In-flight Issues

Did you experience any problems during an Continental Airlines flight?

In-flight Issue
New, and bad, aircraft

Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:21 AM
Jasper Jasper is offline

Join Date: Jan 2010

I have recently begun flying Continental, which is the only carrier operating nonstop service between Newark and LA. I fly every week, and fly a redeye one way.

I have been appalled at the (apparently new) aircraft that they use on this route. They are Boeing 737-900s.

The planes have seatback screens, which render the seatbacks even thicker than they used to be when the same space was occupied by telephones. So, and as a consequence:

1. The distance between seats is small;
2. The screens, by default set on "bright," can be dimmed, but the controls are on the top of the armrest, and a slight nudge by me or my seatmate turns my screen on, back on bright; and most important
3. Because, I assume, of the screens, the seats barely recline, at most, about three inches. It is almost impossible to sleep in such a seat, far more difficult than in seats that recline a more normal amount.

Am I the only one who thinks that on a redeye airplanes ought to be used that have seats that recline? And that controls of media devices could be designed by a person who thought about the end-user?

Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:38 AM

Everyone I know finds the stupid armrest controls for the inflight entertainment fiddly and awkward. I can think of no good reason why there are not screen based controls which are easy to use. Frankly, a tiddly 737 to LA is also a nightmare... I would go from JFK or Philly!
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:57 AM
cortney cortney is offline

Join Date: Sep 2009

OMG!! i couldnt agree more with the controls on/in the armrest...its so annoying! The 767s we have, have the controls on the side of the armrest, so when the passengers move they hit the call button and we see if they need anything and they give us a "what do you want look" lol