrown around like cannon ball

Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:27 AM
sidabu sidabu is offline

Join Date: Jul 2013

My account below of undoubtedly the worst travel experience ever!
I was wait listed for TK60 on July 6 115am flight I went to the airport at 9pm July 5th as I had to attend an important meeting in KL.(incidentally I had a confirmed seat on TK8000 July 6th 1510pm) I was told by the stand-by counter staff (row A) to wait as they couldn't check the system yet for any seat availability, I went back at around 1030pm and the counter staff (male wearing oval spectacles) informed me there's a seat available however I must pay the fare difference first at the airline ticketing counter which I proceeded to do. The process involved a token ,await your turn,payment which took over half an hour.I paid 571 TL and when i went back to the counter the male staff was replaced by a lady.She informed me that there's no seat and I'd have to wait till midnight till she could tell me otherwise. Aghast at her reply, I asked if I could speak to her superior,she directed me to the supervisor counter on Row B. There I was informed that I can't get on the wait listed flight as it was overbooked and I was also informed that my confirmed seat on TK8000 was NO longer available! HOW CAN YOU CANCEL A CONFIRMED SEAT IF YOU DON'T OFFER AN EARLIER REQUEST. Shocked and Disappointed. The counter staff( two ladies) point blank said there's nothing they can do and asked me to go back to the ticketing counter.I refused to leave and asked to speak to their duty manager,it was a lady who showed up reluctantly but she heard me out and said will speak to the ticketing counter staff and asked me to wait at counter B. 20 minutes later she came back and said ticketing staff have agreed to re-issue a ticket for me to travel on the 8th of July! I was flabbergasted and asked her what about my seat on TK8000 on the 6th July,she said it was impossible to get that seat. I further pressed what right mind would cancel my confirmed seat if they couldn't get me a seat on the wait listed flight.She just shrugged her shoulders and said she only committed to getting me on the next available flight without any further payment and my only option was to take it or leave it. I followed her to the ticketing counter, I spoke to two men, one claimed he is the supervisor and I reiterated to him why cancel my confirmed seat if they couldn't offer me the wait listed flight. After much deliberation , he said he'll try to get me back on TK8000 and asked I pay an additional 10 Euro. I got a print out highlighting my confirmed seat for TK8000 July 6th 1510pm.By this time it was past 2am and relieved that I had a confirmed flight out I proceeded downstairs ,booked a hotel.
On july 6th 1 PM, I got to the check in counter for TK 8000 where I was informed that I AM NOT ON THAT FLIGHT! I showed the counter staff my print out from ticketing counter which I obtained only several hours ago , I was informed duly that I was not on the system and there's nothing they can do and asked me to wait to see if there were any no show passenger. I pleaded with them to no avail, they called the malaysian airlines airport manager ,who in turn said there's nothing he can do citing an overbooked flight! Unless there's a no show they said I can't board the flight. I was denied. I then proceeded to the the ticket counter, I spoke to Favier ? he checked the system said I am indeed confirmed for TK8000 and asked ME why I was denied.He then asked me to fetch the counter staff who refused me, I went back,they weren't there.(WOULDN'T IT BE EASIER TO CALL THEM?) Returned to favier, he said there's nothing he can do.
Exasperated,helpless and hopeless, I went to the ticket agent and bought a new ticket out on Emirates. I have all the receipts , paperwork etc. I am a professional, a doctor and NEVER have experienced such unprofessional service,attitude and disgrace. I will seek every avenue possible to set right this travesty. It must not happen to anybody. EVER! --

Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:37 AM

That really is disgraceful treatment... it will be interesting to see if any of the "airline sympathsizers" could defend your treatment by staff who appear to have learned well the "shrug of the shoulders" and leaving the passenger stranded. You should sue in small claims court if you have such a system...
Old Jul 8, 2013, 6:39 PM
Der Richter Der Richter is offline

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Berlin, Germany

Originally Posted by sidabu View Post
Isn't it kind of obvious that when you purchase a ticket on an earlier flight and only pay the fare difference that there is also a credit from your now cancelled later flight being applied?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:50 PM

I think you might be missing the point... why charge a customer extra, take away a confirmed reservation and replace with a standby ticket? I am a frequent traveller and if an airline told me there was a seat available and to pay the difference and they could get me on it, am I supposed to assume they were lying?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 3:54 PM
stonecold_1981 stonecold_1981 is offline

Join Date: Feb 2011

agreed. Der Richter - you completely missed the point. The OP paid for the earlier flight (assuming he's getting a confirmed ticket). The airline, at-first didn't honor the offer (after money was paid), and further, cancelled the existing reservation.

