Customer Service
COMPLAINT: British Airlines Flight Cancellations Gives Horizon Re-booking Fees ($184)n

Old May 30, 2010, 12:23 AM

Because our son was stranded in Africa(Zambia) because of the BA strike he had to change his Seattle to Reno flight (Horizon) time twice as BA changed his routing. Because his Seattle to Reno flight was not linked to his Zambia/Heathrow flight (one was a group flight through university) Horizon charged the full re-booking fee twice as his BA flights changed. No sympathy from Horizon..just $184 more.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old May 30, 2010, 1:16 AM

Complain to Horizon's consumer affairs:
https://www.alaskaair.com/www2/ssl/h...e=CustomerCare

Surprisingly, they might help you out.
Old May 30, 2010, 5:25 PM

If his flight was via London you may have another remedy if the Horizon Customer Care dept don't come through. Although the bookings are not linked, try this. Write to BA and state that your flights from LHR to Seattle (I assume this was your routing) were twice delayed. You should ask BA to reimburse your additional booking fees, providing proof that you had bookings with Horizon and that they had levied additional fees. State in your letter that you are making this claim under EU Regulation 261. It is a bit questionable if this applies in your situation as the regulations apply to flights which originate in the EU. However, I think it can be argued that the regulation does apply to you. More information on this is available on the BA website. Many US citizens are assuming the rules are the same in the EU as in the US. Despite the volcano being outside the control of the airlines, European Airlines are obligated to pay the reasonable hotel and additional expenses in such circumstances.
Old May 30, 2010, 8:39 PM

Thanks for the information jimworcs. As of now they are booking for the third time through jo'berg. The BA strike certainly hurt students who had planned summer programs abroad.
Old May 31, 2010, 2:24 AM
Former Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

I will readily admit, I don't know EU rules or law for airline complaint resolution. Remembering that, I would say you have very little chance of recovery of any fees from Horizon as jimworcs briefly mentioned what the airline will fall back on.......

Originally Posted by jimworcs
Although the bookings are not linked, try this.
You have 2 seperate tickets, it sounds like. BA's only obligation is to get you from point A to point B. Getting to point C on a completely different itinerary, they may argue, is not their problem.

I dealt with this situation at length in HNL. If our flight was late into HNL and a passenger had a different booking on AQ or HA to an outer island, we had no obligation to compensate them if our flight was delayed inbound and they missed their connection. In other words, no hotel for overnight, no food, only rebook them and if there were fees incurred, the passenger would have to pay.

It's harsh, I agree but this is what BA may give you for their defense.
Old May 31, 2010, 8:10 AM

I am not saying this is definitely going to be successful, but the law does not specify that your final destination must be part of a linked booking. It simply states that they are obligated to pay to get you to your final destination.

The airlines are up in arms about the effect this is having on them and are seeking government compensation. BA have now spent almost $200m in compensation to passengers and Easyjet are claiming it has cost them almost $80m. The regulators are taking a hard line with the airlines in forcing them to apply this law, and even Ryanair have backed down and agreed to pay.

Here is the law in full.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...01:0007:EN:PDF

One thing I would also point out. Do NOT accept compensation offered by another jurisdiction, ie under US DOT rules or those of another country. Once you have accepted this, the EU rule no longer applies. If you are travelling on BA, you will almost certainly be entitled to far more compensation under EU261/2004 that IN ANY other jurisdiction.