COMPLAINT: Transphobia and lost my original complaint

Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:35 PM
LJFerris LJFerris is offline

Join Date: Jun 2016

I flew with Ryanair to Majorca on the 3rd of April. I am a trans person and have changed my name legally by deed poll. I haven't yet changed the name on my passport as my passport is still in date and, with the correct deed poll I can prove my name change.
However, on this day I went to check in and the staff at check in wouldn't accept my passport and deed poll. I was taken to the side where a second person scrutinised my paperwork and then called up some head office. On the phone he said to them that I had a deed poll that "doesn't look real" and continually misgendered me, despite me explaining I am trans. I was in tears, felt humiliated and was now in danger of holding up the flight. I was travelling with the following proof of identity:
Passport and LEGAL DEED POLL.
Driving licence in new name
Student ID
EHIC card
A letter of "transsexualism" diagnoses from a gender clinic with both my previous and current name on.
Doctors letters to my current address with both old and new names and mention of trans status.
Despite all of this, I was made to pay 160 to change the name on my boarding pass to match my passport. I felt disgusted with the service I received and the fact that I was made to do this. I have since taken my deed poll into a solicitors who has confirmed it is legal and should have been accepted. If I had changed my name due to marriage and had my name change certificate I wouldn't be facing this problem, it is absolutely transphobia.
Since reporting the complaint over 8 weeks ago I have heard nothing. On calling up Ryanair I was informed that my complaint had been lost and I should resubmit it. This is simply NOT good enough Ryanair. I have lost off faith in them now, firstly having been treated so poorly and then, having made a complaint it has been lost. Appauling service.

Last edited by LJFerris; Jun 6, 2016 at 8:40 PM.

lost complaint, name change, poor service, transphobia

Customer Service hand-written boarding passes - complaint about complaint dept Matt_FLL United Airlines Complaints 0 Aug 30, 2012 6:14 PM
Baggage Problems Lost item found but then lost Dodgemc Baggage Problems 1 Oct 19, 2011 3:03 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Changed itinerary, booked us in earlier flight, original flight still exists flyer1998 Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked 3 May 12, 2011 5:34 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked How far can I go with this complaint? Rising Falcon American Airlines Complaints 0 Jan 17, 2011 6:06 PM
Egypt Air - Lost Baggage Complaint skrohilla Other Airline Complaints 2 Oct 2, 2008 8:09 AM