COMPLAINT: dumped by BA

Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:47 AM

Join Date: Aug 2010

On a return flight to the UK from USA, I used the online checking in service, chose seats etc.
My 7 year old child and me arrived at the checking in desk 50 minutes before departure and were told that both my son and I could board the plane but they could not contemplate checking in my luggage at this late stage. I was told there was no provision for our luggage and as such it would have to be destroyed.
I begged, pleaded and went as far as going down on my knees but they refused to take our luggage.
To cut a long story the plane left without us.
However, staff informed me that because I was only a little late, they would let me take the next flight in 24 hours free of charge.
The next day I arrived with plenty time, checked in our luggage, got boarding passes, cleared security and sat patiently in the departure area waiting to board.
To my horror, as I joined the line to board the plane, a member of staff approached me and said “excuse me maame, but we forgot to tell you that you have to pay £350 for the change in flight and we can’t let u on the plane”
(I am a student nurse and was only able to make this journey through winning a competition)
He went on to tell me that my suitcases had been removed from the plane in case I couldn’t pay... I started to cry and several fellow passengers started to collect their own personal money to get me on the plane. Unfortunately they only raised £120 and the staff refused it.
To cut a long story this plane also left without us.
Although I had a BA ticket, I was told to place myself on standby with another airline and after flying almost all over USA, sleep deprivation, starvation, being asked to leave another plane.
My child and I arrived in the UK 4 days later.
This is the end of my story and I would appreciate any feedback. I am not a regular traveller and wondered if I have any rights.

Old Aug 23, 2010, 5:45 AM

This is the second posting where a customer of BA has been given a boarding card, checked in and goes through security and is waiting to board when BA suddenly announce that a payment is required before they can board. Clearly there is something wrong with BA's systems that this is allowed and they need to address it. As usual, we get the airlines total lack of compassion.

However, technically, I can see no redress for you. 50 minutes is far too short a time for an international flight and if you had read the tickets or website in relation to timings you will have seen this. It sounds like you are a very inexperienced traveller. I am afraid you will have to chalk this up to experience and know that next time you need to read the documentation and turn up in a timely manner. BA could possibly have just demanded you buy a whole new ticket, which would have cost even more.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:44 AM

Thanks your your reply..

my connecting flight was delayed (hence the time arrived to checkin)

(Airtran also contacted BA when my plane landed to inform them that i was on my way)

I understand you say there is a problem with their current system, boarding and taking money from pssengers, However as a consumer we have some rights.

My child and I should not have to suffer because of their problems.

How could they offer to take me but not my luggage? I regard this situation as BA refusing to allow us to board...

I may be inexperience in how airlines work...But i have common sense. and i dont think that you should give advice like this "put it down to experience" if we people dont complain about these companies they will continue to treat us this way.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:37 PM

Well, I was trying to be helpful, but you clearly don't think so...but the reason that they can take you and your child and not the luggage is simple. By the time you got to check in, it was 50 minutes. Let's say it took 5 minutes to process you as a late check in. Your luggage now has to go and be xrayed for security, and possibly hand checked by the TSA. Once this has been completed, the case then has to be separately handled to get it to the aircraft, because it is well beyond the normal cut off time for processing of the luggage. On international flights, the luggage also has to be matched to the customer on the manifest. The timelines were that this would have to occur in about 30 minutes for an on time push back.. and this is too tight a framework. Unless of course you wanted the whole flight to be delayed to accommodate you.

Processing the passenger is quite different. The passenger has to make their own way to the gate and get processed through security, independently of the airline. The obviously does not take up significant staff time, at a time when the staff are already busy preparing a flight for departure. This is especially so for a large aircraft on an international flight.

Had you booked a through ticket with BA, and the connecting leg was delayed, BA may have been able to be more accommodating. For example, allowing you board the flight and then bringing the delayed luggage on after you. They are not permitted to do this in the circumstances you describe because Airtran was not interlining the bags directly through.

The purpose of this website is to provide advice. I provided it. You can take it or leave it, I have no particular problem with that. However, you seem to have an entitlement attitude.

