COMPLAINT: $9 Fare Club - Deliberate and fraudulent charges

Old Jul 2, 2011, 3:27 AM
Ticked Off Consumer Ticked Off Consumer is offline

Join Date: Jul 2011

Folks, this is a complaint against Spirit Airlines, and a warning to all that you PLEASE reconsider when thinking about flying them.

I just got off the phone w/ a "Michael Bay" also just now. (How fun he shares that name with a famous movie director).

This company is EXTREMELY shady. PLEASE, people, beware!!!

I've been over-billed. I tried to cancel my membership (which I never wanted in the first place...I just wanted the cheap fare). I couldn't log in to their website to do so, so I went to their "password reset" option for a few days running. I NEVER was sent an email w/ my "new" password and information on how to access my account online. However, they do send numerous emails weekly regarding their promotions. Funny how they can do send out those kinds of emails with no problem, but not my numerous requests for password resetting. Please note: Many complaints you'll find online share common theme...that is, their website "doesn't work". I am in the IT field and know my way around websites. This is deliberate on their part. Clearly they disable certain functions on their site so that you are not able to use them. Most common, in my experience: Logging in, requesting a password reset, applying dollars-off coupon code.

Well, these thieves also have NO 800-number on their site. It's virtually impossible to get to their "customer service" unless you go to Google and research to see what their phone number is. For future reference, it's: 800-772-7117.

After going back-and-forth for 40 minutes with a customer service gentleman (and in fairness, he WAS a kind gentleman) who I am assuming is in India, based on his accent, I was transferred to his supervisor, a "floor manager" named "Michael Bay" (Seriously, if you're going to choose a fake name, is it because you want such a popular one that when someone tries to Google you there are a zillion search results?! Next thing you know they'll have a "John Smith").

They don't refund your money. I explained that I am not in a financial position to afford the $59.95 charge; that I was charged unjustly; that I'd love to travel if I could, but that at this point in life those $60 need to go for rent, food and gasoline. They don't care. I explained how I'd been trying to cancel for days and couldn't get thru, next thing you know, they're billing my card. I wasn't allowed to cancel, I couldn't log in. This entire operation is shady!!! I was finally given a $59.95 credit for future travel--which is great, assuming I could afford to travel, which I CANNOT at this time. Oh, and you must book a flight within 60 days of receiving said credit. UNBELIEVABLE, these people.

I told "Michael Bay" that he should be ashamed, and that I knew HE knew he worked for a shady company with poor business practices, and that I hoped one day he'd leave it and go to a reputable one. Indians are generally such good people, and they truly believe in karma...well, this Michael Bay needs to watch out, because what he has coming back to him is unreal.

Spirit Airlines is bad folks, please don't fly them, even if you think it's your only option. They are rip-off artists and have no Customer Service. They'll place you on hold forever in the hopes that you'll get fed up and hang up. It's very frustrating because they have no empathy or sympathy and will absolutely NOT refund your money, even when they've taken it unjustly. Beware, please!!!

Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:10 PM
volleymomny volleymomny is offline

Join Date: Jul 2011

I purchased 2 one way tickets on Spirit Airlines - I have flown them one other time and was not happy but my daughter will be attending a college in South Carolina which the most convenient airline from NY is Spirit. Today I bought the tickets and received an email from my cc company for $2.00; then for the full amount that my confirmation showed. OK - it's $2.00 I am not going to call the customer service number and be aggravated more. Then I get an email from TRAVEL GUARD INSURANCE comfirming the purchase of travel insurance and from my credit card with a charge for $28.00 from Travel Guard - I called the toll free number for Travel Guard and spoke to a lovely young woman - I explained to her that I didn't purchase this insurance and would be contesting it with my cc company - she told me to send an email and they would refund it within 24 hours - I asked her what the story was and she said you have to UNCHECK the box when purchasing your airline tickets or you automatically buy it - she said when she as shown the Spirit website it looked like an ad to her and she wouldn't realize it was something additional she was purchasing. Just one more reason I hate this airline but will be stuck doing business with them unless someone else starts flying direct from NY's LGA to Myrtle Beach.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:26 PM

Join Date: Sep 2011

It's your responsibility to cancel your membership. When you sign up, you agree that it is auto-renewing, much like any credit card annual fee. Just because you couldn't deal with it or forgot about until they charged you for it is not their fault.

If you're desperate for money and the $60 is that critical then you need to stay on top of auto-renewals.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:29 PM

Join Date: Sep 2011

volleymommy: you bought from Orbitz, right? That $2 is a temporary hold to make sure the CC is valid before they charge the rest of it. When you purchase the ticket you have to decline the insurance. It's shown in the total, so you should have seen it.

When you buy anything online, LOOK at the charges before you hit "buy"!

Then when you called the travelguard people they just refunded it! AWESOME!

So, what's your complaint exactly??
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:57 PM

Adamr...do you read the complaints? TOC tried to cancel it. Spirit had disabled the section on the website to prevent this. It's a scam.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 5:05 PM

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
Yes, I read the complaint completely. He tried to cancel it, but the "password reset" didn't work? No, I'm not buying that. If it was my money, I would call and have my password fixed right away.

What about dispute with the credit card company? That's easy, but obviously too much trouble for him. If a credit card company charges you an annual fee, and you call them, do you think they'll just "refund" it? No. You're stuck.

Why should Spirit be any different? An agreement is an agreement. Stop whining!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 8:31 PM

There are a number if complaints by customers that Spirit blocks or makes it difficult to cancel this scam...if you do it by post it takes about 6 weeks. You cannot cancel it via the credit card company. It has to be cancelled by Spirit. This whole scheme is worthless...
Old Sep 30, 2011, 8:54 PM

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
Every credit card company by law has a dispute policy. If it really came to that, it would be handled there.

And it doesn't seem to me to be a scam, it's a loyalty program for frequent fliers that auto-renews.

This person stated that he willingly signed up for it to save money on tickets!
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:28 AM

The dispute policy doesn't apply, which I suspect you know very well. Have we chance sparred before? I suspect so...
Old Oct 3, 2011, 1:21 PM

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
Dispute policy doesn't apply? Do you live in the USA? In this country, the law protects the customer through a dispute/chargeback policy.

You're curious if we've "sparred" before? No, this isn't sparring. I would guess by your relentless attack of airlines you are a former employee that has been fired.

In any event, stick to the facts if you want to appear legitimate.

$9 Fare Club - Won't Be Cancelled upsetflyer2011 FREE SPIRIT Complaints 7 Apr 23, 2012 10:51 PM
Customer Service Spirit Airlines ripoff $9 Fare Club a joke sgolesh Spirit Airlines Complaints 9 Sep 29, 2011 7:03 PM
Reservations Fraudulent Sales Trojan76 JetBlue Airways Complaints 2 Feb 12, 2011 12:12 AM
Fraudulent website for booking Award Travel richeycom Mileage Plus Complaints 14 Mar 16, 2010 3:37 PM