In-flight Issue
COMPLAINT: Assault by Male Flight Attendant

Old Jun 24, 2012, 3:35 PM
Biolawyer Biolawyer is offline

Join Date: Jun 2012

On June 23, 2012, I was assaulted by a black male flight attendant on an American Eagle flight 3692 at 10:30 pm from Los Angeles to San Diego.

He had closely cropped hair, was probably between 5'9" and 5'11", with a muscular build, probably wwighed around 190 to 210 lbs and was anywhere from 35 to 45 years old. He was the only male attendant on the flight.

I was sitting in first class and was trying to make it home from a disastarous trip from Boston to San Diego in which the flight was cancelled three times and I had to stay an extra 24 hours in Boston.

About 5 seconds after we were backing up out of the gate, my sconed cell phone rang accidently. I thought both of my phones were off.

Both of my daughters were sick that night (one gets seizures and the other had a bad allergic reaction and was in the emergency ward that day).

I reached into my pocket to turn off the phone and quickly told my wife I could not talk and then turned the phone off.

Next thing I know the male flight attendant puches me in the shoulder and shouts in my face, "I said turn that phone off."

Being a former karate instructor, I turned around and said to him "Don't touch me. Don't you ever touch a passanger like that again" and looked at him in the eyes.

He then backed away and said "You should have turned that phone off before you got on the plane."

I looked at him again and said "Don't ever touch me."

At that point, I had to hold myself back because I realized that in this situation there was no way I could protest this and sat there for the 20 or so minute flight.

As we deboarded I could not get his name and I called the Customer Relations number on the web for AA. A rude woman said they have no call-in number for AA even though it is listed on their customer complaint site and I called that number.

This flight attendant's behavior was rude, abusive and illegal according to AA's rules, American law and the law governing flights.

If you are listening AA, this person should never come in contact with the public again. He should be fired for touching a passenger and for causing a scene that could have easily escalated.

All he had to do was to say turn off the phone (which I already did) and instead he chose to punch me? What type of behavior is that? Does AA condone that behavior?

This amounts to an assault and AA should consider its seriousness. I would like to know if there are any other complaints against this attendant and whether he has ever struck another passenger or whether he has any other assaults on his record. I would also like to know his name and address.

Please be careful of this person and please be careful when you are flying American Eagle or American Airlines.

I am an Advantage Club member, was flying first class and am a General Counsel for a Biotech company. I am also 50 years old and am 6'0" and weight 210 lbs. Imagine what this attendant has done or can do to people who won't take this behavior. No passenger should be subject to this type of behavior and AA needs to do something about him and this behavior from their employees.

Old Jun 24, 2012, 3:44 PM
azstar azstar is offline

Did he "punch" you, or did he tap you hard? He shouldn't have touched you at all, but there's a difference.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:48 PM
Biolawyer Biolawyer is offline

Join Date: Jun 2012

It felt like a punch to me. I've been punched in my life and it felt like that.

He should have just kept his hands to himself.

Thanks for your reply post.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:05 PM
mmartin4020 mmartin4020 is offline

Join Date: Jun 2012

I am extremely careful what I say when I am spoken to by a flight attendant on American Airlines International and generally don't ask ANY questions. I have seen way too many instances of rude behavior by American flight attendants. They behave as if they are god.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 4:50 AM
dfwgirl dfwgirl is offline

Join Date: Jun 2011

I didn't think American Eagle even had first class. Sorry for the flight attendants rude behavior. No one has the right to touch another without consent.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:05 AM
AirlineSympathizer AirlineSympathizer is offline

Join Date: May 2012

Originally Posted by dfwgirl View Post
On the CR7 they have first class. That happens to be the flight which served AA3692 - so the OPs story seems right. To the OP, why didn't you call the police, and file a report for assault? Others are correct, in that he cannot touch you at all. However, if someone tapped me, I'd probably let it slide...

If a flight attendent punched me, I would have gotten witnesses on the plane and had the police meet the plane at the gate.

Customer Service Rude flight attendant, flight 2298, 2/19/2010 WaltD Customer Service 10 May 15, 2012 8:26 PM
In-flight Issue Hijacking and Air Assault on Air Canada Flight 1744 fernidad Air Canada Complaints 1 Nov 18, 2011 4:17 PM
Customer Service Rude flight attendant, flight CO34 IAH to LHR March 20, 2010 dslov007 Customer Service 0 Mar 21, 2010 9:02 AM