My child and I should not have to suffer because of their problems.
That is arrogant and obnoxious. BA had nothing whatsoever to do with AirTran being late and tried to accommodate you by allowing you to fly, but you would have to make alternative arrangements for your luggage (via FedEx or DHL for example). You declined that... so were then offered the next day's flight. I think they should have let you go through for free and it sounds like they intended to do so initially. However, they changed their mind and demanded payment after processing you. I suspect we might now know the reason why. You probably showed some of the obnoxious attitude you have revealed in your last post... and they decided to do you no favours. If that is the case, it is no more than you deserve. You sound like a precious little victim.

Last edited by jimworcs; Aug 23, 2010 at 1:40 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:16 PM

Join Date: Aug 2010

i have sought legal advice today......seems like i should have done that in the first place instead of posting on here.

Im sure you mean well........ But I would advice other people using this webpage to beware of the advice received..... Its obvious that you dont have any legal experience.

If i were you, i would stick to facebook and not set up sites like these..... very misleading to the public

I now have a lawyer who is taking up this case.

thanks anyway
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:02 PM
Gromit801 Gromit801 is offline

Let us know how things turn out. Most of the people on this board have far more experience in airline AND legal matters than you know.

I don't think you're going to be completely satisfied by your legal proceedings.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:17 AM
INTLGIRLY INTLGIRLY is offline

Join Date: Aug 2010

The poster admitted to being an inexperienced traveler and a little empathy would have been nice ... ESPECIALLY since she was traveling with a child .....we don't know how her ticket was booked (maybe it WAS all booked by one airline) and I agree that IF she was given a boarding pass and not asked for payment at that time then she should not have been asked for it later. Destroy luggage? are they kidding???
Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:19 AM

Originally Posted by niah View Post

I now have a lawyer who is taking up this case.

thanks anyway
Good choice. I'm sure you will do well with a legal rep on your side. All others, stand down as the airline will now be at the mercy of a lawyer. Well done and best of luck!!
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:36 AM

Good luck with that... I am sure your lawyer will scare the living daylights out of BA....
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:25 PM
INTLGIRLY INTLGIRLY is offline

Join Date: Aug 2010

Jim are you having a bad day? I hope it gets better
Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:05 PM

@ INtlGIRLY..

Thank for your support......... its true......some empathy would have been great....

@ gromit.... I dont doubt the knowlwdge you guys have and am gratful to have support..... Just that the posting from Jim was not correct advice..
Old Aug 24, 2010, 5:42 PM

Old Sep 13, 2010, 1:07 PM

Join Date: Dec 2009

I was thinking the same thing about hiring a lawyer and that whenever I had to pay BA's fee's in the US they always wanted to be paid in $'s and not £'s.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 1:18 PM

Join Date: Aug 2010

[quote=jimworcs;18344]Really? Which bit? You were LATE. BA has NO liability to you if you are late on a non refundable ticket. If your lawyer is tellling you different, you are being ripped off.

By the way, someone who can't afford to pay the extra charge and is willing to have other passengers have a whip round to pay for her, (bordering on begging) can suddenly afford to pay for a lawyer to fight a lost cause.....[/quote

are you thick????? check out the term legal aid.. and free legal advice....

The passengers whipped around because I had a child with me who was very distressed by the whole situation...

Not sure what your interest is..... but it sounze to me like your a very sad lonely person...... And i would strongly suggest you get out a bit more and try being nice..... you might be lucky and find some friends...
failing that..... you could always try MAtch.com
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:19 PM

are you thick????? check out the term legal aid.. and free legal advice....
Every so often someone responds in one of these postings with answers which are just such a gift. This response is embarrassing.

You will NOT get legal aid for this trivial dispute.

First of all, your damages are below the threshold for small claims court, therefore not eligible for legal aid.

Second, the dispute occurred in a country outside the EU therefore not eligible for legal aid,

Thirdly, the cost of pursuing a legal claim against British Airways, using public money would not be able to meet the cost/benefit test applied by the Legal Services Commission, therefore not eligible for legal aid.

You have not consulted a lawyer.. you are thick and you are a liar. No lawyer will have advised you that they could take this case on legal aid.

It is highly consistent with your sponging pesonality that you would even contemplate taking public money, especially at a time when people are going through considerable hardship, for your trivial narcissitic dispute... I would stop posting if I was you. You are making an utter fool of yourself.