I have flown stand-by many times. Each time, the current reservation is cancelled only AFTER the new, stand-by reservation is CONFIRMED.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 1:16 PM
Der Richter Der Richter is offline

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Berlin, Germany

Originally Posted by stonecold_1981 View Post

Please contact Southwest airlines immediately and inform them that their policies and procedures are not in compliance with those mandated by your experiences with other airlines. I expect this change to be implemented within 24 hours.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 2:23 PM

What have Southwest got to do with this thread? You been messing with some funny stuff in one of those famous Berlin "clubs" Der Richter?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:34 PM
Paola Blanton Paola Blanton is offline

Join Date: Aug 2015

I just took a Turkish Airlines night flight from Heathrow through Ataturk on my way to Bulgaria. Arriving in Ataturk around 4 AM, I waited for the gate indication for the 7:30 flight to Bulgaria. Around 5:30 AM, it opened, so I went to the gate and showed the pair of TK employees my boarding pass and sat down right in the front row of the departure lounge. I always like to check in with the ground staff at the boarding gate as an extra measure of security. Most of the time, they are really nice.
Well, exhaustion took over and I slumped in my chair, jerking awake to see the bus leaving for the plane and the big red letters CLOSED. I jumped to the desk and asked the man why he did not call me or wake me up, when he well knew I was on that flight. He simply smirked and said “Not my responsibility”.
Shocked, I asked him what I should do, but he was determined to brush me off, simply saying “try going upstairs to the transfer desk.”
Well, that set off a chain of absurdity the likes of which I’ve never seen in my life. It seemed that every employee, either of Ataturk Airport or of Turkish Airlines, ranged from nonchalant to downright belligerent. I was sent on a wild goose chase from desk to desk to desk, with practically everyone having the “not my responsibility” attitude. There was no solution at the “transfer desk”, and they kept sending me to other desks in what began to feel like some kind of absurd hazing ritual.
Finally, after running the gauntlet several times, I was informed that I would have to clear immigration to get to the Turkish Airlines sales desk in the airport. Supposedly that was the only path to a solution for my problem. I stood in line for over an hour to get stamped, but was told “You need a Turkish visa.” Incredulous, on my way to the visa desk, I asked the same information clerk why he didn’t tell me that I needed a visa, and he (I am not making this up) told me “You didn’t ask. It’s not my responsibility to think for you.”
At this point, I was choking back tears. I just couldn’t believe it. I got back into line after paying 20 pounds for a visa and about an hour later finally got to the Turkish Airlines sales desk. The clerk informed me that it was “not Turkish Arilines’ problem” that I was not notified of the boarding and that I would have to pay an additional 265 euros in order to be able to board the next available flight, which was twelve hours later. I thought that was extremely unfair, given that I was at the gate on time and had identified myself to the ground staff. I thought I had the right to be informed of the flight leaving and woken up – I was RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM! Nothing I said to them was received with any amount of comprehension, compassion, or understanding. They said that if I didn’t like their solution, I could go to their “supervisor’s desk” at counter B15.
At counter B15, I waited and waited until I finally got to talk to the extremely annoyed agent, who curtly informed me that she was “not authorized” to handle my request, and that I was welcome to call customer service at the help phone.
Frazzled, I went to the help phone pod, which was populated with other passengers just as beleaguered as myself. It was momentarily comforting to know that I wasn’t the only one being made to run the gauntlet that day, but I also got the sinking feeling that this type of thing was par for the course with Turkish Airlines. The lady on the help phone was the most helpful out of anyone I had spoken to in a now 5-hour drama, but even she was only able to “make a report”.
Long story short, I was forced to pay 178 euros to board the next flight, and when I got to Sofia that night, I saw that Turkish Airlines lost my luggage on top of everything.
This whole drama vastly complicates the fact that this weekend is my Orthodox engagement ceremony to my brazilian fiancé who is arriving to the Balkans tomorrow. The ceremony is Sunday, I still haven’t gotten my luggage, and my dress is in my lost bags.
I’ve called, written, and written to them to no avail. I spent the day in tears today – out extra money, exhausted, and trying to put on a happy face for all my arriving relatives, and with a growing rage at what I have been through. Today I was informed that Turkish Airlines WILL NOT deliver my lost luggage, so I am forced to pay another 100 euros in taxis to get to the airport in Sofia to retrieve my things.

istanbul airport, nightmare, tk 8000, turkish airlines

Check-in / Boarding denied boarding sarahanne Spirit Airlines Complaints 6 Dec 26, 2012 6:10 AM
Austrian Airlines Wrong Judgement Denied Boarding proven was a mistake mm7977 Austrian Airlines Complaints 19 Sep 2, 2011 6:21 PM
Check-in / Boarding Denied boarding ninimyers Spirit Airlines Complaints 6 Aug 14, 2011 6:49 PM
Check-in / Boarding Denied boarding anichkaah110 Spirit Airlines Complaints 0 Mar 3, 2011 3:09 AM
Check-in / Boarding Denied Boarding!! Sheridan30 Spirit Airlines Complaints 22 Nov 23, 2009 4:55 AM