In-flight Issue
COMPLAINT: Flying ac rouge could cause death by emboli

Old May 9, 2014, 11:57 AM

Flew AC Rouge for the first time April 14/14 .Has the LEAST amount of leg room of any Commercial Air line that I have flowen on . I am 6'3" & was jammed in at 45 degrees on a 4.5 hour flight. Just discharged from hospital after having a near DEATH experience from 3 PULMONARY EMBOLI . I had a silent Deep Vein thrombosis [ no leg swelling,pain etc] the worst kind to have as the first sympton may be death . AS I was having my first out patient INR, sitting opposite me was a fellow physician who also had a DVT courtesy of AC. [ note that the population of Sydney is 30,000, so the frequency of DVT is higher than previously acknowledged]
The CEO of AC , Mr Rovinescu, was quoted in March/14 in the Financial Post, about how much profit AC was going to make with " High density seating " with no regards to the health or comfort of his passengers .
This is the Chev Pinto Exploding Gas Tank Syndrome all over again , the profit that can be made far exceeds any customer damage awards.
JA Chadwick MD FRCP
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old May 9, 2014, 2:54 PM

ACCP guidelines recommend the use of graduated compression stockings that fit below the knee and give 1530 mm Hg of pressure to the ankle [1].

Clearly, the airlines are failing to responsibly manage your medical condition for you so I think a call for increased government regulation is in order.

[1] http://http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p...es/PMC3278060/
Old May 10, 2014, 11:40 AM

Note to self, don't use you as a physician.
Low dose aspirin pre-flight and during flight, compression socks, simple foot/leg exercises, buying up to a better airline/class of travel.
Business interests around the world so I've traveled extensively on long haul and have never experienced a problem, its about common sense.