COMPLAINT: Dog urine on my luggage

Old Jul 12, 2010, 7:14 PM

Join Date: Jun 2010

We recently traveled on AK Airlines and they didn't have a bag for our carseat. I understand that it may get a black mark from rubbing on the airplane or something. What I didn't expect is that they would put someone's dog (gross) next to my carseat and allow him to pee on it. It came out wet with dog urine and there were two-three dogs that went on that plane as I watched people pick them up.

There was no offer of compensation, just an agent who said we should have put it in a bag at the departing airport. I said they didn't have any, which he was surprised at. I had to take an entire day of vacation to take the carseat apart, wash it, and then wait for it to dry in the sun (thank goodness we had sun that day). Couldn't go anyway for an entire day while we waited for it to dry.

This problem could be easily solved by not allowing animals on planes. But I certainly expect that airlines are going to consider their human customers more important than animals and not put our baggage near the animals. Rather than worry about a bag for my carseat (none of our luggage have bags over them), they should have covered up the animal cage so when it decides to make a mess, it does it in the cage against its own cover so the one stinky wet thing is the dog and its cage, something for the dog owner to take care of instead of innocent me.

Apparently, AK Airlines feels that we should all cover our luggage, carseats, and anything else we might check in fear that a dog who is given more importance than the human passengers might pee on them.

Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:05 PM

Join Date: Nov 2007

I was shocked to see you suggest covering up an pet's cage, they do something called breath.
To be honest many of us would rather see the pets on the plane as opposed to crying, screaming kids that kick the back of our seats (that just as parents say "they paid for, I paid for mine also and don't car if little Johnny or Susie is upset), I also hate the smell of a baby's dirty diaper on the plane and the parents to lazy to change them (couldn't you put something around Jr. to contain the smell like you suggested for the pets kennel?....yes this is scarsm)
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:29 PM

Join Date: Jun 2010

I just can't even reply to that, its so ridiculous. You were a baby once, not a dog. Well, I guess I can answer...Do the babies poop on you on the plane? Do you have to take their dirty diapers with you after they've been rubbed all over your luggage or clothes and spend the day washing everything when you are supposed to be on vacation? I don't think so. But my four yr old had to sit on a plastic bag to get him to our destination and then we had to put our vacation on hold for a day while we washed and waited for the carseat to dry. Because of someone's dog and the airline's inability to have enough sense to move the animals away from my luggage. If they had put the dog owner's luggage up next to the animal so it could pee on its owner's stuff, I guess I'd be ok with that. Or, frankly, on your stuff since you seem to think its ok.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to mars6423

Well leatherboy does have a good point, you cant cover up the cage because then the dog would be unable to breathe and that would be animal crualty

Dogs (and all animals) poop and pee its natural, they cant help that they have to go and they dont know that they should "hold it" even if they could, its not like he or she relieved itself on your stuff on purpose

So as long as its not on your stuff then it is ok? well thats nice to know

The owners luggage most likely wouldnt be next to the dog as in many airports there is a "oddly shaped/oversize" drop off which is different from the main bag drop off, and they try to keep suitcases and oversized articles in different but close areas in the baggage hold from what i understand

the airlines of coarse like always wont compensate for something that they didnt do or something that they couldnt control
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:26 PM

Join Date: Jun 2010

Airlines ABSOLUTELY can control it. They can separate animals from luggage. Pretty simple. Now I'm the one who's shocked at this crazy conversation in which dogs and airlines are more important than people.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to mars6423

Honestly in this case I'd hope the airline paid more attention to the dog than the suitcase, either the dog dies so your bags are fine or you go through the discomfort but nonlife-threatening wet child seat

are the airlines saying that the dog is more important than you or people in general? No they are not you feel that they are because the dog peed on your stuff and you didn't get comp'd for something out of their control, baggage holds can only hold so much and they put odd shaped bags together aka the dogs and childseat

Kids have accidents too
Old Jul 13, 2010, 6:22 PM

Join Date: Jun 2010

Again, the airline DOES HAVE CONTROL. They can separate the animal. They can put the owner's bags next to the animal. They can put the animal in a crate with solid walls and breathing space on top so they only pee on themselves. Many options. Children do not have pee all over other people's luggage. They have do so in a diaper or the toilet. And children are people, humans. Much more important than a dog.

