In-flight Issue
COMPLAINT: Fairbanks to Anchorage service-less flights

Old Oct 28, 2009, 2:20 AM

Ok, it is very expensive to fly between Fairbanks and Anchorage, and I would expect more than just "orange juice or water" service. They didn't even offer a pack of pretzels. The reason I heard is that the flight attendants have it on board, but they don't want to offer anything more because they are afraid they'll run out of their pitiful itsy bitsy snacks, or maybe it will take too long. Fine. Then give us a better price.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Oct 28, 2009, 3:07 AM
Banned

i thinks itms really a time issue and not the cost. I fly from Phoenix to Los Angeles, Las Vegas and San Diego on both Southwest and US Airways. all short flights and they just do a limited beverage service. at least with southwest you get peanuts but that's a Southwest trademark so you'd expect to get peanuts although i usually pass.

seriously if you want alaska to cut the price of the pretzels from your ticket it would only reduce it by a dollar or so. have you tried just asking for a package? if a snack is so important on such a short flight perhaps you should bring your own.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 3:36 AM

What I would like to know is just how "expensive" this ticket is, since it's only a short flight (assuming its short since its only drinks they are serving). But it's always a good idea, on any given flight to bring along extra snacks, simply because you may not enjoy the meal (and that can definitely happen) and two, you might get hungry after the meal. And if it's a short flight, you can have something to nibble on during the short flight. Graham crackers are my preference by the way.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 3:49 AM
Banned

walk-up fare is $230 each way including all taxes. pricey for a less than one hour flight but there are much higher fares for flights of comparable length in the lower 48.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 2:24 PM
Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

you may have heard that but i really dont think thats the case. its only an hour flight and there isn't alot of time for a flight attendant to do a full beverage service and pick up by the time of decent, i dont think this is a cost thing. i think most can go an hour without pretzles. flying is getting expensive no matter where you go or how long the flight is. when you pay for a flight your also paying for the fuel, landing/take off costs, 9-11 security fees, taxes etc, not just your beverage or snack
Old Oct 29, 2009, 2:53 AM
Former Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Originally Posted by joy105 View Post
Ok, it is very expensive to fly between Fairbanks and Anchorage
Looks like a full price fair is $325 and change. That's not really an entirely valid complaint. Granted very few people have $300 to fly everyday, but then again, it's not $600 or $700. Weather $300 is "very expensive" or just a bit expensive or completely cost prohibitive is up to each person and their own finances.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 2:55 PM
Former Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

I forgot to mention that the $325 fare is round trip, not one way.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 4:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jetliner View Post
I forgot to mention that the $325 fare is round trip, not one way.
Was that the "Full Flex" fare? Right now Alaska is running it's annual PFD sale which coincides with the dividend payment to Alaska residents. The fare to use when you want to compare "apples to apples" is the walk-up Y fare. Alaska calles this "Full Flex." The Full FLex r/t fare from ANC to FAI is $487.69 or about $244 each way. Compare that to, say, Delta from Cincinnati to Chicago O'Hare at $1,589.69 or $795 each way. ANC to FAI is 260 miles (according to the great circle mapper) and CVG to ORD is 264. So all things being equal (Y fare class and distance) you can see that Alaska could probably get away with charging much more for those flights.

I think Joy just complains for the sake of complaining. There's a Yiddish word that describes such a person... a kvetch!

Last edited by PHXFlyer; Oct 29, 2009 at 4:40 PM.