Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:18 AM

Thumbs down Terrible Customer Relations

25th June 2013 My wife and I had booked a flight from Nassau The Bahamas to Toronto Canada via Newark Nj. The first leg of our trip was on flight #UA1462L at 1:10pm and arrived in Newark 4:19 pm. When we arrived in we decided to wait until 7:30pm to check in for the second leg of our journey only to find out that our flight #UA3874 was cancelled claiming to be due to weather. The solution by a customer service representative was to book us on a morning flight which threw the entire trip off because i had to make other arrangements to get to Kingston Ontario for the following morning. Also i had to pay for a hotel room in Newark Nj. For that night that i had not anticipated. The cost was $100.
The following morning we were scheduled on flight UA3860 to leave Newark 9:19am, we got to the airport to catch an earlier flight UA3873y scheduled to leave 7:16am and arrive in Toronto at 9:00am. The attendant called baggage services to get our bag ready for the earlier flight because of us being international travelers we have to be booked with our bag. When we got in Toronto we still had to wait until the next flight 11:00 am for our bag.
Due to our previos transportaion change there was another unanticipated cost catching a bus from Toronto to Kingston totaling $133.50 U S. Returning to Newark NJ on the 30th of June we were scheduled to leave Toronto on UA3270t 8:58pm. This flight was delayed a few hours and the check in agent at the counter told us it would be in our best interest to let him book us on Air Canada to La Guardia and he would make a note on the resesvation to arrange transportation to Newark airport. We were sceduled to leave at 8:35pm. This flight did not leave until 12am. By the time as we got into Laguardia it was around 1am. We had to search for transportation on our own which costed us $120.00. We did not get a hotel in this instance because we had already overspent our trips' budget due to cancellations the whole vacation. Our journey ended today at 2:00 when we landed home in Nassau Bahamas on UA1458t. I am left with a few questions. Is this how disappointing
it is to travel on all airlines? Or is this just isolated to United Airlines? It is not fair that customers have to absorb these costs of airline problems. Can i get re compensated for these expenses absorbed and for the spoilage of a good vacation?

Last edited by Devon; Jul 2, 2013 at 3:20 AM. Reason: wrong date
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:37 AM

Because there is a total lack of protection, you have few rights. The flight cancellation was due to weather, so any costs associated with that are not covered in the US. That means you will not be compensated for the hotel, nor any additional costs for the bus etc.

On the return, you might have more luck. If the delay to the Air Canada flight was not due to weather, you may have a case for claiming the cost back of the transportation, especially if this was put on your reservation. You should write to United and claim this back, enclosing copies of the receipts. You should copy this to the DOT, there is alink to the DOT in the links section of this website.

State in your letter that you are seeking cash reimbursement for the cost of the transport between LaGuardia and Newark, not a voucher against future travel.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:54 PM

If the flight from Newark to Toronto was cancelled, you are entitled to a refund regardless of the reason for the cancellation. However, it will be the difference between the Nassau to Newark fare and the Nassau to Toronto fare, so there probably won't be much refund. If the Nassau to Newark fare is actually higher than the Nassau to Toronto fare, you won't get any refund. Go to www.united.com and in the upper right hand corner click on "customer care". Be specific and concise about what you want, mentioning the refund for the cancelled flight. Be persistent, and good luck. Dealing with U.S. airlines is often an excercise in futility.

Last edited by azstar; Jul 2, 2013 at 5:56 PM.

More options...