It wasn't about compensation, although an entire day of ruined vacation is definitely worth a lot, and would be to you as well if it happened to you. Its about getting the airline to fix the problem so it doesn't happen again to anyone. Its about fighting for the rights of non-dog owners who have to listen to neighbor dogs barking without a fix, put up with disrespecful dog owners everywhere, and now apparently put up with other people's dogs peeing on their luggage (paid for in addition to a ticket).
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:09 PM

I have stayed out of this, because I was unsure which side of the fence I was on.. .but I have to say that I think the OP has a point.. the airline could make a gap between the animal and the baggage, or put a plastic sheet over the adjacent bags. I think a little of care would go along way. I am not sure you would be so sanguine mars if you had a soft sided case, with designer suits in it and the dog peed over the bag and destroyed your clothing. That could be expensive. When the airlines charges you for a baggage service, they do have a basic duty of care to the goods.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to mars6423

Since there is a area for normal bags and one for oddly shaped bags then it would be difficult to make sure their bags are together and I am sure the baggage handlers would love personalizing the bag layout........then we would have alot more complaints about delayed flights

Even if the breathing holes were at the top there most likely would be a higher death rate as the dog would be agitated scared and panic besides from swimming in their own ****.....they are living and they have feelings unlike luggage which can be washed out or covered

Jim......that's why when I travel I have a water proof/water resistant suitcase which has been fine and that includes it being drenched in the Singapore monsoon, stuff inside dry.....or you can cover the inside with plastic bags
Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:40 PM
pattis pattis is offline

Location: U.S.

here's an idea..take responsibility for yourself and put a damn plastic bag of your own over carseat. yes it sucks that it happned to you, however ptoblem could have been avoided by doing so. On a side not...i have seen dog kennels much cleaner and dogs smelling alot better than some child car seats. some are downright disgusting.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:59 PM

Join Date: Nov 2007

I remember the OP next time I have to sit somewere and smell a bratty little kids diaper cause the parents are to lazy to change it. You chose to have a child NOT me, I am sick and tired of parents thinking we all have bow down to them cause they chose to bred. If you can't handle parenthood and not cause the rest of us to suffer for YOUR choice then may I suggest using a condom
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:00 PM

No Pattis, perhaps you don't get the nature of the relationship. The customer pays the airline to manage their luggage and in return the airline looks after it whilst it is in their care. That is how it works... the customers pay and the airline provides the service. Perhaps we should try your approach for other services. You take your letter the post office and buy a stamp, hand it to the clerk.. who shoves it back in your face and says "deliver it yourself". Or we can do into McDonalds and buy a hamburger. After paying, the clerk tells the customer "take some responsibility you fat cow and make your own hamburger". On reflection, I think I am liking this novel approach....
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:05 PM

Leatherboy... you got issues.. and if your parents had followed your advice... we would have been denied the pleasure of your contributions and the world would have been without Mr. Leatherboy...I am thinking on balance, it is a good thing people have kids!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:00 PM
JMOThanks JMOThanks is offline

Join Date: Jul 2010

O.k...Mom here!! Traveled with kids and pets.
First of all..that is crazy!! Camarors..I agree you should cover the carseat. I did it...and I was traveling with my cat. too...

And if you have a child with you on the plane. Why isn't the child in the carseat?? I remember traveling with my son they required that if my son had a carseat to put him in it during the flight. I flew Delta and they did tell me he had to be in a carseat if he had his own seat.

I notice too that they do seperate the animals and the baby stuff because, when I took my stroller at the gate...they put them on last and take em off first. And animals are loaded on a differant time then the luguage. Because, they need to be careful of the animals...Oh I had to pay 150.00 for my cat to ride "cargo". My cat was a paying customer. So STICK IT Jerk!!!
[SIZE=4]Save some money...enjoy the view...Take a train..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/SIZE]
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:09 AM

Location: ATL

This problem could be easily solved by not allowing animals on planes.
It could also be just as easily solved by not letting kids travel.

Couldn't have said it better.

You're confused as to the responsibilities of the airline. We have a responsibility to deliver your bag from A to B, not to babysit it like you are the president. If you're worried about your stuff getting wet, wrap it in plastic or use a hardsided case.

