COMPLAINT: DL4585 Leaves Early-Leaves Passenger Behind

Old Mar 12, 2016, 4:20 AM
jsfarber jsfarber is offline

Join Date: Mar 2016

Today my wife was flying from SFO to MSN through SLC. Her first flight DL4465 arrived late in SLC and unfortunately she had to go from the D Gates to the B Gates to catch her next flight DL4585. She ran the whole way, and when she arrived at the departing gate, the gate attendant told her the flight left early. I'm guessing that Delta had a financial investment in leaving early. Or I can presume the pilot had a vested interest in leaving early. What is clear is that they left her behind. Maybe they make calculated decisions based on how many people they effect. What they might not have calculated was how much this decision effected our night. Without going into details about our situation, let me simply say that the extra five hour delay in arriving at her destination both cost us both money and avoidable trauma. I would have absolutely nothing to complain about if Delta left at their scheduled departure time.
What Delta couldn't have calculated was how I planned to spend my next few weeks. I've decided to tell 20 consumer websites about my dissatisfaction with their decisions and lack of passenger support, AND send an email to 1000+ email contacts. They chose the wrong family to do wrong. I first called Delta to state my dissatisfaction. A supervisor named Kim rubbed me wrong in her tone. When I completed that call, I called American Express and cancelled my Skymiles credit card. As far as American Express is concerned, had they honored my request to credit the $95 annual fee , I would have kept the card. I likely would have simply stopped using my card for Delta flights but continued to use it at Costco. How could I really use the card and reward Delta who gets a fee for every transaction I make? No, the right way to show that you have been harmed is to touch the pocketbook of the "harmer." Dropping my AMEX Skymiles card takes money from Delta. And I will use another carrier for at least the next two flights I make in April.
I'm sure there are many airline stories worst than this, but if I can encourage a few people to avoid flying Delta for their next flight, then I feel vindicated.
I'm hoping that Delta will offer a serious financial apology to my wife: Free Upgrades to First Class for this year's travel, Free use of the Delta Club Rooms (which she is unlikely to use so it would be an ideal freebie from their standpoint,) and perhaps 20,000 mile or a free flight.

Old Mar 12, 2016, 6:25 AM
alwaysflyin alwaysflyin is offline

Join Date: Apr 2013

Just curious what the scheduled departure time was, and the actual departure time. Also what caused the delay on the flight to slc? The delay reason may help your case.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 10:55 PM
jsfarber jsfarber is offline

Join Date: Mar 2016

The inbound flight from SFO was delayed by weather in SFO. The outbound flight DL4585 was scheduled for 2:35p and departed at 2:31p. I know I am mad at Delta for leaving early. I'm not sure if the pilot or gate crew made the decision. I can imagine they think they the airport very well as they travel back and forth through the Delta gates all of the time and likely know how long it takes to walk between them.

What Delta doesn't understand and likely failed to consider was that a late passenger RUNS through the airport to get from gate to gate. I have never seen a PILOT or flight crew run through the airport - and they don't have to, the plane will NOT take off without them.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:56 AM
A320FAN A320FAN is offline

Join Date: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by jsfarber View Post

Only 2 sets of people have the authority to hold a flight: 1.) system operations from corporate HQ, but there has to be several factors such as the %age of passengers connecting , if it is high then they will authorize a hold, if is low, then no hold, availability of seats via other flights to connect you to your final destination., 2.)Local station leadership based on the number of seats on other flights through out the day, reason for the delay on your original flight, what the approximate ETA of a delayed flight is, and availability of being able to rebook you via other means to the final destination. If non other those criteria are met, then the gate crew will dispatch the flight on time. Yes I have gone through this myself many times at my airline.

cancelled amex, left early, pilots, request upgrade

Lufthansa strike leaves thousands stranded The_Judge General Discussion 4 Feb 26, 2010 11:33 PM
Air Transat (and Thomas Cook) - leaves two minors stranded Kristin P Other Airline Complaints 5 Aug 14, 2009 12:30 PM
Baggage Problems Delta often leaves baggage behind tennisgolfd Delta Air Lines Complaints 9 Mar 12, 2009 6:00 AM