Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked

Were you on a flight that was delayed, canceled, or overbooked?

Flight Cancelled - No Refund for 20 weeks

Old May 16, 2011, 6:07 AM

Join Date: May 2011

I booked a ticket for my niece Ayesha Patel-Rogers on Continental Airlines Newark-Mumbai-Newark CO48 departing Newark on 26 Dec 2010. I booked online on the Continental Airlines site and paid by international credit card (Visa). The ticket confirmation number was CY2DGY, and the e-ticket number was 0052 1669 57580.

The flight was cancelled because of snowstorms in and around Newark.

I have still not got my refund (this is posted 16 May 2011). Complaints at the toll-free number are very sweetly handled, but all I get is yet another ticket number, and nothing happens.

If, as Continental claims, the refund has been made, could they please get me a written confirmation of this from Visa? Because wherever the money may be stuck, it has certainly not re-entered my credit card account. In that account I am charged interest at 2% per month (compounding) on delayed payments. Shouldn't the same apply to delayed refunds from Continental Airlines?

It is I who paid Continental Airlines, using my credit card. Isn't it Continental Airlines' responsibility to ensure that the refund comes back to me? Their responsibility cannot end with the claim that they have repaid the credit card company (if indeed they have).

Shirish Patel (Mumbai)

Old May 16, 2011, 7:35 PM

You have been very patient... I would go to small claims, but I notice you live in Mumbai. Try writing to the state Attorney Generals Office in New Jersey. It is too late to query via Visa, but you can try through them.
Old May 17, 2011, 4:20 AM

Join Date: May 2011

Many thanks, Jim. If nothing happens in the next few days I will write to the State Attorney General's office in New Jersey as you suggest...Best wishes, Shirish
Old May 18, 2011, 7:39 AM
Ombudsman Ombudsman is offline

Join Date: Feb 2011

Jim has the right idea, but the wrong state. Continental is a Texas corporation and any refunds would be processed by their accounting offices in Houston. I suggest you get in contact with the Texas State Attorney General in Austin. https://www.oag.state.tx.us/agency/contacts.shtml
Contributing editor to one of the largest travel blogs on the internet.
Old May 19, 2011, 5:35 AM

Join Date: May 2011

Thanks to you, too, for putting me on the right track.
Best wishes,
Shirish
Old May 25, 2011, 1:33 AM

Join Date: May 2011

Dear all who advised me,

Thanks for all your support and advice - what worked eventually was an email to the CEO and I have my refund.

Best wishes,

Shirish

Air Arabia: cancelled a flight and refused to refund amount paid for set of tickets puerrtto Other Airline Complaints 2 Apr 8, 2011 4:57 AM
AirOne - cancelled flight and will not refund $ italytravel Other Airline Complaints 13 Aug 3, 2009 10:39 PM
Viva Aerobus Mexican Airline- They Cancelled flight/ No refund mcangas Other Airline Complaints 0 Aug 21, 2008 8:42 PM