COMPLAINT: stranded on the 4th of July

Old Jul 4, 2010, 4:51 PM

Join Date: Jul 2010

After a brief visit to Oregon ( June 29th to July 2nd ) I supposedly was to depart from Medford OR. at 0500 hrs, after arriving at the airport before 0400 hrs ( an hour before departure ) there was a line with over 20 people and 1 counter person attending for 2 flights ( 1 for Seattle and my flight to Portland ).
after 40 minutes of standing in line a second female employee of Horizon arrived at the counter and announced for a second line for the 0500 hr flight to Portland to form, after 15 minutes and only 3 persons were serviced by this second line, she announced that unfortunately she'll be closing that line, to tend to the boarding gate leaving aprox. 9 people to go back to the 1st line where the people flying to Seattle where ( a latter flight 05:45 boarding ) after complaining that our flight was to depart within 30 minutes, we were told to get to the back of the 1st line thus setting everybody back and making us miss the flight.

as we reached the counter( 0600 hrs ) we were informed ( as if we didn't know) that our flight had already left and there was nothing that could be done and was issued a phone number to call to "bitch about it" ( I was litteraly told this ) needless to say I called the number and the female on the phone apoligised but since being a holyday weekend she was unable to get us back home till the 7th of July.

as a diabled Veteran with my 11 year old daugther I am stranded in Oregon incurring hotel, meals and car rental expenses that are draining my savings ( the price I paid for serving my country loss of limbs and the taking of lives in order for people in Horizon Airlines to make profits and in turn be be treated this way ) as I am forced to travel via bus route in order to return back to Texas 2 days on a bus with an 11 year old after paying and not getting refunded for plane tickets.

needles to say I would never be using Horizon again and if you are reading this hopefully before patronizing this airline DO NOT TRAVEL HORIZON/ ALASKA AIRLINES

please forgive my spelling it's kind of hard as I'm partially blind and missing a few digits

by the way it is the 4th of July and if "thank a Vet" on this day is appropriate I can attest that the same is not Horizon's wishes.

Last edited by stranded_Vet; Jul 4, 2010 at 4:56 PM. Reason: missing input

Old Jul 4, 2010, 7:09 PM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL

According to Alaska Air’s website their Medford ticket counter opens at 3:45 AM. I’ll assume “…after arriving at the airport before 0400 hrs…” means the OP, actually, was standing at the ticket counter at that time---rather than just pulling into the parking lot. If it was the former then Alaska Air either needs to re-schedule this flight to a later departure or open the ticket counter at 2:45 AM. I suppose the airline employees/sympathizers on here will say he should have camped-out at that ticket counter before they opened so he would be first in line. That may be a good idea---assuming the airport police don’t shoo you away. Also, are the doors to the terminal locked before a certain hour?
[B][I][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow]We HATE to fly--and it shows![/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B]
Old Jul 4, 2010, 8:41 PM
Gromit801 Gromit801 is offline

Such an incorrect supposition Butch.

It would seem the line didn't more at all, if much. Many things could have led to something like this: computer issues, lengthy problems with customers in front, and the station manager allowing too many employees off for the holiday.

As a vet myself, I'm sorry this happened to you. I can only say you didn't miss the flight because you're a vet, but a failure somewhere in front of you.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 12:29 AM

Ok, so lets get this straight. The OP arrived before 04:00. If Butch is correct, the check in doesn't open until 04:45. As this customer didn't reach the front of the line until 06:00, it was taking 2hrs to process customers. There was no possible way Horizon could have processed this flight, even if he had arrived at 03:45. You should write to the airline, with as much detail as possible and make it clear that it was impossible for the airline to meet it's contractual obligation to you. You are therefore entitled, at the minimum, your money back. I frankly think this is precisely the kind of situation where you should get consequential damages. It is OUTRAGEOUS. However, the one good side of this, is it is Alaska Airlines. If anyone is going to give you a fair hearing, they are more likely than some of the others. Good luck.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 6:46 PM

Join Date: Jul 2010

Ok I arrived home yesterday after 24 hrs on a bus, rested and will attempt to deal with Horizon for at least a refund, I thank everybody for their reply and yes there were quite a few travelers who took more than the usual time to be processed, traveling minors, baggage check in ( too much luggage and questioning the charges ) but I did only see 2 employees and one of them had to attend the boarding gate ( thus was the statement from her for closing the second formed line after servicing 3 people ) . although the employee at the counter( who was already frustrated by the time I reached the counter) looked for alternatives ( I guess); she informed me that there were no possible way to get in another flight out and I could be stranded for a day or 2 in LA or Seattle or even Dallas and I would have to ask to be placed in a stand by status at those locations, the same thing was said by the representative at costumer service when I called. I will attempt to get a refund from the airline, I have no idea what constitute " consequential damages " I google it in a minute, I truly appreciate everybody's input thus shining a light on the subject and learning from other who possess knowledge, I'll keep checking and update this posting . thanks all
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:02 PM

Consequential damages are those costs you incurred directly as a result of the airline being unable to process you as a customer. So, this would be the additional costs such as your hotel, meals and car rental expenses and travel costs for travelling via bus.

Focus on the fact as their desk was taking over 2 hours to process customers, and did not open until 3:45 it was impossible for some passengers, no matter what time they arrived, to be processed for this flight, as the desk was not open. This is the issue.. try not to be diverted from it with suggestions that it was your fault as you didn't allow enough time. Ordinarily, they might be able to get away with this argument.. in your case it doesn't stack up because the desk didn't open until 3.45
Old Jul 10, 2010, 4:09 PM

Join Date: Jul 2010

Well I spoke with Horizon's complaint dept. and I believe they offered a fair resolution ( then again it might just be me thinking it's fair). they refunded the $$ for the return flight from Medford to Lubbock plus partial hotel expense. their math worked like this it cost me $ 360.00 for the bus trip plus $ 330.00 for the hotel stay ------------ for a total $ 690.00 they offered $ 490.00 for the return flight refund plus a second check for $ 200.00 for expenses incurred ---------- total cash $ 690.00 refund ( nowhere near the actual expenses incurred such as meals, car rental ) oh I almost forgot they also offered a $200.00 credit each ( $ 400.00 for the both of us ) on future travel. the difference I will have to battle with travelocity who had been of no help but that's for another forum I guess. I want to thank jimworcs Butch Cassidy Slept Here and Gromit801, for the reply's and guidance I'll keep checking the posting for any and all comments thanks again stranded_Vet
Old Jul 10, 2010, 4:46 PM

I think that is a fair settlement and it is even more reinforcement that the choices we make when selected an airline matter. Alaska/Horizon are regularly near the top of the tables for good handling of complaints and for customer satisfaction. It is important that these airlines are rewarded by patronage for their approach. I promise you that had this been Delta, you would have been treated very very differently. The only way to try and improve things is for people to make a positive decision to fly with customer focussed airlines like Virgin America, Alaska, JetBlue and avoid airlines which treat their passengers badly, like US Air and Delta. I think you did well and I am glad it worked out for you. It would certainly encourage me to use them again, particularly as you now have vouchers to offset the cost.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 4:09 PM
smit9722 smit9722 is offline

Join Date: Jul 2011

Same thing happened for the same flight times on the 5th of july!

Originally Posted by stranded_Vet View Post

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Flight 174 from San Jose on July 26 strandedflier JetBlue Airways Complaints 3 Aug 4, 2009 3:51 AM
In-flight Issue Flight 2012 from DFW-RNO on July 11th Havocide3 American Airlines Complaints 6 Nov 5, 2008 1:02 PM