Something else that hasn't come up yet... what happens when your 15 bottles of shampoo you took on vacation come open and leak all over my bag "ruining" my stuff? Or the alcohol you're bringing back from vacation, or perfume, or mouthwash... your bag could be the farthest one away from the dog and still get ruined and it STILL wouldn't be the airlines fault.
I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside. Run, he's fuzzy, get out of here.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:43 AM

If you want to know why Delta is such a horrendous airline, this reveals all.

This is what Delta officially says about it's responsibility for luggage:

Quote from Delta Terms and Conditions
For travel entirely within the USA, liability for loss, damage or delay in delivery of baggage is limited to $3,300 per ticketed passenger unless a higher value is declared in advance and additional charges are paid. Carrier assumes no responsibility for fragile or perishable items.

Quote from Justme,
We have a responsibility to deliver your bag from A to B, not to babysit it
This is what Delta officially says about travelling with kids:

Your child's safety and comfort are very important to us. That's why we have travel guidelines and safety restrictions to make sure kids' travel is fun and safe.

Quote from Justme
Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:01 PM

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
Thanks jim you do to, the UK isnot the perfect place so before you start bellyaching about things here in the US suggest you look in your own yard first.
I grew up in a time when people travel, they wear shirts, ties, dress, pants, and ladies wore dresses and skirts. Travelers did not wear tank/tube tops, flip flops, shorts that should only be worn at the beach or clothes that would do any ****** proud.
My mom (widow) took responsitbility for our behavior and did not expect anyone else to take care of us or lay our behavior on society or others(and we knew the results if we acted up, a spank on the butt never hurt anyone), like parents do today.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:48 PM

This is what Delta officially says about it's responsibility for luggage:

Quote from Delta Terms and Conditions

Quote from Justme,
We have a responsibility to deliver your bag from A to B, not to babysit it
Where in the T&C does it say we will protect it from someone's dog peeing on it? Or from someone's liquids in their bags leaking and getting on it? Or from the rain? It doesn't. It protects against LOSS, DAMAGE, and DELAY. The car seat was none of those things. It was dirty, that's it. On a PERSONAL level, had I been the agent she talked to in baggage service, I would have offered her a loaner seat. That didn't happen in this case though.

This is what Delta officially says about travelling with kids:

Quote from Justme
It could also be just as easily solved by not letting kids travel.
I enjoy kids as much as anyone else, but I think you will find that the majority of stories you hear that involve both kids and travel end up being complaints about the kids. Kicking seats, screaming, crying, pooping, you name it, they do it. Do I seriously think we shouldn't let kids travel? No, I said that to demonstrate the level of lopsided we are dealing with here. Saying, "This problem could be easily solved by not allowing animals on planes." is crazy and you and I both know it. I was simply trying to show that.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:22 PM
pattis pattis is offline

Location: U.S.

Jim, i agree that the airline is resposible for getting a persons bag there safely, however no airline is responsible for what others pack. I have seen peoples clothes ruined because some half wit put a bottle of red wine in thier luggage and it breaks and gets all over everyone elses. How about the overstuffed pack with 3 containers of shave cream that exploded and was all over everyones stuff. Is this the airlines fault??? NO!! Now the dog urine thing..that sucks , for sure. Now if an airline says no animals, you have breeders that ship that will be up in arms over the whole situation. People screaming they cant take thier pet with them when they winter in AZ for 6 months of the year. It is a no win situation. I say if somones bag/animal causes an issue, be it wine, perfume, toiletries, or pets they are the ones that should be made to compensate others. How about the person that packs antlers and wont cover the tips...baggage shifts around during flight. I have sen bags with hols ripped in them..gored by antlers. I am not saying at all that airlines should not be held responsible when a bag has been run over by a tug or dragged. My thought is mostly when people show up at counter and want bags for thier luggage. Then have a fit when it is not
provided for them. Buy a box of trash bags put it around the car seat or whatever. BIG DEAL!!! I dont know if any airlines provide bags. I have worked for DL, NW, and Skywest none of them provided bags (except for skis ). Maybe they do in the large hubs, i don't know. But if it just going to get a person all stressed out, just take care of yourself. simple solution.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:31 PM

Location: ATL

Hate to prove you wrong since we seem to agree on this one, but DL, NW, and Skywest all provide bags for carseats. They used to be free, but if memory serves they are supposed to be charging $3 for them now. For $3 you could go get your own box at the store and have enough for an entire years worth of travel!

