COMPLAINT: EY150 Fleecing by Chicago ETIHAD airport staff with carry on

Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:08 PM

Join Date: Feb 2016

Time and again Etihad airways staff in Chicago have proved to be the master of fleecing passengers.

I had a carry on luggage that conforms to what is listed "Each item must not exceed dimensions of 115 cm (40x50x21)."

The carry on luggage I was having
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 13.5 x 7.0 x 20.5
That translates to 41 inches total (which is 104.14 cm)

The Etihad staff at Chicago was not willing to listen or measure the same - probably there might be instructions from senior management to fleece money from unsuspecting passengers.

I (and numerous others) were made to cough up 300 USD.

How should I go about sending this complaint to the right authorities?

Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:17 PM
cliff7080 cliff7080 is offline

Join Date: Jan 2014

I know this is being REALLY picky but you need to go back and check your measurements. 20.5 inches is 52cm. The max single longest dimension allowed is 50cm so you are oversize on one dimension. Well Undersize on the other two but still oversize on that one dimension. I know its being TOTALLY picky but thats how it works today. You bag is oversize so you have to pay.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:45 PM

Join Date: Feb 2016

Thanks cliff7080 - Yes, I understand you are picky.

Let us look at the math (BTW, your math is correct, I am referring to Etihad website math).

It says 115cm and then says 40 x 50 x 21. Now 40 x 50 x 21 adds up to 111cm - so does one take 115cm as the allowance or stick to 40 x 50 x 21 as the allowance.

13.5inches = 34.29cm
7 inches = 17.78cm
20.5 inches = 52.07cm
Total = 104.14 cm
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:56 PM
cliff7080 cliff7080 is offline

Join Date: Jan 2014

I'm sorry my friend but it's not me that is picky. It's the airline because it's their game. So you were under on 3 dimensions and over on one. Any business that actually cared about their customers would have read it in your favor but the airline business has proved again and again that you they don't give a damn about the customers. They will just use every method that they can to grab your money. Still the truth of the matter is that you exceeded one of the ddimensions and that opened the door for them to jump in so you really have no case and they know it.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:14 PM

Hi Cliff7080

I wasn't upset at all with your comment and I am sorry if I came across like that.

The point I am trying to make here is if you were to go with 115 cm, then the dimensions would be something like 40, 54, 21 or 42, 52, 21 or something like that.

I totally agree with you that the airline business doesn't give a damn to the customer and I hope US DOT can step in and address some of these.

Thanks once again for reading and replying.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:54 AM
cray5678 cray5678 is offline

etihad fleecing

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Racist Comments by Etihad airport staff aauppal Etihad Airways Complaints 0 Jan 23, 2016 3:13 PM
Customer Service Poor services by Etihad airways visa department staff in updating ok to board msg JAFINAS Etihad Airways Complaints 0 Feb 3, 2015 6:20 AM
Customer Service Etihad check in staff misappropriating baggage shagai Etihad Airways Complaints 20 Mar 1, 2010 4:44 PM