COMPLAINT: BA fees and upgrades

Old Nov 23, 2010, 3:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to mars6423

Hi, I am flying from EWR to Singapore via london heathrow later on this year (well technically i arrive in singapore 1st of January)

I normally would fly with Virgin Atlantic and then Singapore Airlines, however i am not a fan of Virgin Atlantic's reservation system as you can't easily choose the flight you want, just the date.......and the flights they offered me had a tight connection time for international travel and also since it will be winter and delays are frequent, i decided not to take the chance again (did that 2years ago and was delayed and pulled upto the gate next to the Singapore Airlines flight I was supposed to be on was pulling out and had to stay at a scary airport hotel........side note i was excited to fly the SQ A380 as I hadn't flown on one upto that point)

anyways.........I went to my booking and to do a seat assignment it is $30 each way on BA which i think is kind of ridiculous and will be shocked if anyone pays that. Even though I have a frequent flier card with them they still want to charge me the $30 I understand more airlines are charging for this, but $30 is excessive, it is higher than many other airlines I have heard of. (SW is doing a $59 one way fee for select destinations promotion, so you can get 2seats on BA for the price of one flight)..........i wonder when they will start adding fees for bags etc (and the taxes to fly to/thru london are already high, highest in the world maybe?)

I dropped off my friend who is flying BA right now and helped them in the check in process as they were a first time flier, and were a little nervous, and I knew someone working at the check in desk, and I got frustrated and annoyed at many of the staff, pushing and trying to get people to pay for an upgrade ($200 to premium economy and $700+ for the next class) even though the flight was very empty (from what my friend told me) they are trying to suck money out of everyone

I would understand the charges if the flight is full or at least mostly full, but when the flight is empty then don't charge for upgrades, the worst that could happen is happy customers who would be more likely to keep flying you

Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:56 AM

mars,
If I was you, I would consider changing your routing so you don't go via London anymore. The new taxes, particularly on long-haul are onerous and frankly a rip off. Unless people begin avoiding London as a hub, and UK passengers start booking long haul flights via European capitals, nothing will force the government to drop these taxes. I intend to travel via Paris or Frankfurt when travelling to the US to avoid these taxes. They have been levied for supposedly "green" reasons, but in reality this is rubbish. If they wished to do this, they would impose higher taxes on short haul flights, many of which could be done by the far greener train. For long haul destinations, where people have no choice but to fly, there is no justification for the very high charges now imposed.

Not sure I agree that if there are free seats in a higher class, that it follows the airline should offer these free as upgrades. This can have the effect of irritating those who have paid for the service. Why would an airline risk irritating the customers who generate most of their income, by upgrading people who have not paid for a service?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to mars6423

im not saying that they should all be upgraded or fill in business class or whatnot

i am saying they shouldn't pressure you into paying for an upgrade, if they are going to upgrade someone they should either let them do it for free or not try and force them to pay the difference, that simple......they can mention that if you pay x amount you can upgrade but not say it in a demanding way and keep bringing it up

and not to the point where business or first is filled up or it encroaches on the paying customers, upgrade a few people..............in this case yesterday there were only 2 business class passengers (one of them was a british movie director) so there would be no harm in upgrading a few people (hopefully not small children or babies)

I would have flown another route but this was the best one for its price and schedule for me.......as i refuse to fly an american airline (continental, delta and united were all the american options that were slightly cheaper) The other options for around the same price were Air France but i dont like the cdg. I could have taken lufthansa but i have heard some pretty bad stories there myself

And by going through LHR i can get some walkers chips/crisps and some chocolate that i cant find here

the price was pretty much the same as other routes but its crazy how it seems you pay more in taxes then the actual flight
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:26 PM

I am not sure that the pressure to upgrade is that much.. I have flown regularly with BA and they do quite often offer an upgrade to PremiumPlus or Club, but it is hardly the tactics of timeshare salesmen. If you say no thanks, they have never persisted with me.

Walkers crips are owned by Pepsico, who also own Lays..so you think they would be the same..but you a right, they are quite different and I must admit, I much prefer Walkers to Lays! (Especially Worcester Sauce flavour).

You are right to avoid AA, Delta and United... but AirFrance are not too bad, despite CDG. I think Lufthansa are pretty good overall too... just avoid Alitalia!!
Old Nov 26, 2010, 5:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to mars6423

Maybe it is like that in the UK but several people that i know who have flown BA recently have all told me they felt pressured into upgrading and were given some sort of attitude (may just be the EWR staff)

I have the silver executive ffcard and they were pressuring me when i was talking about how i am flying them in december, this was when i dropped my friend off and asked about the $30 seat assignment

haha i know lays and walkers are owned by the same company but they taste very very different to my taste buds, they dont even compare and i try and stockpile walkers when i can, since my fav flavors are ones you cant find over here......prawn cocktail, smokey bacon, they used to have a ketchup flavor but havent seen that lately, cheese and onion, skips, im probably missing a few...........and cant forget my maltesers (those things they call maltballs here are just disgusting)

AF and BA were about a < $100 difference so it was worth me paying a little more than going to an airport that confuses me and i dont know much french and people always ask me things in french or tourists try and ask something in french and i say oh i dont speak french and they walk away disgruntled lol

Reservations More CXL Fees EdwardseanRyan United Airlines Complaints 20 Jan 10, 2009 2:34 AM
Customer Service Won't honor upgrades I paid for bilfritz Customer Service 3 Sep 9, 2008 11:27 PM
Unusable upgrades John I SkyMiles Complaints 0 Apr 14, 2007 4:30 AM