Way too idealistic to actually happen in real life. I agree it would be the most logical option, but it would be such an incredible headache to match up who's stuff damaged who, it would never happen. What happens when you fly from SRQ to ATL, your bag gets soaked with someone elses red wine, then you go to DEN, and they go to BUF. You would never know who's wine it was that destroyed your stuff.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:10 PM

I wonder if you guys would feel the same way if you handed your coat in at a restaurant and another customer spilt a bottle of wine over it. You would shrug your shoulders and say the restaurant has no liability? You are charging people for a service, and you have a duty of care to those people to provide a reasonable service. I don't think people would expect a car seat to be pee'd on by a dog, whilst in the airlines care.

Leatherboy... you may have interpreted my post more negatively than I intended, but the silly nationalistic gut response makes a poor argument. I have never suggested the UK is perfect, and my children are US citizens. In any event, are we following the logic that US companies are beyond criticism by British people, even if British people use their services? In that case, can you start posting your objections to US citizens criticizing BP please?

Justme...

Nowhere. I notice it doesn't say in your Terms and Conditions that your staff will not masturbate over female passengers underwear either. Presumably, this means that customers can expect this and have no legitimate complaint.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:37 PM

Location: ATL

More than likely, yes, I would ask the patron who spilled the wine for compensation. How can the restaurant be responsible for someone else who isn't an employee being careless? Like I said, ideally, this is how it would work for an airline to, but the logistics of tracking down who's fault it is are unrealistic and unmanageable. This is precisely why when asked for advice on luggage and air travel, my first response is ALWAYS to not check bags and carry everything. Second rule is, if you must check bags, use hard sided luggage. It won't stop it getting crushed by a tug on accident, but it will keep your stuff dry and in tact much better than anything else.

As for this comment, it is disgusting and entirely way to far over the top. Someone purposefully leaving human bodily fluids on your clothes after presumably opening your bag to get to them is completely different than a dog getting scared and wetting itself. You know that as well as I do.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:04 AM

Well, we disagree. If I pay a coat check, then I expect the provider of the service I have paid for to take reasonable precautions to ensure that my coat is not stolen or damaged. It is one thing if it is left on a public coat hanger, but entirely different if the service is charged for and they are in the custody of the coat check people. Likewise, when I was in MOMA in New York, I was required to pay to leave my backpack, as this was not allowed in the gallery. I think I would have been somewhat surprised to find it soaked in dog urine when I returned. You choose not to see the comparison in order to defend the undefensible.

The choice of an outrageous example was a device to point out the fatuousness of your argument that unless the Terms and Conditions specifically exclude an eventuality, then the airline is not liable. It is a ridiculous argument... Delta has a very bad reputation for this kind of obstructive, argumentative style of customer service and you do no credit to them by putting it in writing. I can just imagine you telling the customer that your T&C's don't cover dog urine, so there is nothing you can do with a smirk on your face. It is ridiculous to suggest that customers who place their child's car seat in the care of Delta should reasonably expect to get it back soaked in dog urine. Even more ridiculous is your attempt to find an explanation for this stance by citing your Terms and Conditions.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:56 AM

Location: ATL

Pretty sure if you read again I said, "On a PERSONAL level, had I been the agent she talked to in baggage service, I would have offered her a loaner seat." Maybe you skipped over it by accident, but it's more likely you skipped it because it didn't serve your "Delta employees are the devil" mantra.

I would have been equally surprised to have seen a dog being left in the coat check office! Here's why I don't lend much credence to your examples... you say if your coat gets wine spilled on it while it's in the coat closet would be unacceptable. I agree, but because that is not a place you would have wine for any reason. You say if your backpack gets peed on while in the bag check office that would be unacceptable. I agree, but because that is not a place that dogs should be stored. The cargo bin of an airplane carries everything that people travel with, luggage, liquids, pets, etc, plus mail and cargo which could be ANYTHING. I simply suggest that to ban animals altogether because of one incident is a little over zealous.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:25 AM

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post

Do you know how much damage to the environment here on the Gulf Coast BP has done? not to mention how many jobs have been lost due to the damage, small comparison to the things on here.