If you read my posts you will find that 95% of my posts are supportive of passengers who have received poor service or been treated badly by the airlines. However, charlatans get short shrift....

Last edited by jimworcs; Sep 13, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 5:12 PM

Join Date: Aug 2010

For the record....BA made a mistake in not asking for money at time of checking me and my child in.

They are looking into this issue so it dont happen again.

For your information, the free legal aid provided advice on what to put in my complaint letter to BA.

Thankfully i have had a good result. I am currently waiting to hear how BA are going to compensate me for the mistake they made.

The laywer has advised me that this may be in the form of a voucher for a small amount off any future flight.

so jimworcs....... go and get a life you sad lonely (proberly ugly) old person.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 5:41 PM

Sticks and stone, kids.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 6:28 PM

Originally Posted by niah View Post

They are looking into this issue so it dont happen again.

so jimworcs....... go and get a life you sad lonely (proberly ugly) old person.
Would you have paid the £350 if asked for it when you checked in?
Can someone explain this free legal aid? Is it Lawyers donating their time or is it funded by the taxpayers.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 6:42 PM

Join Date: Aug 2010

My family were present when we checked and we asked BA if there was any additional charge and we were told NO.

Had we known, my family would have raised the funds for the extra.

I was asked for the money as we were about to board the plane. (this was wrong)

its the same as pricing an item for £5 and charging £55 at the till.

The advice i recieved was from a law centre in london. As far as i am aware these are laywers who give their spare time to enhance their knowledge. However there are senior laywers who will oversee the advice.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:01 PM

Jimworcs is an old sicko, a geriatric loony who retired as a janitor from Shropshire General Hospital. I know him well. He is a lonely old man and definitely ugly, not proberly ugly. His wife left his sorry ass because he got erectile problems and his **** stopped working. So he takes out his frustration here.
Exactly right Cicero, it is almost like you know me!!

Ok, for those who are interested, she did NOT get legal aid. Legal Aid is a government programme for low income people who could not afford to hire a lawyer for their disputes. It is managed by a government agency called the Legal Services Commission. She had no chance whatsover of qualifying for legal aid and her subsequent answer moves away from that and talks instead about attending a local law centre. These are often run by charities, such as the Citizen's Advice Bureau or trainee lawyers, sometimes with grants from foundations or local councils.

Amongst all the bluster, she has essentially gone to a law centre and they have advised her how to write a letter of complaint. I agree that asking for money after indicating that there would be no charge is questionable. I said that all along.. here is a quote from my initial response to the princesses complaint...

What then happened was the little princess over egged the pudding. Her response to the advice she received and her demands indicates why the BA staff responded as they did. She is a royal pain in the ****.

Welcome back Cicero... and good to see you working so hard towards your next ban.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:23 AM

Looks like he's already gone. RIP, Cisero, Cicero, etc.......
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:50 AM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL

Jim: Based on that quote from Cicero either your taste in people you choose to go out with has really gone downhill, or Cicero has been hitting his Tobago rum again. I'll go with the latter.

As always, I enjoy your comments.
[B][I][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow]We HATE to fly--and it shows![/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B]
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:10 AM

Join Date: Aug 2010

ok ok Jim...... i thought legal aid and legal advice was the same...... And what???

you are a very negative person and had i taken your advice, i would ave given up on my complaint.

from your post.....you appear to be a nasty person who gets kicks out of cyber bullying...... check yourself.

my advice to anyone using this site is that if you feel that an injustice has happened to you......Fight it all the way and try being nice and u may get a result...
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:03 PM

Join Date: Dec 2009

It's ridiculous accusing Jim of making you not write a complaint letter. Almost as much as going to a law center to help you write one.

If you are going to be a nurse you really need to toughen up.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:44 PM

niah...........I suggest to you that you read a few of Jim's previous posts and then re-think your position. There is not another person on this board that is more pro-consumer then he is. You are so far off-base here that it is ridiculous.

Click here to see more of his posts.

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Bumped & Dumped on Honeymoon in Atlanta William_Tenney Delta Air Lines Complaints 20 Sep 9, 2009 10:24 PM